When bad gameplay is justified

Attached: 127038-drakengard-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg (800x1126, 214.46K)

What do you mean by justified

Drakengard 1 is good in spite of its mediocre gameplay and would only be improved by the gameplay being better. It would be far more immersive for killing shit to be as enjoyable for the player as it is for Caim.

Drakengard's gameplay is fun, people who say they played it for the "story" are retarded, there's barely any story in the game

Correct, the people who argue that the gameplay was bad on purpose didn't spend more than 5 seconds actually thinking that through and how it doesn't match up with the game at all.
Incorrect. I can only imagine this is the only hack 'n slash you've ever played because it feels like total shit. The dragon segments are just okay.

Yoko Taro has made one good game in his career, everyone pretending that his stuff before Automata was secretly brilliant is just wrong. They have interesting ideas and themes but they're often only explored in the most shallow of ways with awful gameplay.

>Incorrect
it's not though, I play lots of hack n slash and I enjoyed drakengard's gameplay. It's comfy.
Automata is his only bad game, people who like automata are faggots

Automata is not even that good, the combat doesn't have enough nuance to be fun for more than a few hours. Just because that's a few more hours than his older games doesn't make it good.

(you)

Automata's gameplay isn't that great, it's just competent, which is leagues better than his other games. The real reason people like it is that it has an enjoyable story and characters with some very effective emotional moments, something that the original NieR also had but nobody experienced because the gameplay was too shit. If Automata's gameplay was any worse you wouldn't hear anybody talking about it because they literally wouldn't beat the fucking game.

>drakengard 1 combat good
>automata combat bad
I can tell this is an honest opinion and definitely not shaped by Any Forums's trademark contrarianism.

I didn't even mention automata's combat, but yes it is worse than drakengard combat

it's never justified. Drakengard is a boring fucking mess that couldn't decide if it wanted to be Ace Combat or Dynasty Warriors so it chose to be bad at both
but hey MUH WATCHERS MUH LOLI MUH PSYCHOPATH MC

The gameplay isn't actually bad. On ground it's an average musou, just incredibly monotonous. In the sky the dragon parts are fun.

Attached: 1510328713519.jpg (1516x1138, 645.79K)

>MUH WATCHERS MUH LOLI MUH PSYCHOPATH MC

Attached: 1518552186190.png (1500x1948, 1.28M)

>It would be far more immersive for killing shit to be as enjoyable for the player as it is for Caim.
Drakengard doesn't succeed by being "more immersive." It succeeds because it drives you mad and is incredibly mentally draining by the time you finally finish it. It's succeeds because of the unique and brutal experience of playing it. The music ties in perfectly with what gameplay is currently on offer. Better gameplay would elevate it too far above everything else the game offers and make you resent the rest even more because of the uneven presentation.

>acting as if the gameplay is intentionally bad when the real reason is that ground combat was never supposed to be in the game and Cavia were forced by SE to implement it during development because of the success of dynasty warriors.
>giving a backhanded compliment to the music by pretending it's supposed to be bad when it's actually just good and you have no taste.

Attached: 3534564563.jpg (640x480, 21.77K)

Arguing the gameplay in Drakengard is meant to be mental torture to represent Caim's madness is like arguing Blight Town is meant to be 5fps to represent the Chosen Undead's fear and hesitation.
That said I unironically enjoyed Drakengard's gameplay back in the day. And the OST is still fucking brilliant.

>acting as if the gameplay is intentionally bad
I never said any such thing. It's not bad, but it is an absolute slog and will wear you down. The game's strength is as a whole, greater than the sum of its parts.
>backhanded compliment to the music
I own the soundtrack. It's an excellent soundtrack. But to listen to it outside of its intentions as a soundtrack is a very different thing. To remake the game and improve the gameplay provide too much proper enjoyment out of it, but the slog of it fits with the soundtrack designed to be all tension and no release.

Attached: ps2_drakengard_19.gif (500x344, 924.91K)

>incredibly mentally draining
I think it's relaxing

this WILL make scrubs upset

Attached: tumblr_ma3yi4HAOq1qd130qo1_1280-1614155966.jpg (1280x720, 217.65K)