Share your favorite games, and i have a question

share your favorite games, and i have a question.

do you think video games are "mature" yet?

Attached: image_2022-08-06_033535633.png (544x416, 12.01K)

I love Lisa ( Painful ) and I don't give a fuck if games are not "mature" or "can't be art"

i just think that games lack much meaning alot which is unfortunately in my opinion, considering how much potential for immersive storytelling there really is in video games. and i dont mean the last of us feign bullshit where neil faggotman thinks his game is "art" because the graphics are pretty and the games story and plot have characters that are written with some competence, yknow bare minimum stuff.

Not all games need that, not everyone should strive to achieve that. Do you really need a deep meaning in falling blocks connect game? I'm not saying that you can't have it videogames and stuff, but in the end of a day many people play games for bing bing wahoo and discard any attempt at this stuff as pretentious.

God this game is so good. Wait, uricksaladbar once asked this question through the YouTube community page and also loves LISA, Urick is that you?

never implied EVERY game needs it, some of my favorite games are just that, GAMES. but im just the kind of guy who likes to derive meaning from a game. i saw another thread where this guy was talking about how immersive sims basically dont do the job and i agree with him to an extent. i guess i liked games more when i was a kid because they were just games to me but after reading alot more and watching more movies and playing games with alot of merit outside of the "bing bing wahoo" i just wish i had more games that were just THAT GOOD. it makes it hard to play any games anymore. i tried picking up infamous and devil may cry and as much as i had fun with devil may cry and kind of had fun with infamous i just started to lose interest. its too bad because i miss playing games like i did when i was younger.

i like uricksaladbar but i think hes a bit too pretentious, i say that with some irony considering im kind of pretentious i guess.

I always wonder if video essay types like him have their own game or webcomic or whatever that they're working on in the background, they clearly spend so much time thinking about media but they don't seem to make much of it.

His videos are very well presented but the writing's kinda middle of the road.

What're some of your favourite games? I'm always looking for stuff that manages to be more than the sum of its parts.

i think its kind of like a music critic kinda deal. they like to share their opinions on it but when it comes to writing or creating i dont think alot of them do. regardless im sure SOME do and im like positive at least one video essay guy has contributed to some game or short film or something.

I recommend you just to read books and play whatever you feel like playing. I liked to read Disco Elysium, but it really depends of how much you want to insert yourself as Harry. The best I can recommend you os to play simulator that are not targeted as Immersive sims but have some kind of personal loss mechanics. For example, play Darkest Dungeon with making connections to members in your team, and write their stories in your head through the game, something that many people do only for Reynald and Dismass and something that Red Hook clearly try to capture in second game, but fail to understand it . That said I need to understand what exactly you loved about Lisa so much to recommend you any games in full, because for me it was party members loss mechanic, and that's why I don't like Pointless as much.

Attached: 1659776586856.png (350x304, 6.66K)

i really can only think of a couple games thatve ever amounted to much for me in terms of how good they suffice as a story or with a message or theme. i recommend obviously LISA, but i also think its worth giving killer7 a shot if you havent already. ill also always recommend pathologic, even if its one of the most odd games ive ever played, i still enjoyed it thoroughly. outside of those games, some that ive liked over the years are some of the metal gear games, some of the splinter cell games, exanima is a game i highly recommend everyone play to see if they hate it or love it because i think its one of the best games ive ever played in terms of how much fun ive gotten out of it. kenshi is fun if you have the autism to play it and i love fighting games even if i think theyre totally soulless nowadays.

no i think what youre saying is right. im just a book and movies kinda guy when it comes to stories but ive played games my whole life that i feel like its hard to not want to love them so much. i mean chunks of my life ive dedicated to multiplayer shooters or even roleplaying games but when i really think about all the GREAT games ive played, i guess i just fall short.

the vast majority of games are still made with combat and fun derived from said combat as the main priority
trying to wrap a mature and interesting story around 'you stab or shoot hundreds of people over and over' is practically impossible, and even if one did somehow achieve it, story is always the first thing to be cut or reshuffled in a game when content needs to change
the arcade roots of the medium are still holding us back but not much can change that reality; we've been conditioned for decades now into enjoying that style of game, shooting and stabbing bad guys is a type of play that's been refined for decades
I'm still waiting for the day when we can get a game even 1/4th as beautiful as Fantasia

Attached: 61fbde35c7e076b9b1205a72a1b2ca84036ac4bd_hq.jpg (1024x768, 28.74K)

i think a good example of a game that succeeded in that kind of "shoot or stab hundreds of bad guys" was returnal. i really liked returnal to be honest.

that's a good example of what I was talking about, of wrapping a story around the premise of endless shooting
I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing to want fun games like that, but there's no way Returnal is spiritually uplifting or teaching any moral lessons, it's never going to move someone to tears, although I guess they never intended that for the first place considering their catalogue of games
indies and smaller dev teams for the most part seem to be the ones doing more in the games as art space

Attached: art vidya.jpg (2063x1301, 1.85M)

Silent Hill 2 manages to be a mature and interesting story within those constraints, in my opinion. As does Disco Elysium and (arguably) Fallout: New Vegas. It can be done, it just isn't done often.

silent hill 2 is one of ops favorites. silent hill 1 is too but for a totally different reason.

OMORI made me cry, I'm not sure if it's actually that good but it wouldn't have made me cry if it were a show or a movie or a webcomic.

>Cosmology of Kyoto

Attached: aea[1].png (600x422, 307.72K)

dark souls 1 consistently brought tears to my eyes everytime i got to gwyn.

its really the music, and the look and atmosphere of gwyns fight, hes a broken pathetic and frankly easy boss. the music is sad, reserved and telling of what youre supposed to feel and it works. i love dark souls 1.

Yeah, I think the interactive element on top of the music and visuals gives games immense potential as art. It's just a matter of how to make that interactive element not something frivolous, because if it's frivolous it won't do anything to draw you in, just look at walking simulators.

yea thats why i think some games fall flat.
i think of metal gear solid 2 everytime i think of a game that tried really hard and kind of fell flat. i loved metal gear solid 2 but alot of people hate it and for completely valid reasons. same kind of reasons i THINK (never played it) people hate death stranding.

Outer Wilds is one of the closest game to art I have ever played

Attached: prisoner.jpg (2048x1463, 281.01K)

i have no idea what outer wilds is i just know the name. what is it, really?