The Witness

So what was it all about?
>Perspectives dooood!
And that's it? Braid at least had a commentary on obssesion and guilt that could have waried interpretations. The Witness just feels like an art gallery exhibit that was organized by a third party by slapping together a bunch of different artworks of different authors that just barely had somethkng in common and called it a day.

Attached: header.jpg (460x215, 40.54K)

The Witness
Stray
Obra Dinn
Outer Wilds

What is the name for this kind of game?

i enjoyed the puzzles
the environment was nice
the perspective stuff was a nice trick
i don't care for, or about, j.blow's autistic takes on other things

>What is the name for this kind of game?

Hard to say since those four have literally nothing in common.

>The Witness
Puzzle game / Myst clone
>Stray
Didn't play so can't tell
>Obra Dinn
Puzzle game
>Outer Wilds
Open world exploration game / Elden Ring, but 3 years early, better made and more creative

It's about reverse engineering the "truth" from experimentation and observation and using that truth to make things happen, instead of going "but wat do i do??" and waiting to be spoonfed the answer like an NPC. Or if you want to bait Any Forums, it's about agnosticism vs christcuckery.
Both the puzzles and the lame voice clips play into this.

>about
There is barely any story in there really and what's there feels extremely tacked on. I just ignore it and enjoy exploring comfy as fuck island and doing enjoyable puzzles. It's easily my favourite puzzle game
Some of the audio log quotes were nice though. Contemplative. Many felt pretentious

Attached: 20190122135201_1.jpg (1920x1080, 407.82K)

I started playing The Witness recently. Got like 90 minutes in and stopped for the day. Figured I'd keep playing the next day, but it's now been a week and I find that I just don't care. Does it get better as it goes along, or is it literally 10+ hours of the same thing?

Well, what turned you off? If its the puzzles being boring then that ends fast. If you veered off and found puzzles that make zero sense, then that is very much what the game will be for a long time, until you find enough "tutorial" puzzles to get what the game wants from you.

That's really all it is. Opinion, but, if you like 3D puzzle games but found the Witness fucking boring visually, thematically and gameplay wise, give Talos Principle a try. Pretty sure it does literally everything Witness does, and then some, but better.

>So what was it all about?
"Don't be too obsessed with finding meaning where there isn't any."
Pretty much a modern version of Takeshi's Challenge's "Don't take video games so serious".

So, in other words, a god-tier shitpost that incentivizes you to do exactly what it is criticizing?

yes
Now play The Looker for maximum Blow-Butthurt.

I hate this because I also felt that was the message, but what the fuck where they thinking?
>puzzle game
>point is to thoroughly explore every nook and cranny
>perspective puzzles and central theme puzzles being 'there could be a puzzle literally anywhere and you need to always look carefully'
>thematic and story theme is then 'don't be obsessed with finding meaning, just relax bro its a game lol'
Fuck off with that nonsense, worst kind of game to use to express that message.

The Talos Principle shits all over The Witness in every single way. Story, actual world lore, graphics, sound design, puzzles, voice acting, and so on. The WItness is pure pretentious wankery while The Talos Principle actually delves into some real philosophy.

Attached: talos.jpg (191x263, 9.81K)

> Many felt pretentious
"solving the puzzle is the reward" = pretentious

>Stray
Is Stray a puzzle game like that? I played for an hour and decided to stop and let my 8 year old nephew play it for me when he visits. But if the puzzles get really complicated then the little dimwit won't be able to play it

It's not that anything turned me off, it's that nothing hooked me. I walked out of some tunnel into an overgrown ruin, solve some puzzles, find a picnic blanket and some fancy pillows that make me thing the ruins aren't actually ruins but built to look like that, solve some more puzzles, hear an Einstein quote that doesn't seem to connect to what I'm doing, turn on a random laser, start wandering and find a bunch of puzzles I can't solve yet. What's the hook? What am I supposed to be doing? Turning on lasers because...? And the more I wander at random the more I start to think that the whole island feels like a corporate retreat designed for team-building exercises. That would explain the fake ruins, the random semi-motivational quotes from famous people, the obviously-modern puzzle pads spread around the island in an obviously designed manner, and the fact that I find puzzles I can't solve yet - that's where the rest of your group comes in to provide their own theories to see if you can't solve it together. It just feels sterile and corporate, rather than comfy and relaxing

Attached: 1637686683220.jpg (225x172, 7.65K)

>Graphics
Ehh... I just googled it and the pics look like some Steam early access asset flip to be honest. However I am intriguied so I'll give it a shot.

>Talos Principle
That one is actually on my list

Forgot to mention the puzzles are actually enjoyable too, and amazingly, constructed in ways that make fucking sense.
>The Witness: 'hey we scattered puzzles all over this fucking island some make sense some don't gotta go find the tutorials for those puzzles first we're an exploration game after all, just with nothing to actually explore or find because all the puzzle areas are clearly labeled and nothing besides bonuses are hidden'
>Talos Principle: 'Here is a puzzle. You have everything you need to solve this puzzle. When you solve this puzzle, you will understand a new way of using this item, that will be required for later puzzles. You cannot reach a puzzle you are not equipped to solve, for you cannot have reached this point otherwise. No tricks. It's all up to you.'

Talos Principle is very boring visually, has really repetitive puzzles and has a gay ass story and writing. It even needs to give you a few dumb responses when talking so the AI you're talking to can call you stupid and talk about superficial AI theory. It's really overrated and has nothing on either Outer Wilds or the Witness

That's true, I forgot about that. I also forgot to mention that the extra star puzzles are REALLY engaging and fun as well. Some of the things where you have to bring elements from outside the "level" to solve them is some 10/10 "think outside the box" design.

Imagine being a person who unironically praises The Witness while trying to claim that The Talos Principle has "repetitive puzzles" and "a gay ass story and writing". Is that you, Jonathan Blow?

Yeah... it's pretty much all like that, although there is one special keypoint mechanic you probaly haven't found yet. I'd say go up to the mountain where the lasers are pointing and try solving the one isolated puzzle panel you find on its edge.

I don't like the Witness that much, and certainly don't care about the story. But you'd have to be blind to think the borrowed asset looking crap that is Talos Principle looks visually better than the handcrafted visuals of the Witness. And also the Witness doesn't waste my time with a shitty story like Talos does

Story is 2deep4me, but the gameplay was great. Explore it at your own pace and everything. Almost like Outer WIlds

Elden Ring is like OW? What about the fighting and shit? I thought it's just a souls game...

Attached: 1465209611898.jpg (512x457, 57.03K)

I don't know, I'm already forgetting I even have it installed. I might just take a short tour for some screenshots and then uninstall it. It's obviously inspired by Myst, and Myst is one of my favorite games, but where Myst makes me curious and intrigued, The Witness fills me with the same feeling I have when I play Sodoku on my phone while waiting for the buss: it's something to fill the void