Why did rts died?

Why did rts died?
Was it mobas drawing away the audience and developers?
Was that fous on ladder multiplayer and overly competitive atmosphere?
Is it just not appealing to zoomers?
Its obviously hard to make because you need serious technical skill to make one.
>inb4 genre is totaly alive i play it every day
Your game is on life support and we get 1 indie game every 2 years now.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 382.44K)

the genre had already peaked decades ago with AoE2, sc, wc, c&c and other notable series
unlike other genres, rts doesn't get much added value from improved graphics and new physics

I will agree on the peaking
But we can totally use new factions, stories and mods
SC2 coop mod was really popular and it was an after thought
So there's clearly new things we can explore

there are atleast 2-3 RTS games released every year
why do you people keep parroting this nonsense?

AoE2 has always been better then BW.

I didn't know they were making RTS games in 1980s.

Steady decline in IQ and critical thinking skills in the general population probably

Same reason fast boomer shooters and arena shooters died out before the recent renaissance.
Too fast, too difficult, too reliant on reflexes and mechanical skill.

Audiences wanted simpler games and RTS are too complicated. It's why mobas became so popular. Same base defence and unit management but strip out base building, strip away all other units to control.
Look at how uniform every other game has become

>Was it mobas drawing away the audience and developers?
people always say this, but didn't mobas originate more from the rtt side of things? yeah, aeon of strife and all that, but focus is more on microing existing units rather than building bases and managing resources.

Attached: Myth_the_fallen_lords_box_art.jpg (800x779, 162.96K)

/thread

Problem is what gets released is mediocre/quickly forgotten, and your genre can't live on remasters and remakes. Basically, there's no new big budget title to impress people.

>AoE4 releases
>immediately forgotten
>everyone goes back to AoE2 in some form

MOBAs just shift complexity elsewhere.
And DOTA has extremely micro creep control.
I don't understand this mindset of the only "valid" complexity, being massive amounts of units.

was it a worthy revival attempt?

Attached: thumb-1920-675961.jpg (1920x1080, 193.38K)

Loved Total Annihilation
Supreme Commander was cool because it was the next iteration

I just downloaded and refunded Iron Harvest on Steam. Probably a combination of disliking the art and just being too old to care to learn a new set of nuanced construction patterns

because depending on your preferences perfection in the genre was already achieved in some form. playing something just because it's new is a consumer way of thinking.

People grew up. When I was a kid I love them, but now I dont want to waste time grinding resources making a base and then finally attack with every single game

>Problem is what gets released is mediocre/quickly forgotten,
I think it's a similar thing to MMO addicts, in not exactly knowing what they want. And being unable to discern the dissonance, which results in devs having no idea what to do because the fans are contradicting themselves.
A big portion of this is trying to keep old franchises alive instead of making new ones.

>Entire genre and subgenre is my complexity
>it's gameplay is always shit and learning hotkeys and could be gamed just by using macros

What's interesting is it's specifically the real-time strategies. If you look at it turn-based strategies no matter what they are did just fine. In fact, seemingly more complex genres like 4X and grand strategies have never been more popular.

The genre is stale, veterans don't want to admit it. And new people don't understand it enough to know why they don't like it. People can whine all they want, but mobas took off for a reason.

The more interesting of a spin you put on the genre the better the chances you'll survive. That's why Spellforce made it despite probably having limited niche appeal, for example.

Attached: 6016521900.jpg (750x580, 334.31K)

Myth 1 and 2 is one of my favorites and didn't have really been replaced by anything yet.

MOBA is the further development of hero units, created by Blizzard with WC3.

>Was that fous on ladder multiplayer and overly competitive atmosphere?
I think thats it.
Sc llC because famous as the game where APM is everything that matters
Companies tried to appeal to that because Korea ate that shit up
And rest of the playerbase thought that playing moonlight sonata on their keyboard isnt that fun

My understanding was that companies got lazy and subpar rts titles and so they sold less and then companies figured people just weren't into them

I think it's more that sweaties just beat the noobs so fast that the noobs don't get to learn or appreciate the mechanics. No one has fun enough to stick around and get good, and the only way to get good is to robotically follow some youtube tutorial for the optimized strategies.