RTX came out 4 years ago

>RTX came out 4 years ago
>Still only a handful of games that make good use of it
>Still tons of games that don't even have functional mirrors
What went wrong?

Attached: mirrors.jpg (1920x1920, 514.17K)

>What went wrong?
NVidia pushed for raytracing way before GPUs were capable of doing it properly, just so they had a gimmick to sell their new line of cards.

?????????????????????
open/g/lfag here
is it so hard to:
>invert the camera matrix
>clip everything "behind" the mirror using clipping planes
>store result into a frame buffer
>render said frame buffer as texture onto the mirror, using transformations to orientate the view correctly
>use a bunch of other shaders to give the mirror texture some material instead of being a flat plane, like lighting effects

and now retards refer to ray tracing as rtx, they won and I hate it.

>working mirrors: check
>stencil shadows: check
>phong shading: check
>MSAA: check
Yep, it's gamer time.

Now propose a way to do that in 2022 AAA games without gutting performance harder than ray-tracing ever could.

Doesn't add much to the game. If there was some game with gameplay elements involving reflections (say Portal style puzzle) then maybe it would be somewhat worth it.

>What went wrong?
Raytracing is a dumb gimmick and bake lights were always a better solution.
Just don't use the bake lights included with unreal engine and unity because LITERALLY, THE ENTIRE FUCKING INDUSTRY knows they suck.

Yes, because everything has to go through the standard PBR workflow, because reasons.

And you people laugh at John Blow when he made a puzzle game with reflection mechanics.

>Just bake everything!!1

No.

Attached: dynamic vs baked.gif (796x270, 2.76M)

How did LA Noir handle reflections? I thought it was a second room until I went into a room with a working mirror that you could look behind.

For scene's global illumination? Yes, bake that shit.
Having baked global illumination doesn't mean you can't have dynamic lighting.

Attached: 30-2.jpg (720x697, 30.18K)

>RTX kills performa-

Attached: doom rtx.png (1500x923, 444.05K)

ray tracing is so much more than just reflections

>just render at 1080p on your $1000 GPU bro

>Can't move light sources because their bounces are baked and would have the illusion broken with the tiniest bit of scrutiny
>Oh, but at least you have shadow maps that are too blurry for self-shadowing to work, so you'd better hope the screen space shadows won't break!
Nice "dynamic" lighting, faggot.

Good ol late 2000s

It clearly shows the 3080 Ti achieving 101 FPS at 4K.

What he meant is that it actuall renders at lower resolution and then uses dlss shenanigans to upscale the image

What's the difference between top-middle and bottom-middle?

What I mean is that even without doing that, the performance is still high.