How this genre literally stagnated...

How this genre literally stagnated? There is barely anything coming and most IPs are legacy ones or literal pokemon clones.

Attached: Mon.png (313x281, 26.04K)

everything after gen 1 is a mistake

It has always been a shitty series that churns out year after year for dumb goys to buy up like brainless fanatics. That's why the games don't improve or why they're missing features from past games, if they keep building up they'll eventually run out of shit to publish without spending more than eight months on something.

That includes you, zoomer

pokemon is only popular because its simple. every attempted 'pokemon killer' has been way more obfuscated in its systems like however the fuck yugioh evolutions work
basically the audience is too braindead to want anything else

but 3 was the best one

Monster catching games are harder to make than they look. You have to make hundreds of appealing monsters people would want to raise, other genres can get away with shitty looking monsters, not this genre. Then you have to do regular game development stuff. Even Dragon Quest Monsters cuts corners, reusing the exact same music every game with some remixes. You have to figure out how to differentiate yourself from Pokemon too, a lot of indies try to outdo Pokemon but end up just being Pokemon, and at that point why even play your game?

The genre is literally just pokemon. Nobody else tries

People don't want "monster catching games" just like they don't want "platform fighters" they want pokemon and smash bros

It's weird that people always forget that megaten is actually a Mon franchise and never take any sort of inspiration from it.

Attached: 1656820957024.png (340x230, 74.34K)

The people who like them just have low standards for some reason. Myself included.

Usually they just steal negotiation from SMT and nothing else.

time for an open world dark souls pokemmo

Attached: 734536234.jpg (738x798, 120.18K)

>Monster catching games are harder to make than they look
Can confirm. I tried making a monclone. /agdg/ even liked my monsters.

gameplay was just "pokemon but somehow worse" and I abandoned the project

Have you considered taking inspiration from something else? I feel like something like Disgaea's combat would work great for monster catching games. Pokemon Conquest is similar but all the Pokemon only have one move.

Demon negotiation is shit outside of franchise context, there is a reason of why spin offs ditch for something else.

It stagnated because its audience doesn't want to change the status quo. They only play Pokémon and like pokémon just the way it is so nothing improves.

>Disgaea's combat would work great for monster catching games
Isn't that what Digimon Survive did?

Making a monster collector game takes a lot of resources for the revenue it could generate and Pokemon has a very loyal fanbase. The other alternative is to make a Persona ripoff but that fanbase is even more autistic.

Yeah. I think that style is the best way to ever be similar the battles in the pokemon anime.

The devs are knuckleheads, they pump games out too quickly to come up with any serious developments, and most importantly they can get away with it.