When did you realize Japanese has to be localized to make sense?

When did you realize Japanese has to be localized to make sense?

Attached: 1632170668242.png (1337x749, 1.82M)

30 years ago

What's wrong with it? Out of context it sounds like they'll need to go in the water, they're checking who can swim, and then this Alisaie does a double take when she realizes what a problem Alphinaud's inability to swim really is.

Makes sense to me, but I'm glad you asked. OP sucks nigger cocks, but I am not retarded like him and can understand simple statements.

That's right; OP sucks nigger cocks!

There's a difference between localizing culture things that make no sense/jokes and rewriting the entire script for your fanfiction

What the fuck does bouyant mean?

What are you even implying with this image you autist? Of course literally translating things would be a mess, but you don't have to go completely off script for things to make sense for a western audience.
I agree with this too, but localizing cultural things should be done in consideration of your target audience. If you change shit around in a setting that takes place in Japan and in a game that is only going to be bought by weeaboos then that's retarded.

y do games and animooz use this terrible word "localization"?
It is always translation, and the usage of a stupid word to cover this up is indicative of the problem with those involved.
A good translation is difficult, and requires skill in both languages at a deep level. Generally, this means ability to read high level literature in both languages (read means also to understand, understandably I must define this since...)
All this 2 say, in a digression: Even though the source material is much simpler -- still the translators require far moar skill than the ones who do the job employ. Thus -- lacking skill -- they should refrain from making LEAPS. And should stay in a generally "literal" way.

Can someone translate this post?

ty for the (You) ^_^

It's a joke because that scene is a bit altered in the actual translation, with Alisaie's lines being shortened and made a bit snarkier.

>What's wrong with it?
nothing. OP is just super retardo.

Means shit floats, cap'n. If it ain't buoyant, she'll be at the bottom of the briny deep. Also if it can rise up into the air, like a balloon.

A literal translation from any language to english (and vice versa) wouldn't make any sense.
Spend 5 minutes learning literally foreign language and you'll realise this.

Having said that, localization in the games industry is just code for "we can re-write it however we want and change literally everything" which is not how it's supposed to be done.

buoyant is a pun on boy

yes, we get it, literal translations can sometimes sound stilted and awkward. This does not give you permission to completely rewrite the games, I don't care if you had dreams of being the writer of your own story, translate it faithfully or quit.

I think this bait was too good to actually start an XIV thread

Open a book, nigger.

That's fine, to be honest. It's about as coherent as your average "localisation".
>what... that guy... even at a time like this... so this is the power of...
Don't come at me acting like native sounding English has ever been the standard.

>A literal translation from any language to english (and vice versa) wouldn't make any sense.
why are we so arrogant that we feel the need to butcher another culture's creation in order to create a frankenstein abomination that can be parsed by our own culture
if it does not make sense, THAT IS OKAY. japan does not need to pander to your woke western bullshit

This is a pretty good breakdown. No one gives a shit if it has the same meaning, people don't like it when translators take "artistic liberties"

What happened 30 years ago?

What doesn't make sense about that?
It makes perfect sense. There's no rant about tranny pronouns or marxism. Then it wouldn't make sense.

I think you might be right. If it had the regular pasta it probably would have gone right.

you will never be japanese

>I can swim, but will you be okay, Alisaie?
>good thing you asked. I can swim, but Alphinaud can't.
>Oh, that's right. Alphinaud can't swim!
That's how I'd do it. What did they do?

>No mention of bouyancy
You failed

>if it does not make sense, THAT IS OKAY.
The ultimate conclusion of this notion you are bringing up is not to commit every project to literal translation. It would be to never translate whatsoever

Canada won the World Series.

O'
CANADA