What is a "gameplay loop"?

what is a "gameplay loop"?

Attached: 1654611477494.png (1749x1143, 942.95K)

My doctor looks like the dude in your picture but he is partial jew.

something something we need to repeat the same 3 levels 30 times so the game is 50 hours long
see: assassins creed

It's just a pseuds way of refering to the rules of a game

Kill, loot, return

This meme term popped up a few years ago and people have been crazy about it since.

A MISERABLE PILE OF SEQUENCES

I'm going to sucker punch Matt Walsh

fuck nazis and fuck transphobes

Why do some people take such issue with the idea of gameplay loops and the idea that "gameplay loop" is not synonymous with simply "gameplay"?

>wake up
>eat
>4chin
>vidya
>jerk off
>4chin
>sleep
>repeat

bad game design. once you've done the loop, it's the same the next time, and the time after that. if your entire game design boils down to 3 simple steps, then you've done a bad design.

this is why i don't play indie games. they have 1 decent idea and try to milk out a 3-6 hour game from it

just like "crunch"
back then people called that actually working

The things you do in a game that tend to repeat in a loot. In classic Zelda you have the gameplay loop of exploring a new area -> enter dungeon -> get new item -> clear dungeon -> use the new item to get access to new areas -> enter another dungeon

1. You do something that will progress you forward.
2. This, in turn, grants you something tangible be it EXP, equipment, collectibles, and so on.
3. Getting that reward allows you to do things you could do before.
4. Return to 1.

Insomniac's Spider-man's gameplay loop is swinging somewhere, getting a collectible/fighting mooks, obtaining EXP to unlock new skills or suit powers, and going out to swing again.
A Link to the Past's gameplay loop is exploring to find an item that will let you explore more to get to a dungeon that grants you an item to unlock a shortcut in the overworld to repeat exploring.
Pokemon's gameplay loop is exploring to capture Pokemon then fighting with those Pokemon to let you fight gyms to let you unlock new areas and Pokemon so you can continue to keep exploring and capturing Pokemon.

Etc, etc.

I fully agree.

Attached: 1659707689843.jpg (175x175, 25.74K)

based

Attached: starfox gameplay loop.gif (480x270, 2.61M)

for me? it's
>wake up
>browse
>eat
>work on a personal project
>jerk off
>browse
>jerk off
>browse
>work on a personal project
>try to sleep
>jerk off
>watch youtube vids about personal project
>eat
>browse
>sleep while watching youtube

Matt Walsh is a dogcunt

Attached: cunt.jpg (672x372, 42.86K)

>once you've done the loop, it's the same the next time

fucking smoothbrain over here

gameplay -> mechanics
gameplay loop -> same mechanics but in the long run
theose 2 are not always the same

>open up game
>craft some shit
>loot and kill
>go back to base
>repeat for 3 hours until you can kill a boss

it's retarded and lazy design. i try and play games with a so called 'gameplay loop' but i get bored instantly. the only variation is a slight skill ladder and maybe different objectives / tools. there is no player agency or creativity

At minimum I'd say it describes something you do often and repeatedly in a game.

>wake up
>take a shit
>eat
>leave bed
>get on Any Forums
>vigorously shake jar of preworkout powder
>breathe the fumes
>spank it at least three times
>spend 6 hours posting the same threads I made yesterday, last week, and last month
>close the threads immediately after posting them
>hop in vrchat
>get wasted
>fuck the first person on my friends list
>pass out