What's the best way to play Doom 3? BFG or classic? What exactly does BFG change anyway?

What's the best way to play Doom 3? BFG or classic? What exactly does BFG change anyway?

Attached: Doom3box.jpg (283x352, 23.04K)

Other urls found in this thread:

doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom_3:_BFG_Edition#Differences_with_Doom_3
doomworld.com/forum/topic/113479-list-of-things-removed-in-doom-3-2019/
moddb.com/mods/absolutehd
dhewm3.org/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You play the 2016 version since Doom 3 is as far away from Doom as it can be

I feel like I have to play Doom 3 as a Doom fan because I've played every single Doom game (aside from RPG) except from Doom 3. 2016, 64, Final Doom, even some of the Master Levels for Doom II, just not Doom 3

Classic with mods is best

what BFG edition changes:
>ammo pickups are doubled
I don't mind this too much, but I think doubling it might have been a bit overboard, maybe 1.5x would be more balanced if they wanted to increase the ammo amount
>adds a shoulder mounted flashlight that doesn't last very long, but has a battery that recharges quite quickly
I'm fine with this, I think the flashlight being a separate weapon that you switch to was just shit, fanboys will argue that it's intentional design, and it is, but that doesn't mean it's GOOD design
>brightens up every single area of the game
unforgivable trash, this ruins a lot of the hard shadows and lighting effects that the game had, having a rechargeable flashlight was good enough for improving the brightness, they really didn't need to make every location brighter on top of this

I'd say play the original with 2 mods:
the duct tape mod which adds the flashlight onto your gun like the BFG edition, except without any time limit or need to recharge, you can just turn it on or off at will
and a mod to improve the shotgun; Doom 3's shotgun is fucking weird, it fires 13 pellets that each do really high damage, but counters this by making the spread atrocious and random, like as bad as the Doom 2 SSG spread except with less than half the pellets, what this means is that the shotgun becomes a melee weapon in Doom 3, but the chainsaw already fills that role and doesn't require reloading on top of being perfectly accurate; the best mod I found lowered the damage-per-pellet but also reduced the spread to be a nice even grouping, making it closer to the shotgun from something like DN3D
both of these mods were created within a year of release and were the most popular for the longest time on fileplanet, because even back then people recognized that these things needed improvement, it's only lately that a bunch of contrarian nostalgic retards are saying that both things are fine

Doom 3 is completely different, is more like Resident Evil than Doom, you can play but just be advised is a completely different game than all the previous ones, play the BFG edtion if you want, but please play the 2016 and Eternal, they're what Doom fans grew up with

metadoom is epic
release with some mods because bfg edition and other modern versions make things worse and barely fix 3's problems

2016 and Eternal also deviate from OG Doom. though.
They're faster and are more about fast combat on arenas with lots of mobility, alt fires, RPG upgrades, fight for resources and different enemy patterns compared to the first person maze wanderers of the 90's.
Anyone who ever wanted "more of the real Doom" might as well not know what a "wad" is.
Doom is not the same as it ever was and that is not a bad thing.

BFG
Reddit

>>ammo pickups are doubled
>I don't mind this too much, but I think doubling it might have been a bit overboard, maybe 1.5x would be more balanced if they wanted to increase the ammo amount
Who even wanted that? The original basically showers you with ammo. I shotgunned every zombie and imp, ignored melee pretty much, and still was topped and had to pass some pick-ups.

I agree they are not the 80's Doom, but just like Wolfenstein, they made Doom for a new generation without sacrificing the past, it made it fresh and new but without devianting from its roots

Let it always be known
doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom_3:_BFG_Edition#Differences_with_Doom_3
doomworld.com/forum/topic/113479-list-of-things-removed-in-doom-3-2019/
Even D3 fans should know how BFG edition worsens the game beyong just making the flash light shoulder mounted

It's not even that, Doom's own identity has always been a mess and awkwardly presented it's no wonder people argue over what it should be or make up stuff through mods or fanart as their own interpretations.
Some people associate the main games with shit made up from the fanbase and they don't even know it.
That's probably why the games sticked with people and justifies how later games do their own thing.

Id don't even knew wtf they wanted with Doom 3, I guess they wanted the Resident Evil people and made Silent Hill 4 equivalent of it

The shotgun mod does sounds interesting and I have heard about how terrible Doom 3's shotgun is, but does it mess with the design/gameplay? I don't mind getting mods that change aspects of gameplay but I'm always a bit weary of them affecting the balance or deviating too much from the developer's vision

Play the original disc version on a windows XP computer with CRT monitor

They wanted HL2/SS2 audience that's System Shock 2, no Serious Sam 2 or SchutzStaffel 2

Just play it vanilla. Shotgun is fine:
>It deals massive amounts of damage at point blank
>D3 has headshots for every weapon (including rockets and BFG)
>for anything longer than dick length you get an SMG early which is pinpoint precise and has a large mag capacity

If you are playing D3 for historical reasons, no reason to install some xXxDaRk_SlAyErxXx's "realistic shotgun damage" mod.

I think it's a way to address how some guns can go underutilized by a lack of ammo, mainly the chaingun, plasma, and RPG, but rather than just increasing the amount that the ammo pickups for those specific guns, they just did a blanket 2x ammo for EVERY ammo drop, most likely out of laziness

I mean technically it does mess with the
intended design, but the intended design makes the shotgun suck dick if the enemy is more than 2ft away from you, which is contrary to how it worked in Doom 1 or basically any 90's shooter
I like pump action shotguns being reliable workhorse guns, but Doom 3's is just a point blank "erase enemy" button that is fucking useless in every other scenario, and I never liked it from day 1 when I got the game for free on 3 CD's with a graphics card that I bought in 2003

in the end of the day it's up to you, you can try vanilla and see how you like it, but I'm really not a fan, and I think if more of the original id team hadn't been fired from the company then they never would have let the shotgun release like that

moddb.com/mods/absolutehd

Use this mod, doesn't change anything about the game, just makes it visually look less dated.

I don't know, midgame I was sitting on top of huge amount of ammo belts and cells. One little thing I always LOVED about D3 is how when you first get the PG outside of secrets, you're moving through an area with a ton of cells (it's some kind of reactor you need to shut down IIRC), so you can have fun with your new toy.

Though I always found D3 PG a bit underwhelming after the original. When I played D3 I would always stop the burst a bit too early to kill an imp because in my mind it was supposed to be dead already.

Resurrection of Evil brings back the super shotgun. Is the spread on that even worse? Because that's how it works in Doom 2 and most other games so if the spread on the shotgun is already bad, imagine the super shotgun, lol

lmao zoomies saying 2016/Eternal is good but Doom 3 is trash
imagine having your taste dictated by an algorithm

Can I play Lost Mission with the original Doom 3?

You just slurped poop and now you're bragging about it?

Doom 3 is so fucking bad.

RoE is fun, it looks less polished than OG and more... dated somehow, but the encounters are beefed up. The SSG in it is weird, sometimes it doesn't kill that game's not-imps at relatively close range (they have like 10% more health than plain imps and almost replace them as that game's fodder).

Xbox Series X version from Slayer's Edition, unironically. It has either upscaled or original textures, looks incredibly sharp even compared with PC version.

They're just uncompressed original textures, shame nobody managed to mod them into the PC version yet.

Literally just went through this today. Get the original version from steam to get the data, then use a community modernized version of the game like: dhewm3.org/

By getting the original game you get the full moddable data which the community will always have a client for.

Does Doom 3 have a modding scene? The only Doom 3 mod I know about is Dark Mod which is weird because Dark Mod is a pretty impressive project, and you'd think there would be more Doom 3 mods since you make stuff like Dark Mod. Or did Source overshadow it for whatever reason?

Imagine eating this much corporate shit just to be a contrarian faggot, Doom 3 is fucking shit and no amount of nostagia googles is gonna fix it, 2016 is what Doom fans were waiting for

BFG is fine, but make sure to play Nightmare-mode. Turns the game from "make it end" into an actual fun challenge.

talking about eating corporate shit, 2016 is a demo for eternal, you bought a demo full price and then went along and bought eternal, doom GAAS, doom guy meme, civvie and you love it. pay up zoomie.