This is 20+ years' worth of Smash rosters. What went right, what went wrong?

Several characters only had a small window of relevancy and were lucky to be picked at their time, others not so. What do you think? What's missing and thankfully present from these 20 years?

Attached: SSBU_Character_Select_DLC.jpg (1280x720, 427.83K)

What's missing:
>Paper Mario
>Waluigi
>FPS Rep
What went wrong:
>3 Kid Icarus characters
>8 Fire Emblem characters

Scizor is missing.

rosterfags went wrong. most of you retards don't even play the game. can't wait for smash 6 to cut down half the roster

I always felt like Custom Robo was going to have a rep early on. Only discovered it via Smash trophies in melee, where it had a surprising amount, and then bought the GameCube game later out of curiosity. Was happy to see Ray in Brawl as an assist trophy, but after that, only the Mii Gunner costume and some spirits in Ultimate reference it. Not even 4 had trophies of it anymore. I don't even think people are really clamouring for Ray anymore.

Custom's one of those IPs that had enough history to merit more representatiojn than it got. See also Advance Wars or Rhythm Heaven.

>what went wrong
Banjo and Sora. Simple as. Get those memes out of Smash and replace them with something far better.

The basest comment in the entire history. Thank God *Le awesome Geno* didn't make it in, who the fuck cares.
Memers wanted Banjo and Sora and virtually no one plays them when I'm online

Dixie Kong seems like the last piece of the puzzle to me personally.

Attached: donkey_kong_country_3_-_dixie_kongs_double_trouble_usa.jpg (475x347, 46.46K)

If you take Banjo as a Rare rep that's far from a meme pick. Rare is an important part of Nintendo's past.

Attached: 1652572581476.png (1323x392, 182.77K)

>What's missing
Basically nothing. Everyone who should be in was in by the time Banjo and Hero happened. I guess ARMS representation and additional Xenoblade representation could have been arguable at that point but not nearly as strong as some of the other modern characters like Inkling and Isabelle. The only things that might be somewhat arguable now is
>additional Splatoon representation
>Waluigi?
>Dixie?
>Ryu Hayabusa?
All things you'd get to after you've covered all your other bases.

He's in

Attached: F9hWqnh.jpg (1080x1920, 1.12M)

The problem is that since Smash Bros. Ultimate has every previous Smash Bros. character, you end up with a fuckton of Fire Emblem characters because they would always get swapped out in every entry before.

>What's missing
Dixie Kong
Paper Mario
Ryu Hayabusa
Shin Megami Tensei
Goldeneye 64/Perfect Dark
Tom Nook
>What went wrong
Corrin
Pyra and Mythra
Min Min
Incineroar
Byleth
Joker only repping Purseowner, and basically only 1 of them
Isabelle

Pretty minor list of gripes, all things considered.

Attached: 1492454316505.jpg (500x500, 121.16K)

This. Everything else is just icing at this point. Some old series and games being represented would be cool, but most of the characters there are fine.

I am still very grateful that Ridley finally got added to the roster. He was my single most wanted character for Smash for over 15 years, and probably my favorite game villain ever.

Attached: ridleytux.png (1300x1300, 825.84K)

>missing
a Mario RPG rep
some scrimblos like Crash or Rayman feel like odd displacements
the fact that Porky isnt in the game at all for 0 fucking reason
FPS reps have butt nothing, which feels unearned
also no Travis Touchdown was a huge letdown
>What went wrong
Nomura

Lip would’ve been in if Panel de Pon wasn’t a clusterfuck of different IPs.

I don't care for all the Fire Emblem characters, and some of the pokemon. They are just there because they were new at the time.
Some of the clones are also kinda meh, but they are probably lower effort than real characters, so whatever. They definitely served a purpose in Melee, to enlargen the roster.
I would have liked Bomberman. Maybe Reimu and Doomguy. I think the roster is generally pretty good.

>can't wait for smash 6 to cut down half the roster
Shrinking the roster down to the size of Melee, getting rid of all third parties along with the first parties that are clearly filler (Rosalina, Bowser Jr., the surplus of Fire Emblem and Pokémon, etc.), and compensating for all that loss with a killer single player and multiplayer would cure the community overnight. There will be nuclear levels of outrage of course but it won't last. The game will still sell and more importantly, it will remind people of the simpler joys of the old days. Smash 4's ballot was the beginning of the end.

>can't wait for smash 6 to cut down half the roster
>mfw I hate rosterfags but love my main and don't want to play someone else and losing them would probably make me stop doing local tourneys

Attached: 1531195661935.jpg (400x325, 106.07K)

Neither are meme picks. They're only "meme picks" if you considered popular choices to be "meme picks". Among Us Imposter and Freddy Fazbear are "meme picks"

Sellout to 3rd parties for marketing. Characters like ganondorft still being shockingly lazy instead of making him his own character and giving his current moveset to black shadow.

I’m personally hoping next smash will cut like a third, maybe even a half of the roster and will add just a ton of newcomers to make the roster the same size or maybe even larger. It’d be absolutely hilarious to see people who make all these imaginary rules about who can’t get in watch their main get cut and be replaced by their least wanted. There’d be a ton of seething floating around. The funny thing is, despite all the controversy with some fans, it’d still sell just as much if not more than ultimate.

You will die mad

Attached: 1545720829839.png (586x647, 47.57K)

Yeah this is how I see it. Just think of Cloud as general FF and Marth and Robin as sword and magic reps for FE respectively.

Attached: download (31).png (1140x918, 1.56M)

3rd party wank. It was okay for the few characters that had extensive history with Nintendo but the rest of that shit was for the retarded hype reaction seeking crowd that don't even play the game.

Too many regular proportioned humanoids with swords.

Spbp

Switch these:
>Bowser Jr.
>Little Mac
>Duck Hunt
>Bayonetta
>Ness
>Captain Falcon
>Zero Suit Samus
>Toon Link
>Young Link
>Pokemon Trainer