Why do old games look better?

Is it because they're more colorful?

Attached: ss_6a44cd7d9b8e32b70d60f4f8447475574c303233.1920x1080.jpg (1280x1024, 177.08K)

Modern games are too blurry if you don't have 4k 120

what game is this?

That looks like dogshit

Lack of fidelity means higher visual clarity and less visual "noise", which the brain can interpret as more aesthetically pleasing.
But the statement of "old games look better" is still fucking retarded, because any old game trying to emulate natural environments involving foliage or water looks like fucking shit. Cityscapes and industrial environments hold up relatively well.

>Lack of fidelity means higher visual clarity and less visual "noise", which the brain can interpret as more aesthetically pleasing
What do you mean by low fidelity and less visual noise or higher clarity? What's fidelity

Hostile waters

Basically, as polygon budgets went up with more powerful hardware, devs could afford to put more window dressing and detail in their games. More effects, more clutter objects, make important objects more complex with far higher poly counts and more detailed textures, etc.
More detail is harder for the human eye to process. The less detail an image has, the quicker you can take in all there is to see.

>Is it because they're more colorful?
that plays a part, plus no fucking TAA that blurs shit. no idea why they thought that was a good idea.
give me directx 8 + coloured lighting any day over the blurry tinted shit that comes out nowadays

i would rather look at a stylized depiction of something than an imperfect replication of it. my argument falls apart when you consider that game designers of the past intended replication but were limited by the technology available. however, i don't care about their intention, especially when we are decades past the initial release of fully 3D games.

>TAA blur

Is that what it is? Because I have a hard time seeing shit in modern FPS

All anti-aliasing is fundamentally a blur filter and TAA is one of the worst offenders.
It became standard in vidya due to MSAA being shit in deferred renderers. At this point many games require TAA enabled and even render textures and reflections at lower than native resolution hoping to hide it with said blur.
What's worse is DLSS and FSR are being shilled now for performance reasons. We are going directly backwards, what we should be doing is making high PPI standard.

theres a good chance, if its from anything from like 2016 onwards. you get weird smeary artifacts with TAA. it also just makes shit look like plastic or something. problem is games are built around TAA so when you turn it off it looks even worse than a normal game without AA although i play with AA off cause i like the jaggies hehe

I remember 20 years ago in a shooter I could hipfire accurately at range just fine because I could see what I'm shooting. Nowadays its hard to tell even with 2x ADS

Nostalgia.

everything looks so much clearer

Attached: ss_b1807e65d98b8e0b866709e5e6d3318ea34705f8.png (1440x900, 1.78M)

when the graphics are less detailed your brain fills in the details, which is preferable to modern overly busy graphic styles

I thought this was a UI bloat parody image from the thumbnail and got bummed it wasn't.

its caused by a low resolution. the ui isnt that cramped

Attached: ss_358eb0e276a07f4c817da6f4101fb3308dfb94b8.jpg (1920x1080, 707.17K)

>when the graphics are less detailed your brain fills in the details, which is preferable to modern overly busy graphic styles
i think it feels just easier to process and is less cluttered

like when i first played gears of war in 2007, it was hard to see at range

Attached: hk.png (1247x933, 1.49M)

it could be, why are there two maps?

which game is this?

deus ex, hong kong level

Attached: 1_7yCfzCN.jpg (1024x768, 118.02K)

That's probably why raytracing looks so shit when it comes to realtime reflections
It's so blurry and noisy that it just the "reflection" part kind of just glosses over your head, it's the same with lighting.

>it could be, why are there two maps?
1 strategic, 1 tactical

Attached: 18.jpg (1024x768, 99.14K)

Funny, IMO Halo 3 is one of the best, cleanest-looking games of all time and that released in 2007 as well.

Attached: halo 3 mp.jpg (1280x720, 798.95K)

Absolutely agreed. H3 is incredible too look at to this day.

not necessarily. it's that the colors are sharper. there's more contrast and saturation tends to be higher. no blur or bloom shit mucking up the screen. shapes are simple and minimalist so silhouettes are expertly constructed as a rule. less shit cluttering the screen to make places feel "lived in." you try and render something like einhander or tekken 3 using modern hardware with an emulator and it's a pleasant viewing for these reasons.