How can the MMO genre be fixed? If you had full control and a big budget, what would the next major MMO do differently?

How can the MMO genre be fixed? If you had full control and a big budget, what would the next major MMO do differently?

Attached: mmo.jpg (1920x1080, 339.76K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NrEtO_N20OA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

MMOs right now are just single player stories with a co-op component. We need to go back to simulating virtual worlds with priority placed on player freedom, but it would lose the casual audience because they wouldn't be able to stand not being the hero who is guaranteed to see all the content in the game.

high budget chimeralands

It is a fun sandbox mmo where you can build houses everywhere and craft shit, but the problem is that it is janky as fuck
youtube.com/watch?v=NrEtO_N20OA

Remove most of the rpg part, make it a real fucking game where you do something besides left click and watch cooldowns.

More animal women and marriage.

It took me 16 years to realize that flaming ball is coming from a gnome mage in the back, not the dwarf's gun.

>pay for content
>not be able to see content
>good thing
retard

Kill WoW and FFXIV while getting rid of players who want an MMO that holds their hand like .

How is wanting to experience the content you fucking paid for holding hands? You people are insufferable.

Honestly?

Allow people to host their own servers instead of using data centers.

MMOs as we know them are a deeply flawed genre by design, as they rely on the developer to host servers to contain everyone, and even run code on the back end so certain events can even happen in-game. Meaning if it the servers shut down, they're done. On top of that the maintenance costs for servers necessitates a subscription based payment service on top of any additional expenses such as DLC expansions and microtransactions the devs might want to add in the future.

By allowing players to make and host their own servers they would allow an effectively infinite lifespan for their games. It's not the early 2000's anymore where you can have the excuse of people not being able to run 24-man raids without their systems exploding. It'll also keep players from souring at the idea of your MMO since it won't feel like they wasted thousands of hours (and possibly thousands in cash) when the servers go down, because, y'know, they won't.

git gud

Get good at the game you paid for nigger

What content? Rehashed gay monster of the expansion stories where you defeat fascist boogeymen who try to destroy the world for the 999th time?

Nobody is impressed that you're "gud" at video games, Aiden. Video games are the only medium on Earth that expects paying customers to pass some kind of entrance exam to access what they already paid for. I'm not saying eliminating death or something, but this idea of making a blind choice that locks you out of content down the road that you didn't even know about is asinine and anti-consumer.

A sequel to anarchy online that keeps all the mechanics and game world the exact same but just improves control scheme, ui, and graphics.

I forgot that FFXIV somehow casualized the WoW formula more and made people think they need to experience all content without trying. You ARR WoWfags ruined what could have been a great reboot. Gatekeeping faggots who don't want to get good should always be a constant in any MMO.
>anti-consumer
Get good and you'll see the content faggot. The only thing denying you access is yourself.

You mean add back the rpg part. mmos havent been rpgs for nearly two decades

>its a "boomer MMOfags are unable to cope with the fact that the old style of MMOs will never work in todays zoomer controlled market" thread

>buy a movie
>can't see the third act unless you pass an exam
>buy a meal, but be forced to answer a seemingly random question first
>your answer determines whether or not you get to finish - surprise!
fucking stupid

git gud

Fucking scrub

>comparisons that dont make sense
Git gud fag. Keep reaching.

Your logic is flawed. Video games are an interactive medium. As much as the AAA industry wants to turn them into "Choose your own adventure" style movies with graphics that would melt a toaster, you still need to actually TRY to play the game to see it's content.

I'D DO A MIDSCOPE MMO WHERE IT'S BALLS TO THE WALL HARD. NO MINIMAP. NO QUEST MARKERS. EXP LOST ON DEATH. ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO SOLO. LESS FOCUS ON PREMADE STORYLINES. TONS OF VENUES FOR SOCIAL INTERACTION (INCLUDING ERP), BASICALLY FFXI-2.

You can stop multi responding to pretend anyone agrees with you any time now. People buy content, they get content, that works in every medium but gaming, and even in gaming it works in every genre except for some sliver of arrpeegees where autistic shitbags think paying for something and not getting it is cool. Fuck off.

You are correct that people should be able to get what they pay for. If someone is paying $15 per month, then they should get something out of that. I am not going to pretend to be an economist, or a developer, or anything like that for this next statement. World of Warcraft earned Activision-Blizzard over $2 billion in three months alone, from subscriptions and microtransactions.

If a developer is making roughly $8 billion annually, then there needs to be something put into the game to reflect that. The model that old Blizzard wanted was that more money coming in meant more product going out; that's no longer the case. Players are paying for a product that is, de facto, "unfinished". You will -not- see content that you paid for under a current WoW model.

Then, consider games where you pay only one fee up front, and then microtransactions if you're a whale. That's considerably less money going in, which means less product coming out. This is the current model for WoW's competitors. This means that development can go one of two ways:

A) Players pay money, get to end-game, there's not enough end-game content because it can't be made fast enough because developers can't produce it due to being so few in number, and players leave. You've seen the content, but you quit after one month and wait for the next patch;
B) Players pay money, the developers force cooperation by implementing difficulty into the overworld, and form organic partnerships rather than following a Twitch streamer around because the game is no longer totally single-player, which leads to lasting friendships. End-game content remains a far-off objective because it's difficult to reach it, giving developers breathing room to produce the next piece of end-game.

A certainly is more purchaser-friendly, but does not help with keeping a game alive. B is more difficult to actually make happen, but to those of us who played WoW as our first MMO back in 2004-2008, that means something.

>i want this genre that isnt meant for me to cater to my desire for instant gratification
Spoken like a XIV diaperfag.

>You will -not- see content that you paid for under a current WoW model.
The only thing that matters. I don't pay for food and then not get to eat it.

Go on, say some more stupid shit.

Gw2-esque horizontal progression in a VR MMO.

Not even. At least in XIV you actually have to TRY. That fag sounds like a Life is Strange fan where you can rewind to the branching paths to see more millenials angst.

when you die you die in real life

no datamining

>Pay for a buffet
>Don't eat a few things at the buffet
>Hurr i want a refund I didn't get to experience everything I paid for
Fuck off retard

>Players are paying for a product that is, de facto, "unfinished". You will -not- see content that you paid for under a current WoW model.

Attached: gay black jew.jpg (600x753, 53.53K)

>this idea of making a blind choice that locks you out of content down the road that you didn't even know about is asinine and anti-consumer
I dunno where you got the idea of people 'making blind choices' from, or how that relates to anything previously stated.

You're not buying a movie ticket, you're buying a gym membership and wondering why you can't be a weightlifter in the olympics.

Your analogy is poor (and food-related). If you pay for a buffet, and the buffet doesn't actually have its spread out but does have some amazing spring rolls, you should be given a refund because you're not buying a buffet, you're buying spring rolls.

>that works in every medium but gaming
It's amazing how retarded you are when you spelled out the answer as to why Video Games expect you to earn your keep. Video Games are one of the most unique mediums for that reason alone. Either git gud or fuck off and watch a movie.
>sliver of arrpeegees
Super Bosses, secret endings, items and quests that arent ever actively tracked and the like are common among RPGs faggot. Other games also force you play the fucking game to see shit. If you're so concerned about having to play then maybe go watch a Movie. MMOs need to filter fuckers like you out of the genre as its clear that catering to retards who don't actually like games is what killed it. You have been given the tools to reach any and all content in a Video Game once you pay for it. Don't want to use said tools to reach certain content cause its too hard or you dont think its worth it? Tough shit, either git gud or realize you bought something not meant for you.

Reminder

Attached: 1659645183765264.jpg (1200x1204, 147.67K)

Jesus Christ the retards here that want everything handed to them. Why are you even playing video games? Just watch a movie or something.

been thinking about this recently:
dungeons/raids/exploration content has traps that reshuffle every so often
they rarely give direct damage, and a few can be walked around/through, but you have to go through and suffer a debuff
if there's a trapmaster/rogue on your team they can save the trap for an encounter; if it's a large party kind of thing, there won't be many traps but one disarmed trap gets replicated across every rogue
chef class (not a job or profession) that specializes in cooking that fills a hunger bar and maybe non-health buffs, so it wouldn't be a trinity class
i'm praying that a competent dev steals these ideas, even better if a game already does this

it can't be fixed until every wow playing subhuman dies out. the fact that anyone thinks wow is good or was ever good is the problem and now these people think they know what makes a good mmo. wow was the fortnite of its time and responsible for commodifying nerd culture. really wow is responsible for gayming becoming mainstream and all the normalfag garbage that brought with it. runescape is also somewhat at fault too since it was always for poor kids

>XIV
>try
Thats why Steps of Faith was nerfed after more than half the community couldnt access HW or why they introduced normal raids cause Coils was considered too hard for Story content. Nah XIV is a diaperfag game where people rather spend $1000+ monthly on Fantasia, Billboards and ERP than play the game.

>and food-related
why are you half wit zoom zooms so autistic about this now? you're too stupid to follow analogy anyways, is it somehow worse when there's a hamburger in it?

i dont get how having to play with other people in an mmo and not being willing to do that equals not getting to see the content you paid for, its a point thats not usually actually addressed and the arguments take place like it makes sense immediately which it doesn't

Super Mario MMO. Raid bosses are turtys

Not an argument, moon cricket.

Fuck MMOs.

I just want a fantasy Deep Rock Galactic. 99% of the fun from an MMO is doing dungeons/content with randoms taking in your customised build/aesthetics.

Always online servers are a complete fucking meme, waste of resources and time. They offer literally nothing special at all.
>muh living breathing world!
WoWs world is static, XIV is not an MMO, New World is a WoW clone. Only EvE, Everquest and Albion actually benefit from persistent servers and all that showed us is inevitably all persistence reaches guild/alliance stagnation.

I wanna crush mad turts in sup Mario's MMO

Content should always have a solo version and group version. People who want to group, can, people who don't want to deal with dumbasses and just want to vibe for a bit, can. There's no justification for forcing people to play a game you're way.

Hayden I know you're behind this thread.

>solo version
no kill yourself

>think they know what makes a good mmo
which is?

People want to feed their ego and feel success. They don’t realise the enjoyment is the journey to the goal, not the goal itself.
It’s the same people who pay to have games completed for them so they don’t have to play the game they paid for.

WoW was lightning in a bottle because Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr had yet to exist for the public until after it had come out. WoW was socialization for hundreds of thousands of losers. Current MMOs actively discourage socialization because of their punitive Terms of Agreement.

perchance

If people want to group, they can. If people don't want to group, why force them to group? You're thinking like a child.

>solo version
So an RPG? But this is an MMORPG. The MMO stands for massively multiplayer online

Go play any other offline rpg if you want single player content. MMOs are meant for multiplayer

>They don’t realise the enjoyment is the journey to the goal, not the goal itself.
This statement alone divides the WoW community to this day, even though it really is about the journey and not the destination.

mmo genre is dead bub. give it up. it was only interesting 10 years ago because it was new and novel for the vast majority of people. the normal-ish folks were the ones that socialized and made things interesting. now all that's left are autists running away from real life who take it all too seriously. catering to these autists and exploiting their weakness is the only way to make money with this genre currently.

Simple. Make a modern, as in technology, remake of Ragnarok Online or Guild Wars 1.

>There's no justification for forcing people to play a game you're way.
Then why are you buying a game whose genre is based on playing with other people retard. You have single player games if you want solo shit. Why do faggots always come into genres and try and change it into shit that isn't even close to the genre's philosophy. It's like Magicfags complaining that YGO isn't like Magic but in MMO form.

Attached: 1658883309478.jpg (1000x1000, 126.28K)

make them all mechanically simple yet bery grindy like OSRS, dungeons and raids become very low priority
MMOs die once you hit max level because the grind is the game, running the same raids every day for aesthetic loot is fucking boring

Attached: 1656296210820.gif (112x112, 59.33K)

I wouldnt mind a fantasy DRG is they also added like 30x the content. You play an hour of DRG you've seen the whole game. Maybe I've been infected by the zooner virus but basic gameplay and cosmetics on a stick arent enough for me anymore.

All content having a solo option and a game being massive and multiplayer aren't mutually exclusive.