I've never played a JRPG. Where should I start?

I've never played a JRPG. Where should I start?

Attached: jrpg.jpg (1024x925, 179.91K)

Keep on keeping on.

Play Chrono Trigger, it's both the first and last JRPG anyone should ever play

Play Final Fantasy 1, and then never play another JRPG because none of them compare to FF1

If you want a fun, basic, simple lead in, Dragon Quest 3 (any version) is great. Any DQ, really.
I'd also recommend Final Fantasy 6 if you want something more story heavy.

Chrono Trigger is the best gateway JRPG. It introduces you to the core concepts of the genre in a way that is easy and forgiving, and its visuals and sound still hold up unless you're rabidly anti-retro. As a bonus, it doesn't really hold up all that well for people who go deeper into the JRPG genre (shallow characters, easy combat, etc.), so it's best to play it early on while you can get the most out of it.

Hydlide, it was the GOAT of JRPGs then and it is still now. Absolutely mogs whatever recommendation in the thread.

If you want a true adventure to immerse yourself in and not a anime-trope filled nonsense then play any JRPG before 2006.

DQ5,the only jrpg i was able to finish

DQ8 if you're OK with turn based.

Kingdom Hearts 2 if you need an ARPG(KH1 plot us simple, watch a video or read a synopsis)

Super Mario RPG

Aside from CT, Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest are good starting points. I'm not too familiar with DQ, but FFIV is a good starting point if you don't want to really invest more than 20-30 hours. FFVI, VII, and X are also really good entry points, but require greater time investment.

just play ff7 it's the only remotely entertaining jrpg

Yakuza Like A Dragon is a cool JRPG to start off with, introduced it to a close friend and now he's obsessed with them.

Great suggestion, game is both easy to get into and also easy to beat.

Dragon Quest 1 is a good starting point if you want to see how primitive and old things used to be. You might get some appreciation from it.

Suikoden is a great start. Simple mechanics, fun, lots of characters. First playthrough is probably only 18 hours, maybe 20+ if you are a completionist.

Attached: Suikoden cover.jpg (940x470, 192.37K)

Earthbound or any SNES JRPG that was produced by Square would be a great start

Attached: 4i3wzaviati81.png (640x640, 121.57K)

Persona 4 and 5 are both easy to pick up and with interesting enough mechanics and are the modern 3D suggestions
Chrono Trigger is simple enough to pick up and complex enough to keep interest most of the way and more retro feeling.
Earthbound is for people wanting more personality and aren't as concerned about combat being deep.

play dragon quest 11

came here to post this.
desu i'd take it a step further and say Chrono Trigger makes all other jrpgs irrelevant

the perfect primer for jrpgs

Attached: 2364645-snes_romancingsaga2_jp.jpg (2100x1398, 1.67M)

Chrono Trigger is the JRPG for people who don't like or want to pretend to like JRPGs

You shouldn't. Awful genre.

Start by learning Japanese, you can't really play any JRPG in English. They're all filled with gibberish.

There are only three good JRPGs:
>Dragon Quest III SNES
>Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land
>Dark Souls

Attached: 1653450546172.png (593x450, 358.07K)

Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord

Attached: lotr 3rd age.png (1024x680, 1.24M)

Chrono Trigger is not a JRPG. It's a linear adventure game. Its popularity is 100% historical revisionism.
Final Fantasy is not a JRPG. It's an Ultima clone.
Dragon Quest 3 is a ripoff of Hydlide which is a Wizardry clone and Final Fantasy 6 is a visual novel. Both are not JRPGs.
Super Mario RPG is not a JRPG. It's a platformer with faux-turn-based combat to appeal to retards who can't sneed.
Final Fantasy 7 is a blasphemy to the entire role-playing game genre and anyone who claims it or the remake is even remotely in-tune with what a (J)RPG ought to be like has brainworms and/or toxoplasmosis.
Kill yourselves.
These anons at least seem to have a pulse.

If you want to get into JRPGs then play anything made by Compile Heart. The mere sight of these games sends the average user into a frothing, irrational rage because they can't comprehend the idea of a JRPG being fun for its gameplay and core mechanics instead of having a needlessly long narrative which ends in the same exact fashion every single time.

Attached: fairyfencerfadf-1646682024964.jpg (1024x1024, 302.34K)

JRPG != anime shit

Attached: 1595113864141.png (1280x2378, 1.06M)