What mistakes did you make building your first gaming pc

what mistakes did you make building your first gaming pc

Attached: 1639785497900.jpg (400x400, 27.07K)

I just pay a nerd to do it for me

I bought Intel, worst mistake I have ever made.

there's your first mistake

no money

Bought a brand new PSU that was busted and didn’t work at all and was tearing my hair out for and nature day thinking it was something with the motherboard causing the problem.

Cheaped out on the PSU. Don't do this, kids.

bought an expensive GPU with shit CPU, bottleneck to the core, abysmal experience

i bought a motherboard that wasn't compatible with my cpu
i also messed up the 4 heat sink pins so it ran really hot until i worked out what wrong and fixed it

Bought an AMD bulldozer cpu. Kept me away from AMD ever since even though I know they dont have these problems anymore

too much ram

i thought the OS was installed on the motherboard so i trashed my old HDD without having any boot disc or whatever

Attached: handsomepix.png (200x150, 840)

I chose an AMD FX-8120 for the CPU. Bulldozer was so fucking trash at gaming. The Radeon 7950 graphics card was amazing though.

none, I was assembling computers since I was 14

I bought a good PSU in terms of power, but didn't buy a modular one so now I have a good few cables everywhere, jammed into the back of the case.

Other than that it works and i'm happy I can game

Accidentally installed a stock fan instead of the decent one I bought separately, and had to remove and reapply thermal paste.
Other than that, all went smoothly

I use stock fans but use my own homemade thermal paste.

GPU too big. I pushed and pushed until it fit snuggly and i had no problems only with the drivers

Anyone who defended Bulldozer back in the day was coping. Anyone who defends it now is just lying.

I didn't bother setting up the warranty on my first psu, boy was that a mistake.
I also didn't get enough cooling fans.

There was a loud popping sound when I turned it on and I briefly smelled smoke. Tried to figure out what caused it but couldn't. Decided to just roll with it and never ran into any issues.

Attached: 1474328736196.gif (400x225, 1.99M)

none
by the time I could build my own pc I had learned and seen enough from my brother

None. But I seem to have this curse where all the PSUs I buy have a defect and have this fan clicking noise when they reach higher speeds. Annoying as fuck.
At least I think it's the PSU.

I bought a 120mm AIO to cool a 6 core i7... Back in 2010
Eventually I replaced it with an NZXT Havuk 140 which kept the CPU cool under an all core OC at 4.2ghz
GPU was a 5870, which was eventually upgraded to a 7970, and finally dual GTX Titans

plugged front panel shit wrong way

couldn't be bothered doing the snake charming ritual to properly tighten all 4 screws on the CPU cooler so i just tightened 3 like that one really shitty video from the verge
it kept working until i replaced the stock cooler with a better one and actually bothered to properly tighten all the screws this time

Attached: 1599676586871.jpg (281x261, 12.03K)

I bought a high end model 970 instead of getting a cheaper one, or a 980 which was a small difference. Card still runs great all these years after repasting though
Also let the PC shop assemble it (they offered to for free, bought everything from them) they forgot to plug in case fans and I noticed a month later. But they also saved me money by not letting me buy an expensive meme motherboard so they're cool, bought another PC from them again, but I assembled it that time

bught a 27 inch

Attached: large_thumbnail.jpg (910x512, 34.82K)