Source engine is outdated garbage

remaking this in source instead of source2 or even unreal was a huge fucking mistake.
phong shaders make everything look like plastic
also
>dx9 renderer in $CURRENT_YEAR
lmao

Attached: 2.jpg (1920x1080, 332.08K)

what are you remaking then and why did you started doing it in source if you hate source?

>dx9 renderer
Better than dx12

retard

>making them move to another engine and spending another 15 years rebuilding things
This game may as well be a Source 1 showcase.

The visuals aren't even the problem, it's the models. They spent all that time redesigning the game but couldn't shit out good looking character models. Also the guns all sound like shit, whoever was on that really fucked it up. They all feel like gmod downloads.

that scientist sitting on the left looks like he is in the midst of taking a massive shit.

>why didn't they switch to an engine they didn't have access to

I love source and I love making gay OP seethe by saying that I love source

>Source 2 documentation
>How to mod a weapon in Alyx
>can't change the scripts
>can't be upgraded
>can only use existing systems
The fuck happened to valve

the entire development was archaic it seems. I have heard that so many people were involved at different times during the decade and a half of development, no coherent vision (not that much was needed for a remake). also it was originally a free mod but they got approached by valve to sell it on steam. black mesa should be an example in how NOT to make a game. the only reason this wasn't a duke nukem forever flop is because of the dedicated half-life fan base.

>source engine is outdated garbage

Attached: 8jNpkRUap2xTNJ5B32YlQeqWard6W5pl.jpg (3840x2160, 1.5M)

they had 15 years, they could have written their own with that time on their hands. and they had multiple opportunities to switch engine their last shot was 2015 they could have switched to unreal then.

That's cool zoomer. Source 2 wasn't even announced when Black Mesa started development. Black Mesa started development before you were born after Half Life Source came out and disapointed everyone. So a full fan remake was started. This was before Unity, before freely available engines. It was a different time. If you were a nobody without funding you made a mod for free with whatever modding tools the devs provided. It took a decade to make Black Mesa. And Valve have only released the Source 2 source code to 1 dev. Gary. Maker of Gary's Mod. Source 2 is still not officially released to the public. Only one game uses it ( Half Life Alyx) and the SDK leaves a lot to be desired.

I still can't believe Ashes of Creation hasn't switched to Unreal Engine 6 with it's Full Motion Dive support. Fucking idiots.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 9.78K)

a heavily modified version of the engine (which black mesa isn't running on) doesn't count smartass.

Source 2 didn't exist when the Black Mesa project started.

Why develop their own engine for what started as a mod project for an IP they don't own? Using Valve's existing engine solved numerous problems with your suggestion.

>they should've switched to Unreal
Fuck Unreal, fuck Unreal movement, fuck everything about how Unreal engine looks and feels.

>the source engine doesnt count when talking about the source engine

Attached: Untitled.jpg (241x241, 11.12K)

all the way back in 2004? sure.but they had years(2015-2020) with unreal and unity available.

Why is source engine so soulful? Why can I start half life 2 and get immersed in the world when most AAA releases now just don't "feel" real, organic and alive?

>Unreal
No.
>Source 2
Wasn't even close to being released by the time this was made and it looks fine as it is. No one else is complaining, quit being a faggot.

Attached: cWPKcXs.jpg (1280x721, 248.39K)

they shouldn't. im saying with that much time in development they could have in theory made their own black mesa from scratch and it would have resulted in a better remake

I thought Dota2 used Source 2? Not like it matters anyway.

You are too invested on it, that happens to me with NES games, SNES games looked off to me.

Source engine is the most influential engine ever made and is responsible for the greatest games of all time and influenced internet humor.
Sure, it's outdated and it's shit when you place in omegahdpbr models, but it's mark on gaming is undeniable.

>most influential
>like 3 games outside valve IPs use it
Yeah

Unreal would have been perfect. it shares the same classic fps roots.

Source engine is my favorite engine
Wish all games were made on it
>muh graphics
Fuck you and your graphics, I make a point to make games look shittier on purpose when they look too good (like DOOM Eternal, how can people stand playing games with all these VFX flying around their screen)

Except modern Unreal engines are way too easy to fuck up the movement in.

Engine switches aren't easy. Duke Nukem Forever spent 10 years in development and 5 of those were catching up during engine switches. Source is it's own beast, even if they could port to Unreal 3 or 4 they then have to sort out every single borked texture, lighting problem and so on to the point they may as well start from scratch. And that would've added to the decade and a half long development.

Shut the fuck up zoomer.

Epic's Unreal happened. and lazy Valve lost interest whenever someone does something better as usual.

The first HL2 had the perfect ammount of realism and feeling to it, that's why it's so immersive.

No bullshit post-processing filters, chromatic abberation, no stupid shit, just you and the world.

I love Source, but Black Mesa is garbage. I can't believe people actually like this piece of shit. It's redesign of Interloper somehow makes the chapter even worse. Its enemy AI is worse than the original and it has the balls to showcase it. Here's an achievement:
>Deliver the finishing blow to Gonarch with your Crowbar.
Try it out. If you circle around the Gonarch, it will never attack you - it's busy turning around to face you. Really, try doing that in the original game. You're dead meat. Remember that the reason the original Xen was worse than the rest of the game was because they had deadlines and they had to rush it. A RUSHED boss has better AI than these fuckers who have had YEARS UPON YEARS to just COPY that same OPEN-SOURCED code. How the fuck can they be so incompetent?
>but they are a small team
Almost 30 people. How many did Valve have? And yet Valve had to not only make the entire game from scratch, but also making their own engine, even if based around Quake 2's. And all of this in just 2 years - Valve was founded in 1996, HL released in 1998. When did Black Mesa start development? 2005? 2006? And it was finished on 2020, that's 14 years, and it comes out with a subpar piece of shit.
I could complain more but damn I fucking hate Black Mesa

Or they just lose interest after leaving it in a terrible state, like tf2, Valve is no longer what it was before. Orange Box Valve doesn't exist anymore.

Bits and pieces were upgraded from source 1 but it's not fully a Source 2 game.

I bought it and played for 30 minutes and then uninstalled.

Black Mesa was originally just a mod for HL2. They didn't even have full access to Source until after the release of the Source2007 mod version, when they got Valve's blessing to sell the game on Steam.
The Steam version of Black Mesa that you play now does include a number of modifications to the engine. Xen in particular looks really nice because of the changes they made to the lighting system.