Why are sim racing games so underrated...

Why are sim racing games so underrated? With a wheel with force feedback these games are easily as top tier as fighting games and strategy games in the amount of fun you can get

Playing Semetin in Richards Burn Rally (hungarian) or Nurburgring in Assetto Corsa is easily a life changing experience. BeamNG provides insane fun with a FFB wheel for your average player with traffic and Euro/American Truck are long hours hauling for your comfy nights

Force Feedback is insanely fun to have but players don't know how fun it's because its 100% gameplay instead of visuals like graphics or sounds. Games that look shitty like Richard Burn Rally are incredible with a FFB wheel

Attached: assettocorsa.jpg (1080x1080, 269.73K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wheelstandpro.com/.
youtube.com/watch?v=drw9AP8_noE&t=0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Speak English, nigger

racing games stopped being fun for me in like middle school a decade and half ago

because sims are not games faggot.

Patrician tastes.

I'd add that if you've sunk 250 on a wheel you might as well also consider putting 400 into a quest 2.

Assetto Corsa and Richard Burn Rally in VR + FFB is just as revelatory as going to FFB for the first time. You have actual depth perception and can look at the apex turning in, imagine that. I'm on an ancient rift 1 and it still kicks ass.

the only good racing games are arcade combat racers like burnout 3

Excellent taste, sim racing is definitely incredible, but it is very expensive. It costs as much as VR

>Why are sim racing games so underrated?
Because you need a dedicated setup to even get started, with pretty much no ceiling on how much you wanna spend on it.
Pair that with a fairly steep learning curve due to the unforgiving gameplay and you can see why this isn't very attractive to the vast majority of people.

I need to get back into Dirt Rally 2. Not exactly a fully blown sim, but man driving RWD cars fast is tough.

Attached: 1637809112136.webm (720x900, 1.56M)

Like everything its amazing at first but once you get used to it it's not that great especially if you you can't leave it setup all the time. Setting up and dissembling your wheel from your desk every time you just want to play a racing game for 30mins to an hour gets extremely annoying. I've owned both a g27 and a T300, currently my T300 and all it's components have been sitting in my closet gathering dust for over a year because of how much of a pain it is to plug power, plug USB, plug pedals, plug shifter, then get my monitors positioned correctly only then do the reverse in an hour.

I'd say it is worth it though if you can keep it all setup 24/7.

Just buy a DFGT for 50 bucks if you don't want to invest a lot.

I race with an industrial grade motor bolted to my desk because it's more fun, though. Personally I like just hopping on SRP for an hour or two a day and weaving through traffic while smoking shitters until I crash.

Learning curve and initial cost, but I do agree that racing games are excellent, especially with VR.

A G29 isn't going to break your bank and probably has decent resale if you decide it isn't for you

My investments so far:
- G25 @ $250
- Wheel Stand Pro @ $100
- Rift 1 headset only @ $250 (used for flightsimming/space combat as well)

Get a wheel stand wheelstandpro.com/. I used to unbox/box two times a year and then simrace for a month like a complete caveman. It folds up to fit inside a wardrobe and is sturdy enough to play on full FF. The pedals actually stay in place way better than on the floor.

I play AC at least three times a week on various SRP servers, some of the most fun I have had playing racing games in years. Amazing what people have done with it. youtube.com/watch?v=drw9AP8_noE&t=0

>single bar
>in the middle of your legs
Yeah, nah. Maybe it'll stand up to something weak like a G29, but not anything half decent.

The NLR wheel stand 2.0 looks like the best out of the box option for most people. Folds up easily enough, can be used with a regular office chair. If I didn't spend 150 bucks building my own rig out of box steel, this is probably what I would've bought.

What's a simracing that one can play without a wheel?

the main aspect of simracing is that you can feel the track in your wheel, the grip of your tires and everything that's happening, even the collisions

So its hard to recommend a game without a wheel, Forza Horizon is fun if you like cars, but a wheel is just completely different, imagine rally games like dirt rally 2 have laser scanned tracks and you can feel every single bump on the road on your wheel, its just amazing

It's like many other hobbies where the cost of entry isn't too bad but it can quickly balloon if you get into it. I started out with a used G920 and a rolling desk chair, played like that for five years. Taking the wheel on and off unplugging shit all the time. Now I have a Fanatec wheel and pedals mounted to a stand with a bucket seat. That thing stays in front of my computer and takes up the same footprint as the old rolling chair.
It's not for everyone, but if it's out, you'll play it more. I'm a lot smoother since having a fixed setup versus rolling around. The more expensive wheel didn't make me race much better, but it feels a lot more immersive, VR is the next step.

Attached: 1658274170807849.jpg (3128x2112, 2.45M)

>without a wheel
Playing a sim game without a wheel is like trying to play an action title with touchscreen controls on mute. Sure, you can do it. But you're not going to have much fun.

Arcade titles are easier to get into and can be played with a keyboard or controller with no real issue, because elements like grip are simplified so the car doesn't need to tell you as much if you want to go fast. It's not realistic to just tap the brake and go into a drift, but you don't have to spend hours playing to get the hang of it.

BeamNG is the most fun Sim that wouldn't need a wheel. Assetto is not as fun with a controller, and it was even available for Playstation. Beam isn't really a racing game but I have a few hundred hours in it, excellent sandbox with mod support.

To me its kinda amazing developers did force feedback for wheels in a market that's indie as hell compared to AAA games, its just really incredible

Then you see the actual pro real life players on the leaderboards using certain sims taking times on certain real life tracks and its just beyond belief, simracing is truly underrated

They didn't get patent trolled. FFB has been a mainstay of racing games since the arcade, it was inevitable that it'd come to home systems. Flight sims were the same, but those got patent trolled so FFB sticks basically disappeared from the market and games stopped bothering to include support.

FFB is ultimately something that's pretty easy to include in some capacity, it's just making a motor turn one way or the other.