Have gaming wikis legitimately taken something from the experience of the medium, or is it just old people bitching...

Have gaming wikis legitimately taken something from the experience of the medium, or is it just old people bitching? I remember gamefaqs and cheatcc being a thing too.

Attached: wiki.jpg (1995x1060, 313.83K)

Other urls found in this thread:

onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/Talk:Yamato
onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/Yamato#Gender
runescape.salmoneus.net/
runehq.com/
tip.it/runescape/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Strategy guides and help lines existed. It's always been up to the player whether they want to look things up. Only difference now is the internet.

Only if you mentally block out the hours kids used to spend throwing their head against the wall.
They only remember the satisfaction of solving the problem, and not how much it pissed them off at the time

Back in the day I used to just hit up gameFAQs or a prima official guide whenever I got stuck. And I still had a shitload of fun.

So yeah I do think its old people bitching. I honestly think only an adult or late teenager would have the impulse control to not look shit up, and that's fine. That's not a problem.

Attached: 449-427.jpg (449x427, 37.89K)

Wikis can be useful, but they are also anonymous, impersonal, formulaic, generic. A gamefaqs writer can write anything he wants however he wants.

Attached: Bandicoot Crash.gif (480x361, 413.55K)

It's a wiki, you can just edit it however you want.

So can everyone else, and in the case of Wikia the admins will personally interfere if they don't like what you're doing. They recently ruled that a certain One Piece character is a tranny and you are not allowed to say otherwise.

onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/Talk:Yamato
>Based on user consensus paired with guidance from FANDOM staff, our position is that Yamato is to be identified as male in our articles.

So respect trans folk

Rope yourself.

Attached: YWNBAW.png (336x425, 137.15K)

>go to a game wiki
>images are .webp

Attached: 1427326310800.jpg (640x641, 66.31K)

Yes, getting up in arms about a pronoun for a fictional character is totally sane.

Wikia administrators personally stepping in so they can make a character (that they have zero ownership over) into a tranny is obviously perfectly sane.

Some wikis are shitty and have misinformation. As others said some wiki mods are really crappy, even worse than gamefaqs mods. I think fandom is really shitty it doesn’t just play ads it plays fucking eceleb livestreams while I just want to browse a wiki. That wiki that does Souls games is also really bad, I forget what it’s called but man it’a insufferable.

wiki is full of useless drama and power-tripping faggots, whereas faqs were more of an individual thing and cheat websites just a list of easter eggs and well, cheat codes

Ah FExtra that was it, so shitty and it’s robot generated wikis to win the algorithm.

onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/Yamato#Gender

There's what ACTUALLY happened

Not really, it’s not just some one site, it’s datamining + the race to be first to discover everything so you can claim fame for it + information spreading like wildfire in modern internet era. Wikis aren’t a core problem in that equation.

What happened is that you trannies have to make everything about yourselves and your monomaniacal gender ideology obsession.

I always tack on -fextralife at the end of any Souls or Monster Hunter search because of how fucking retarded that entire site is.

It depends. Some games both in the past and now have terrible quest and story design; the classic "who would EVER think to do this?" and the ability to miss things on your playthrough with no warning or ability to go back is extremely frustrating and wikis alleviated that problem, but at the same time, they reduced the thrill of discovery and the unknown.

The correct solution for both is for game developers to simply give clues and better signposting for things in their games.

Attached: furry spirit quest.jpg (960x958, 163.53K)

>virtually every character in history is cis-normative, despite trans people having existed for as long as people have existed
>a single character out of millions is confirmed transgender
>"omg everything isnt about you help help I'm being white genocided help!"
Shut the fuck up. You pissbabies have ruined gaming, I'm honestly embarrassed to associate with the culture at this point. Nobody likes you, nobody wants you, GO AWAY.

Post 2006 internet has killed the adventure of gaming, it's the entire thing that causes problems
>Wiki
>Youtube
>Twitch
>Addons
>Reddit
>Any Forums
>Discord
>Twitter
>Dataminer derps
All of it is bad for online gaming.

>They recently ruled that a certain One Piece character is a tranny
Oda confirmed that. FtM, user.

>despite trans people having existed for as long as people have existed
They existed and they roped, go away troon you lost the culture war

You didn't "confirm" shit, tranny, and it's not your series or your character or your culture. This is why more and more people hate you.

>help help I'm being white genocided help!"
White genocide is real and is primarily conducted through mass immigration.

>You pissbabies have ruined gaming
No, you did.

>Nobody likes you, nobody wants you, GO AWAY.
Fuck off.

I'm a zoomer (27) and I don't think so, although admittedly the games I've played usually aren't very well documented on wikis anyway
When I was a kid I had strategy guides which were often inaccurate and overpriced, then I found gamefaqs and they were nice and I appreciated the effort people put into documenting the games

No he didn't.

yeah
runescape.salmoneus.net/
How can people possibly enjoy MMOs these days?
runehq.com/
When there's simply so much information immediately available to you from day 1?
tip.it/runescape/
Not like when I played MMOs

every god damn time

Attached: angerspurdo.png (600x471, 421.77K)

I fucking HATE how fandom has taken over the wiki space.
I fucking HATE their shit layout.
I fucking HATE their nigger fucking, completely unrelated videos that autoplay on every page, take up half the screen, and FOLLOW AS YOU SCROLL DOWN THE PAGE.
FUCK YOU FAGGOTS

Wikis are great for in depth information. I only really use them to look up items and it usually has better descriptions and links to other trivia. Sometimes you get down rabbit holes.

Surely something is lost, and surely it's the nature of any technological medium. If you can understand post-industrial civilization as a catastrophe that's repeatedly and continuously destroying traditions and structures of heredity, necessitating new technological developments in response (which necessarily cannot partake of the historical perspective which the prior annihilation severed from the continuum of knowledge), which then beget further novel forms of unanticipated crisis and collapse, then it ought to be possible to see each successive emanation from the source to be in some sense both an infinitesimally minor dilution of any given thing's essence, and also tantamount to the most-ultimate eradication of all meaning and preciousness yet at any given successive instant. In other words, yea, it's worse, but so was the last thing. Up to you to determine for yourself what that means, if anything

Attached: 1653882468789.gif (450x253, 4M)

And that edit will stay up for 5 minutes until the level 99 autist who thinks he owns the page reverts it.

yeah but without Mr. Level 99 the page would be vandalised immediately. Wikis just suck

Wiki is a democracy of effort. You either care more than he does, or the fandom really does belong to him in a real sense.