How willingly are you to suffer through annoying video game design for the sake of immersion or gameplay depth...

How willingly are you to suffer through annoying video game design for the sake of immersion or gameplay depth? Things like upkeep, degeneration, timers, limited resources, heavy punishment for failure etc. Things that aren't exactly "fun" by themselves, but might make the game more interesting overall.

Attached: 1658162873480915.jpg (425x282, 31.54K)

I feel like Rain World is one of these, the game is brutal for its unfairness but I think it made the journey much more rewarding and it became one of my favorites of all time

Attached: 1656291926962.gif (123x123, 27.27K)

yes i love escape from tarkov

As long as it feels like the game has a unified design idea behind it, then it's fine. It annoys me more when they include mechanics like that but then give you a million easy way to bypass them, like how BotW throws weapons at you so degradation is irrelevant, or how Persona throws SP regen so the calendar system is irrelevant.

It depends on how degenerate you are,so not very much

I'm the guy who unironically thinks rain in BotW was good and that the game needed more of those kind of mechanics.

>My guns breaking
>everything is on fire
>now I need to take my malaria pills
>whilst being shot at

I like it.

i have zero patience with timers. if i'm forced to do things by the clock, my enjoyement disappears

I instantly notice my fun is being raped by a pack of niggers whenever I see shit that adds tedium rather than difficulty.

Attached: 1657535982865.jpg (828x575, 149.22K)

Im ok with timers if they are relevant. Bomb going off or something. I dont like a timer for something that doesnt matter like a delivery in GTA.

elden ring is the sour spot, the place where bloat and unfun enemy/boss design post altus plateau made me at first get frustrated with myself, but later realize that's no fault of mine, and evolve as a critical person I guess.

I'm aging and have catching up to do to fit in society and reach where I wanna be. If a game doesn't respect my time I drop it.
bloat, unfair difficulty(stuff you have to fail rather than being able to beat fast if you have enough skill) make me drop games.

If it's executed well and the things work together, then I'm fairly willing to accept new gameplay mechanics.
An example of stuff I'd be willing to put up with would be HoI4 adding so many new mechanics to the game that the base game is almost like a different game entirely, but all of this new stuff comes together very well, so even though it's in place to slow me down in some areas or force me to put more attention in others, the game pace stays generally the same, makes the game more interesting, so I like it.
Then there's something like Civilization 6 where they force in a borderline propaganda climate change system just because it's the current thing and it serves to do nothing but fuck up the game for everyone. It's too preachy, it's not fun, I end up just turning the DLC off because it's so annoying.

don't forget taking out the bullets from your arm and fixing up your bones as you run

Time limits can be fine if you have full info, can retry and actually need to optimize your path.
Time limits with a load of spare time are pure anti-fun.

Quality of life features are good but can also be a double edged sword by making the game so convenient that it feels artifical. Modern Bethesda games especially suffer from this, it doesn't feel like stepping into an actual world anymore. Just a place that solely exists for your enjoyment.

doesnt matter what I have to put up with since im so good at video games. if I'm immersed nothing will stop me

Attached: jungle.jpg (1280x720, 312.23K)

The void has to be the most frustrating tedious and mind numbing videogame i have ever played.
But i fucking loved it, the way the gameplay is interconnected with the story and its themes is fantastic and the setting, characters and overall journey is something you don't get with any other game out there. I just wish it wasn't a terrible videoGAME.

Attached: The_Void_(video_game).jpg (265x375, 20.44K)

>But i fucking loved it, the way the gameplay is interconnected with the story and its themes is fantastic and the setting, characters and overall journey is something you don't get with any other game out there.
Then it was a great videogame.

Practically the only thing on your list that really annoys me is having a time limit. When a game has some annoying feature, let's say traffic spawning right in front of you in GTA 3, you can reasonably ignore it and enjoy other parts of the game. When you're racing against a timer and suddenly a van spawns and you flip your car trying to avoid it, it becomes a hell of a lot more frustrating.

A lot, that pretty much describes most of my favorite games. Oddly I don't actually enjoy challenging games that much. Something like traditional X-Com is way to hard for me. I hate save scumming, but the game is way to hard for me without it, so I just get stressed out as I lose more and more and start feeling like I'm just on a downward slope, then I just quit. But I love stuff like Dwarf Fortress, Kenshi and Souls games.

It depends. How good is the sound track?