The CEO of New Blood says the Epic Games Store is a "marketing black hole"

>The CEO of New Blood says the Epic Games Store is a "marketing black hole".
Oof. That doesn't sound good. Is he right Any Forums?

Attached: egs.png (610x459, 45.14K)

Anyone following games in recent years can see that. EGS ate up every single larger indie / AA PC game for the past few years and they've all just gone completely under the radar. I'm pretty sure it's seriously hurt to scene too, I don't know if it can recover now since there's no longer anywhere people talk about those sorts of games.

It's not the first time a dev has said something like that. Seems like it's pretty much a pointless battle. Steam IS pc at this point and no storefront will change that.

Attached: 56757567567.png (590x292, 34.34K)

It's fine. Steam had a rough start as well.

the craziest thing was how hades was on EGS for years and nobody gave a shit until it released on steam and became one of the most popular indie games ever

>Darkest Dungeon 2
>Salt and Sacrifice
>Axiom Verge 2
Any other sequel hype EGS ruined?

>I'm pretty sure it's seriously hurt to scene too,
How could it have hurt the indie scene? As far as I'm aware with Epic the deal is approx 1yr exclusive and Tim covers their entire budget. I agree that marketing/sales do take a negative effect during that period but the devs aren't loosing money in the end.

Hades was the funniest, it fucking exploded when it hit steam.

>release early access game
>it rapes the corpse of the original game and delivers a meh experience
>fanbase returns to the first game

Why is no one talking about Darkest Dungeons 2?

Doesn't matter if individual devs stay alive if there's nobody's out there looking for mid market games when they return.

Metro Exodus & Hitman 3 are probably the biggest once I can think of.

Yes it's a shame. Good indie games have a chance to skyrocket simply for being on Steam. Fall Guys, Among Us, Valheim, Vampire Survivors, Phasmophobia, Splitgate, The Forest, V Rising. These games would be dead and buried if they were Epic exclusive. I'm sure the Epic money is good for a while but you are probably killing your IP in the long run.

If you force me to buy a game on a store i dont want to use i wont buy your game. simple as.

Attached: 1024.gif (640x640, 3.06M)

well i am getting my free games with my associated steam account for the inevitable buyout by steam
never installed the launcher, never installed any game

The problem comes from the fact that when it does release on steam a year later the devs can charge full price and retards will buy it. So there is literally no reason for them to not take the money and get paid to effectively just delay the game

considering the state of Darkest Dungeon 1 when it was in early access I'm content just waiting for the release. it being on the SHITpic games store just makes it that much easier.
It does make me think less of the devs for taking a bribe for exclusivity, so I might just pirate the release anyways.

>Paying devs a huge sum of money just for being on your platform instead on incentivizing them to make a good game and earn the money themselves through the free market

EGS and ESG have both been instrumental in the downfall of the gaming industry

MechWarrior 5.

Multiple developers say this and people still argue that Steam doesn't have an effective monopoly over the PC market.

That's also when it hit switch, wasn't it?

GoG is still fine
I wouldn't use it for indie games but it has its niche of old games made runnable on modern systems, and for that it's still fantastic

no one stopped EGS from trying to provide a service that was as good or better than steam, but instead they tried to buy their way into the market with paid exclusivity, a cancer that should stay in consoles

Also, DD2 fucking sucked

Steam competes on features and their competitors simply do not. It's like if I made the worlds only mechanical toothbrush, should the government punish me because no one else wants to make a mechnical toothbrush?

service problem
GoG persists because it offers services that Steam doesn't (DRM free, updating old games to be compatible with modern OS, etc.)
EGS provides nothing that Steam and GoG don't already offer

The point is the "monopoly" exists because of the standard Steam sets, Gabe isn't paying devs not to have their game on other platforms, Tim is.

>years
Literally one (1) year.

The problem is that epic games is ass to browse. In steam, I can click on a few options to the left of the home page and be fed all kinds of games that interest me. The lists are clean and you can easily browse them. EGS has this weird mobile style interface with HUGE icons for each game that feels like ass to look through.

Its pretty much a devils bargain. Can your game survive zero press while you enter the oubliette for at least a year and use Tims dirty money to progress the game to make up for the lost time when you get on steam?
For many titles its a hard No, but you occaisonally have games like Hades that can pull out. Meanwhile I feel TWEWY will have permanently hobbled PC sales because they were shackled long enough for all the hype to go away.
EGS really has made life worse

Metro and MW5 were also laughed as buggy pieces of shots that were fixed into playable state in the year before they were released in Stram

hes right
epic is awful, the UI is awful, games go there to disappear

FFXVI

mechwarrior is niche enough that you can reasonably assume that there was no hype in the sense that the people who had no idea about the game would not have bought it anyway, and the people who knew what it was were willing to wait and see whether the game was actually good or not.

DD1 was only good when it was in very EA though

I have never spent a single cent on the epic games store, I only pirated games locked to it lol

Attached: 4c58417240a617ab1d8df21f03b3fb9e.jpg (600x600, 230.35K)

EGS timed exclusivity is used as a paid extra year to develop the game they often are unfinished buggy messes when they release for fun price there.

I can almost sympathize with Tim Sweeney. I mean how are you gonna compete with Steam? How many stores have tried and failed. Every store I try is so barebones and 10+ years behind Steam in features. Even if Epic Store had a top of the line experience and features most people already have huge libraries on Steam. And people who wants to play PC games with their friends will with a high probability have to install Steam cause all his friends have it. Tim had no choice but to throw endless Chinese money into a black hole in hopes it would make a dent on Steam. But it doesn't seem to work. Nothing works. It's crazy what position Valve managed to create.

I can buy God of War on Steam, CDkeys, Green Man Gaming, gg.deals, xxlgamer. Competition

I can only buy Darkest Dungeon 2 on Epic. Monopoly.

nothing wrong with a natural monopoly

they provide the best service

>make mediocre game
>take Tim's money
>use money to make a good game
>release it on Steam exclusively
heh, thanks timmy..

Devs barely care about steam, why would they care about additional PC store LMAO
Imagine wasting billions on this shitto

you realize its because Epic provides an absolute shit service right? You can't complain about a monopoly in an industry where there is no real tangible barrier to entry and then do a shit job when you jump into the race. Tim has been fucking this shit up since day 1 and seems to actively hate consumers.

It has nothing to do with the actions Valve is taking though
Steam got big once disc-based DRM hit the critical breaking point of limited online-activated installs and players said "No more!"
Long before that though there were multiple digital PC game distributors like Direct2Drive and GamersGate
Valve simply got lucky that companies like Activision decided to release their big AAA titles on Steam instead of competing platforms or even making their own services which EA tried and briefly succeeded at

The issue is that EGS just sucks. People have said this countless time and you're saying people should just suck it up and eat shit.

>I can buy God of War on Steam, CDkeys, Green Man Gaming, gg.deals, xxlgamer. Competition
Imagine thinking buying steam keys especially grey market steam keys, is a valid argument. That's retardation on a whole other level.
This user is valid
Except for the GOG part, GOG is barely surviving and there's zero reason to use it

>>I can only buy Darkest Dungeon 2 on Epic. Monopoly.
That's not how Monopolies work.

Tbh, people who buy old games are wise enough to know how to Google and download compatibility patches and fixes.

This, to actually use my switch controller on EGS, I have to run steam big picture mode in the background. It's so fucking stupid how they don't support controllers that don't have xinput

Switch release was way later

>Imagine thinking buying steam keys especially grey market steam keys, is a valid argument. That's retardation on a whole other level.
It's literally like buying the game from retailer. Are you going to call physical games a cancer now?
Publishers can generate the keys for free without paying Valve any royalties. Publisher sell keys to retailers.
Otherwise why publishers wouldn't just stop distributing keys, like Activision did?

Steam allows devs and publishers to generate their own keys to make third party sales.

>It's literally like buying the game from retailer.
No it's not. Stop acting retarded. Or at least I'm hoping you're just acting.

My brother in christ, many many features of Steam are completely open source. Timmy just has to copy and paste the shit over. Steamplay? Fossilize? Open source. Streaming? Moonlight/Sunlight is open source. A Linux or Mac port? EGS just runs in a Chrome browser anyway, an unpaid intern could make an Electron version and release it in a week. Not making a store that sucks ass? Literally just copy Steam. Steam input? How hard could it be for a billion dollar company? There is really no excuses anymore.

Attached: 1611869809980.jpg (702x702, 57.41K)

I didn't say GoG was a market leader, just that it has survived and done well enough to stay in business for over a decade because it offers a niche that isn't covered by the other storefronts (DRM free and updating older games).
Yes, most people that like to play older games know how to find compatibility patches on their own but GoG's service is still a value added option that generally isn't offered anywhere else.
You pay for the convenience of not having to patch it yourself and you get a copy of the game that you will own (since you can save the installer), rather than a license that can be revoked at any time.