What made mobile gaming inevitably shit?

>hardware
gaming phones now have the power to emulate AAA console/PC games
>other companies spending minimal effort
ports of good games on phone / the once in a blue moon good mobile game also get remote success
>chink pirates
just made your game online or something
there's no reason for mobile games to be stereotypically shit, yet here we are, discussing what made them complete garbage......

Attached: F49R5U9C_400x400.png (400x400, 8.67K)

>hardware
Most phones don't have physical buttons that work well for non-mobile general games.
>software
You can't emulate games on iOS. So porting shit over would be extremely niche.

If you go the non-emulation route you need to rewrite a shit ton in your game since you're working for a different architecture as well, ARM isntead of X86.

Mobile vidya peaked with Flight Control
fite me

Very few actual games work well with touch controls, something that works perfectly like kotor is sadly an exception.
they should port heroes 3 to mobile now that I think about it, it'd work so well.

First of all, touchscreen is complete shit for anything not turnbased.
Second, most people only play on their phones when waiting in queue or on the toilet.
Third, the market is incredibly saturated with freemium garbage that pays for advertising and it's likely all you're gonna see, good luck finding one good niche game in this sea of shit.
And last but not least, would you, as a game developer, try to build some big ambitious project on mobile considering factors above when there are better platforms that offer much more in pretty much every way?

Attached: chen.jpg (434x394, 28.59K)

Even before consideration is put into making a mobile game, the microtransactions/profit part come first. This is why there will never be a good mobile game.

Unironically Pokemon GO is actually the best mobile game made, because it's something to do anywhere you are in the world, i.e. walking somewhere, or touring a city etc its kinda comfy having something on the side.

Universally poor controls and emphasis on making money through predatory MTX schemes over making a fun game

facebook

Attached: file.png (720x405, 495.68K)

>First of all, touchscreen is complete shit for anything not turnbased.
Rhythm Heaven on DS would like to have a word with you.
Same goes for Under The Knife: Trauma Center
and tons of other touch only games on DS that exclusively used the touch screen. In fact you can play those two games on android via an emulator and see for yourself if mobile gaming can be as restricted as you pretend it is.

First, controls. A touchscreen is an extremely poor input device for gaming because it gives you no tactile feedback and you're constantly obscuring the screen while playing the game.
Second, battery life. A mobile phone is your lifeline in the modern world and demanding games drain the battery in an hour or two.
Third, predatory game design. Instead of proper games being sold at a fixed price, phone gaming companies focus on "free" games with pay2win microtransactions. Nobody sane actually plays that shit.

Normalfags. They don't give a shit about quality.

what do they care anyways

When the iphone app store launched there was a mad rush to get an "app" on the platform. It turned out that people were so desperate to give you money being first was more important than being better. And being cheap was a good way to encourage sales. By the time decent developers had managed to make a halfway decent game, the app store had a reputation for

>tfw you will never go driving around with a car full of nerds taking over the suburbs in ingress ever again

Lack of physical buttons, which ruins emulation and console ports like FFT or Square's other shit. Price for said ports of console shit ($20 a pop for Square's shit is insane, especially with how shit it controls).

Gacha bullshit for most non-paid-for shit.

The only good mobile game is Rollercoaster Tycoon and that has issues with controls due to screen-size and touch-screen calibrations for fingers.

Companies insist on making mobile games short and simple despite the fact that people spend 10 hours a day in their phone

>muh buttons
AAA games are so dumbed down they could be played with one-two buttons

The fact that it is gaming on mobile phones is what makes it irredeemably shit, nothing else required.

Java era was fantastic

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 66.51K)

It's been shit from the start but that doesn't matter because it still makes the most money because everyone has a mobile phone and most people are willing to play a shitty game to kill time

Want to know how I know you never actually tried playing any of the square games on mobile?
JRPGs are literally the perfect genre to play on a mobile device, as they very rarely require precise inputs or timings.

Attached: ultrashills.jpg (1080x2160, 579.21K)

Ok, retard. Prove it by porting a console game over and having it control well.

>what made mobile gaming inevitably shit?
touchscreen
that's it

got a decent phone, got pumped up to download some emulators on it, but it just doesn't feel right playing console games on it. Even turn based games feel clunky as fuck to control. Getting a $5 phone holder for my ds4 fixed this issue but you just know that 99.99% of the people won't bother with something like this

>Rhythm Heaven on DS would like to have a word with you.
using stylus on big hitboxes that you are meant to focus on with your eyes is completely different from using your giant thumbs trying to hit small feedback-less buttons in the corner of your eyes while focusing on the middle of the screen

>Want to know how I know you never actually tried playing any of the square games on mobile?
By me owning FFT which controls like shit with touch controls because Square couldn't fix the calibration issues for it?

PPSSPP has better fucking touch controls for the PSP port of it than the goddamn Android version, it's insane.

Massive shitty userbase

>he's too stupid to use gestures and tried to manually click on each menu option
Absolute fool.

microtransactions make more money than traditional games
blame gamers for spending money on that shit or governments for not banning it

>Gestures
>While talking about how the calibration fails
user... we're not talking the touch control SCHEME, here. We're talking the actual touch CONTROL. It's utter shit.

There is NUMEROUS reviews that state the touch controls are utter shit because the calibration for the menus suck shit. You can literally be BANG on the "button" and the game won't register it. Due to being a console game first, but mostly because Square couldn't fix the goddamn touch controls they implemented.

I'm not the only one that complains about this.

Beyond that, the "gestures" are utter shit for a console port.
>You're just a brainlet an--
If you literally are defending needing to use swipes instead of taps for moving around the menus, you're the one that is retarded like Square.

Accessibility -> easily exploitable normalfags.
That's it.
On a brighter note - anyone got recommendations for good mobile games? I'm playing Soul Knight right now, it's most certainly predatory, but I've gotten a lot of content out of the free parts, and the game has actual honest to god gameplay in it.

>I tried to run this game on a 15 year old phone and it didnt work! Square sucks!
Game worked fine for me. Maybe stop using circa 2006 chinkware flipphones?

most AAA games are walking simulators where you just press a button to jump or attack