The pursuit of realism is destroying atmosphere in video gaming

The pursuit of realism is destroying atmosphere in video gaming.

Attached: soulless.jpg (1274x1304, 116.94K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5eb0FgUwqUc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>The pursuit of realism is destroying atmosphere in video gaming.

Attached: 15883632844991.png (673x579, 561.61K)

i disagree. the problem stems from the lack of imagination of modern art directors.

Bottom wasn't realistic at the time?

I miss games like beetle adventure racing where it was normal racing with crazy tracks.

No, realistically, you wouldn't be racing at sunset. Realistic would be to take a picture of the track at midday, and use that as your basis for the lighting of your level.

In NuGT, day/night is dynamic and technically accurate. The sun is where the sun should be for that time of day, and changes according to how it should move in reality.

What this translates to, is a situation where no specific straight, turn or section of the track has any thought into the lighting or atmosphere of that section of track. Rather than racing to finish at sunset, you're driving in generic sunny weather, because that's what the computer said it's supposed to look like.

Attached: 3412.jpg (1278x1300, 127.5K)

>realistically, you wouldn't be racing at sunset
WEC, IMSA, and NASCAR all say hi.

>realistically, you wouldn't afford a racing car

>realistically, you wouldn't be racing at sunset.
???

modern refer to the 20th century

Attached: file.png (1274x1304, 1.32M)

>muhpiccassoart
>game/franchise/series that is about realistic car driving simulation

was 5 or something all about simulating/recreating weather at specific time of year etc

>>realistically, you wouldn't be racing at sunset.

Tradition dictates motor racing is typically done between the hours of 10am & 4pm, unless it's a 24hr style thing.

The real soulsucker was shaders. Fuck shaders.

Attached: Soul Calibur attract mode.webm (640x480, 2.92M)

retard

Shout out to 24hr races

Yes. I miss times when they couldn't make everything realistic. You still have new levels for Quake and Doom. They use basic 3D geometry. Making new map for modern games is much harder. But result is not realy better.

Attached: 1650495430015.jpg (1000x750, 369.31K)

Soul Calibur 1, 2 and 3 are SORCERY man...
How did they age so well with so much soul?

bitch enjoys getting the kebab at night

>nuGT
God it hurts to see GT games go to shit youtube.com/watch?v=5eb0FgUwqUc

It's only done on 24h races and the driver doesn't even see the sunset due to a glare filter in his helmet.

For the plebeians in here, GT3 Trial Mountain > power gap > rest. Yes, GT4 Trial Mountain was graphically downgraded because it was a meme game.

Gran Turismo 7 is maximung comfy. I like to set up custom races with max KI driver (and chose their cars), fast day/night cycle, rain and sun alternation and a track like the Nordschleife. Then I start the race and drive to a random nice spot and go off the track, change camera view and just keep it running and watch the KI cars passing by every now and then.

You see the sunset every 20 minutes or so. Sometimes a minute passes by with no cars visible but then all of sudden a light appears in the distance. It's just so nice. All the atmosphere is like the real thing. I've noticed the cars randomly crash too especially if there is heavy rain.

And then after the race I check how some of the cars did during the race. Fun to see as you chose them by yourself.

Attached: 0602547533432.jpg (600x600, 40.89K)

GT3 was so near perfect. The vivid color palette, the big energy electronic and feel good rock soundtrack, the orange UI, the god rays, the heat haze at the grid, the perfect balance of looseness and elasticity of the camera swing, all taken from you in GT4.

Attached: B-8.webm (400x240, 3M)

>be me
>buy GT Sport at launch
>play it for 60 hours
>realize the game is shit and nothing like older GT games
>see GT7 trailer
>get hyped
>wait until launch
>see that GT7 has DRM online only bullshit along microtransaction AIDS

I'm boycotting GT7, fuck Sony. I went back to playing GT3, I'm fucking sick of modern gaming outside of Nintendo and even they're testing my patience as of late. I pray to God every day for another video game crash.

Yes there's nothing like using a Skyline with a shitton of boost on Apricot Hill while She Sells Sanctuary plays in the background. Peak levels of SOVL we will never get in another Gran Turismo game. Fuck Sony.

>No, realistically, you wouldn't be racing at sunset.
???

Attached: 2c5cbf70-916d-406b-8aa6-d267165fc444_orig.jpg (1000x667, 96.04K)