Came out a gear ago

>Came out a gear ago
>Any Forums never talks about it

What went so fucking wrong?
Why do people still talk about AoEII but not AoEIIII?

Attached: file.png (1920x1080, 3.46M)

Other urls found in this thread:

play0ad.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Thats because its basically age of empires 2 with even less mechanics and more pretty graphics.

No ranking at launch until months after the entire player base quit. Not different enough from II to justify migrating. No fast mode.

because it's a pile of crap, extremely oversimplified to appeal to stupid ADHD zoomers who can't be bothered to learn how to play a complex game
on top of that they went the asymmetrical starcraft style route, that's not the game AOE fans want, starcraft is good at doing the extremely difficult job of balancing an asymmetrical rts, but they failed hard at it

The only thing is really has going for it is that the civs are all pretty distinct. The balance was fucked and the game was full of bugs that the devs took too long to fix. There's not really any reason to play it over 2 or 3.

>more pretty graphics
lol, it wishes, it's all very low polycount

Didnt see much of a reason to even try it when aoeIIde exists

The funniest thing is AoE II isn't even that hard to figure out, I was able to do it when I was 11 and I'm literally mentally retarded.

the game really needed to make a good first impression but instead we got mach 5 mobile mongol TCs, infinite gold glitches that took weeks to fix, infinite range spearmen, french hulks auto winning water maps, and springald spam

against the AI of course, trying to get high ranking without effort is another thing...

I wouldn't dare go up against the super autists who've been playing the game for 20+ years straight.

Because II is still the best. They failed spectacularly to surpass a 20 year old game.

It's pretty good, but also expensive and Relic pretty much abandoned it already for CoH3, which, is gonna suck invariably and inevitably.

Any Forums is a complete and utter shitters at RTS and you should NOT ask for anything about any RTS in this board.

That being said, IV was fun, but 2 autists won't drop their sMelee equivalent and new people think it's AoE2 entirely. In reality, it got QoL that are all welcome to the AoE2 gameplay, faster gameplay and not so mirrored civs. Still Relic fucked it up at launch again, and no actual content announced. Campaign is boring. MP 4v4 is awesome, but
>RTS are dead!
>They're too hard!
>The Shitter Police will come for me! I can't!

So MP was gonna be deader if it was different than AoE2 anyways.

Attached: 1503480785350.jpg (252x240, 9.96K)

>faster gameplay and not so mirrored civs.
This doomed it. Devs didn't learn any lessons from II. They thought separating themselves from AoE2 would allow them to make a better game, despite 2 being the gateway to good gameplay.

Attached: 14567876543.jpg (1200x800, 190.42K)

the elo system is pretty good, if you can beat hard AI you will probably get at least 600 elo, if you beat the hardest AI around 1000 and over
it's way cooler then playing against AI and their unorganized armies composed of all units, if you get some simples build orders and shortcuts memorized and the basic paper-rock-scissors adaptability you can climb up to at least 1200 with reasonably ease

Why is II still so popular but 3 barely gets talked about? I thought it was really fun at the time

Attached: age-of-empires-iii-4e263045c9e78.jpg (1280x1812, 632.1K)

2 has better gameplay and natural longevity.

>IIII
you nigger

On the contrary, it's still slow enough to do formations and pincer attacks and such, but not so sluggish as 2 is, or fast to become spastic like SC2.

Personally, I really liked it. AoE2 is good as a gold standard, but it can be better.

>AoE2 is good as a gold standard, but it can be better.
Yeah. This just wasn't the way to do it, as evidenced by the results.

train tracks don't allow me to close all the gates really nice around my city, so I killed it

Attached: imagine-todd-todd-howard30.png (400x376, 287.91K)

It going back to medieval times instead of pushing the timeline forward killed any chance of four lasting long term, especially since the remaster of 2 was a massive success

I'm curious to give IV a try given that it may automate more of the bullshit that older titles may have had "APM autism" style (ie if you have to micromanage every unit or group, their formation, targeting the right enemies etc.) . I've generally liked the Definitive Editions of AoEII and AoEIII with their new civs and single player campaign content.

Oh if someone wants an old school game like AoE, check out 0 A.D. - play0ad.com/ - its a well developed FOSS alternative in its type and though it has taken a long time, its pretty neat and each civ in the game is well balanced and has a lot of content. Won't stack up in terms of content especially single player campaigns to the for profit titles but its well worth it as a project

still waiting to be able to choose my colour.