MOBA vs. RTS

The standard MOBA is surpassed by a quality RTS.

>MOBA Tactics.
Moving the character;
Attacking creeps;
Controlling waves;
Attacking another character;
Choosing items;
Warding;
Jungling;
Attacking the medium creature;
Attacking the big creature.

>RTS Tactics (Supreme Commander FA).
Starter build order (about 3 minutes);
Scouting;
Attacking early engineers;
Commander options (makes rushing possible and preventable; has upgrades);
Tradeoff time to upgrade to tech II and III (both metal extractor upgrade repays are approximately 4 minutes; producing units vs. upgrading a factory and producing units is calculatable);
Map size (travel time of land, sea, and air);
Factory requirements (air factories cost a lot of energy);
Microing;
Relevant technology and counters (radar; making a tactical missile defense when you get to tech II; shielding, especially because of bombers and the win condition usually being commander survival; artillery to counter point defense and shields);
Unit picks (utilizing your chosen faction's specifics such as health, mobility, and firing characteristics);
Air dropping units;
Experimentals.

Attached: UEF - T1 Engineer.png (262x232, 104.35K)

What if the game forced you to battle for resources? Like fighting over a gold or wood site so you aren't sitting at base and poking your enemy with killing engis.

>What if the game forced you to battle for resources?
That's what an RTS is.

>Like fighting over a gold or wood site so you aren't sitting at base and poking your enemy with killing engis.
"What?"

RTS died out because once people actually learned how to play them there wasn't all that much strategic choice due to dominant strategy and thus games were just decided by whose stalker micro results in better trades

>The standard MOBA is surpassed by a quality RTS
I mean yes? Is this even a discussion?

I don't play any of these genres but I always hated moba but loved the idea behind rts. I used to watch those starcraft tournaments. I will never ever watch lol and dota. I can't stand that garbage gameplay its just really irritates me that people somehow think these games are good. Nothing about them looks exciting in the slightest.

You aren't wrong, but anyone who is over 18 already determined this.

What a silly thread. What's next, pitching chess and checkers against each other? I mean I'm a chess guy myself but I enjoy eating at cracker barrel too.

>RTS died out because once people actually learned how to play them there wasn't all that much strategic choice due to dominant strategy
Are you suggesting players have 100%, mathematical understanding of optimals?

Attached: UEF - T1 Land Scout (Snoop).png (290x202, 103.63K)

>and thus games were just decided by whose stalker micro results in better trades
Fog of war has what players are doing as mysterious.

Then quality RTSs should be as popular as standard MOBAs.

Attached: UEF - T1 Light Assault Bot (Mech Marine).png (140x192, 50.21K)

I think that it's easy to be entertained, so watching a MOBA is OK, especially if you like the streamer; but tournament casts are exaggerated; MOBAs don't have anywhere near the castability of SupCom FA.

Attached: UEF - T1 Medium Tank (MA12 Striker).png (283x218, 102.61K)

I would personally love a really slow paced RTS that isnt about rushing/clickspeed/micro. Instead focus on city-building, population, strategic map control and shit like that. I know it would be really unpopular though.

Empire Earth

This. Competitive RTS boils down to
>How fast can I mash buttons
>Use one of three cookie cutter meta build orders specifically designed to beat all of my opponents strategies once I scout them
>Control group units for some shit gimmick strategy
>Gimmicks and cheese
It's horrifically boring to play

A big gaming demographic is 18-23 year olds, and I don't they they, or most others, have enough experience with a varied:deep RTS to want to optimize their time.

Attached: UEF - T1 Mobile Anti-Air Gun (Archer).png (306x273, 149.93K)

One of most played genres being surpassed by one of the least played genres is an important topic. They play similarly.

Have you played SupCom?

Attached: UEF - T1 Mobile Light Artillery (Lobo).png (375x285, 172.54K)

>What is 4X
Just play Civ multiplayer

Dota-likes are team games. You don't even have any teamwork-related items in the top points at all, but pro play is completely centered around it.