What are some good JRPGs that would convince someone to get into the genre?

What are some good JRPGs that would convince someone to get into the genre?

Attached: Final_Fantasy_VII_Box_Art.jpg (313x310, 41.59K)

Attached: SaGa.jpg (1523x2149, 803.12K)

p2 hitler edition
so2
ff4/6/7/8
seiken densetu 2
lunar
phantasy star iv

Chronotrigger is only good JRPG
FF8 was the best FF because it was a card game not a JRPG

Certainly not any FF game.

Chrono Trigger
Suikoden II
Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest VIII
Final Fantasy V

But it really depends on what they want from an RPG. Some people prefer story, others prefer exploration. I tried to pick ones that balance both and are beginner friendly. And I know people who played those first.

Attached: b8aee961b9e4f88c7b8094831cf6c40b.jpg (1200x815, 146.84K)

You literally cannot name a single flaw in FF7.

We can name many. You'll just plug your ears and say they aren't flaws.

Since JRPGs are basically anime in video game form, probably ask if they like anime. And if they do, ask which ones they like. Then find a JRPG that has similar themes and setting.

If they don't watch anime, then I'd suggest Chrono or Suikoden as a starting point. Since they're ongoing stories and do the best at portraying anime tropes.

Attached: 1434473097967.jpg (1000x750, 452.03K)

I played a lot of the DQ games this year and I want to play more turn-based RPGs

hasnt aged well and looks like shit

The translation of the original PS1 game and the censorship of the remake, just for starters.

I can’t get into ff7 because of how many missables there are. The game was also built to sell guides and, because of my raging autism, I have a compulsive need to scour hidden items which reduces enjoyment for me.

redpill me on it

I don't know what the abbreviations are for those first two.

Ff9 is what gor me into it. Its the best one maybe

nu-rpg fags hate this game but the combat is kino and the effects are really pretty

Attached: Octopath-Traveler.jpg (1280x720, 314.08K)

FF7 has plenty of flaws from its translation to some sketchy worldbuilding to straight up broken game mechanics. Hello magic defense on armor. FF7 is greater than the sum of its parts but please for the love of God don't herald it as a prefect game

what does it really do differently besides graphics, I haven't heard much about it

> watching two friends release nearly a decade of pent-up romantic desire within a single night

Why in God's name would you do this?

Attached: But why.jpg (1374x1005, 306.16K)

The presentation is amazing. The combat is easy to understand but it hooks you right on. Weird to explain you how if you havent played a jrpg before.
Also is one of the last few jrpgs where the music still has SOVL

Chrono Trigger if you want something that balances simple fast paced combat with enough quirks to make it complex enough not to lose interest and is also a fairly short adventure with not a lot of grinding or story padding.

Persona 4 and 5 are another good entry point thats main draw is the mix of typical JRPG dungeon crawler with life sim, although they are a bit more grindy.

Paper Mario has a more actiony turn based combat that uses quick time events to make it more interesting and keeps you from mashing attack, it also has a bit of puzzle platforming in the overworld.

Dragon Quest VIII and XI are both pretty basic both in combat and story but there is a certain charm to the worlds despite being rather cliche, can be a bit grindy though.

A few more quick suggestions
Golden Sun and Lufia for there puzzles inbetween combat
Parasite Eve and Vagrant Story both have an interesting real time with pause combat, PE mixes with survival horror while VS is more a straight dungeon crawler.
Earthbound has a very basic combat but makes up for it with charm and humor.

technically*, it's a complete mess on pretty much every possible level, owing to the fact that nobody responsible for mechanical design or code implementation knew what the fuck they were doing. even if the gameplay is to remain unaltered, the modern-day rereleases desperately need a codebase which is freed from the technical debt of a win98 release.

*meant in the literal sense of pertaining to technical elements, not as a figurative word

Materia while an interesting system requires far too much grinding and it also keeps much of the more interesting materia for too late in the game, especially the support materia, so you spend much of the game with not much difference in setups.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Character roles basically can't exist until after Junon at best. That's a long time for every character to be the same and even after that point there isn't that much difference. There are a lot of options and you can break the game if you know what you're doing. But by the time you get to that point the game is about half over

I've recommended FFVII to like 3 people (2 of them disliked every JRPG game they played) and all three became absolutely obsessed with the game. It's just 3 people, but FFVII is the real deal, dude.

To be fair Final Fantasy 7 has a very strong opening. From the second you start the game you're on a daring terrorist attack to blow up a reactor that is endangering the planet somehow. As far as premises go it's a damn good one and it's executed very well because you feel like you did something rather than do busy work before the game starts.

Materia ends up making every character feel the same. Every character can be the magician or tank.