Somehow a failing, broke studio made the best RPG of all time

Somehow a failing, broke studio made the best RPG of all time

I don't even like vampire shit that much but goddamn, how did they make a game so good?

Attached: vtmb.jpg (188x267, 11.47K)

You think that's crazy? Gothic I was made as a tech demo.

Because Activision gave them a lot of money to make it. They only went broke after they finished the job.

Fallout: New Vegas didn’t have vampires in it though the rest applies. VTMBs a close second and would’ve been first without the terrible FPS ending missions

It's not even close to the best RPG
And it shows

you will never believe it but guess what? Same people who made VTMB made New Vegas.

>And it shows
Lol fuck you

3 smart white guys

>Fallout: New Vegas
Fair shout, but for me it will always be VTMB. It is definitely one of those two for best of all time though.

loser

I actually didn't know that, cool

>combat suxx
No, it's actually fine. It's nothing special but it is fine, especially if you disregard melee and embrace powers + ranged. Then it stops being a button masher.
Speccing hard into stealth is the best anyway, though it does come back to bite you with 2 or 3 boss fights.

Back then people used passion to develop their games because the industry wasn't corporatized mainstrain yet, which allowed people to take risks and add things to a game just because they wanted to.

Goddamn I miss the 00s bros

Goth aesthetic and unashamed boobage coomerism in vidya

Attached: jean.jpg (222x227, 7.85K)

The fact they made this on an alpha version of the Source engine without proper documentation is pretty fucking insane (overlooking the bugs)

>which allowed people to take risks and add things to a game just because they wanted to
Yes.

Attached: 1659349660961517.png (1542x1348, 972.13K)

>Hyper sexualization wasn't just allowed but fully endorsed, even expected (since the "sex sells" mantra was in full effect)
>Social media barely existed outside of nerd forums and Neopets
>Goth and Emo media in full swing
>Attitude era in WWE, unmatched to this day
>Animated movies were 10/10 kino still talked about to this day
>Open markets meaning you had a hundred different companies trying to offer the same thing as opposed to today where 1 maybe 2 companies even bother to try
>Willful culling of dumb fucks by sending them to their graves in Iraq
>Flash games
>Tourist trap places were a LOT more quiet, like Japan
00s were kino. Barely remember the 10s outside of culture wars, Gamegate and Obama/Trump

The facial animations are still top tier, even so many years later. How did they do it?

Access to (again, an alpha version of) Source Film Maker or whatever variant they had at the time plus a heavy lean into cartoonish characters instead of realism means they could be more expressive.

Political commentary back then used to be candid, so regardless of what you believe in you still appreciate the satire. Look at Deus ex. Now this stuff is pushed by literal billionairs in high towers which completely diminishes them of all soul.

Realism was a mistake

They also had top tier VAs in literally every character. I struggle to think of a better cast game for VAs

We've come a long way since then. Damsel is pretty much the only politically cringe person but she is portrayed as cringe so it works.

The sequel will lionise her, it's gonna suck so bad

Old political commentary laughed with the player. Modern political commentary laughs at them.

Nothing about this game wow'd me. The art style, especially the characters, was really ugly, the combat wasn't satisfying other than the melee combat which was kind of fun, and the writing was boring and predictable. It did get a laugh from me though when I kept finding journals where the person was writing a play by play of their death as it was happening.