I want to experience Star Control II. Which version should I get? The official release? Open source Ur-Quan Masters...

I want to experience Star Control II. Which version should I get? The official release? Open source Ur-Quan Masters? Or UQM Megamod?

Original game is probably a bitch to run.
Open source remake is still on version 0.8.0.
Megamod is based on UQM, adds hd graphics and various bugfixes, but also changes stuff from the original game.

Attached: file.png (290x344, 246.68K)

GOG version

>Open source Ur-Quan Masters?
Yes, this one is the absolute best.

>Modern remixes
yay or nay?

Nay.

Ur-Quan Masters.
Can't go wrong with that.
Original graphics and you can switch between DOS and 3DO music and audio as you like.

No.

That's a nay for me. I appreciate the effort of the fandom but it's not the real thing. Good youtube listening.

What do you think Supox flowers smell like?

Also, how fucked I am? I'm too stupid for 4x games.

Not a 4x.
It's an Asteroids Action RPG.

The Ur-Quan Masters. Besides running on natively on modern operating systems, supporting network play for Super-Melee and such like, it allows you to switch between assets for the DOS version or the 3DO version (3DO assets are preferred), etc. There's no downside.

There's a HD version for graphics, I think it looks on the net worse but your mileage might vary and the answer isn't a no-brainer. There are also remixes for the soundtrack, these are almost universally worse. I think the actual interesting question is if you want to enable voiceovers: the game uses unique fonts to express the personality of the various aliens and by not using voice acting, you get to imagine what they sound like, while voice acting permanently robs you from this experience. I personally used voices on my first playthrough and I don't regret it, but I've seen people arguing against it.

One tip: the characters give you coordinates or other hints. It's prudent to write these down.

Attached: 1461619151430.gif (600x800, 123.51K)

How many hours until the AI doesnt absolutely wipe the floor with me in combat

About 20000RU in.
Try to find biological data to buy Hellbore cannons from the Melnorme.
More thrusters means more combat you can speed away from until then.

You can get Spathi Eluder ship early and it hard counters both Ur-Quan ship types. I guess the Slylandro probes are still a bit of an issue, but with some finesse you can delay the weapon upgrades. Of course, fully upgraded Flagship can blast anything.

What happened to these fucking cool covers?

>it hard counters every ship
ftfy

It fires homing rockets out the back so you can blindfire while running away. The ships most likely to give it trouble are some of the lest encountered anyway.

If you can beat the enemy ship but only with difficulty or with losses, I wouldn't call it hard counter. For example, while that's not a ship type you're fighting in the campaign, I'm pretty sure Spathi Eluder beats Chmmr Avatar with best play from both sides (at least, I can beat the hardest AI and I don't think the AI does anything exploitable), but if it takes several minutes to slowly wear down the zap-sats with frontal cannon barrages, and getting just an inch too close (while having to turn to face the enemy ship) annihilates you in a second, that's not beating the enemy ship with ease.

thanks, anons. Wish me luck.

Attached: file.png (1296x998, 113.83K)

UQM MegaMod is the best version as it comes with the most customization options and is the only one still actively updated. However there's no fault in playing the original UQM if you want to as that's what most people do. DO NOT buy the games on Steam or GOG. The UQM version of the game is both legally free and in fact better than the paid version. The reason you can get the game legally free and legally paid is due to an awkward legal situation the game is in. But it doesn't matter because the free version is actually better than the paid version.

Attached: E1CdYCnXIAY1rMF.jpg (644x821, 224.28K)

The Slylandro Probes are the main filter of this game. Best way to deal with them early-game is to upgrade your ship thrusters to max so you can avoid them. Also make an alliance with the Orz, their ships are pretty decent against them if you can aim.

Have fun user

You're never going to fight an Avatar in the campaign and the only other significantly difficult ships are gimmicks like the Druuge Mauler launching itself across the screen and the Illwrath Avenger cloaking all the time, which cause issues for pretty much every ship. The Eluder is the easy mode ship until you've got a Flagship with Hellbore Cannons and Targeting Devices, which is endgame unless you're rushing it.

If you are a zoomer, remember that this game predates handholding. Important clues are revealed in dialog and never mentioned again. There is a time limit, and if you don't find the way to greatly speed up travel times you will probably run out of time. There is no quest log. You are expected to take notes.

A fully upgraded flagship is super OP and will pretty much destroy every ship with ease. The only ship that's a threat is the Yehat since they can counter the hellbore cannons with their shield. However you can very easily avoid confrontation with the Yehat, just get the hell out of there once you start the revolution.

Attached: jolw329kc1u71.png (1000x1000, 460.4K)

Right now I lost 48 crew members during the first fight.

by the way you can change the name of your captain and ship. unless you're just sticking with defaults.