Live-A-Live

You're telling me a FUN turn-based combat system existed for decades and no one bothered to imitate it? We just kept on getting reiterations of dragon quest?

Attached: 71-Sing.gif (512x448, 1.44M)

Y is it fun

weird to me there's no mp

>a FUN turn-based combat system
How does it work?

I'm more surprised that people haven't copied the way the game is set up. I feel like an indie game made out of a lot of separate vignettes like this that all meet up in the end would be pretty easy to make. You don't have to worry about connecting areas to one another, each chapter is its own self-contained short story... really, it's WEIRD there hasn't been more imitators.

Square had tons of various turn based battle systems during the SNES era.

to be fair this would require managing fuckton of people.
part of livealive charm is that each chapter was more or less designed by different people, so when they join in the final chapter, it's like a massive crossover between completely unrelated IPs.

the game has a ton of unique battles, as opposed to the general jrpg norm where you're grinding various incarnations of the same 20ish mobs for 60+ hours

>no one bothered to imitate it
Touhou-a-Live exists.

Isnt that basically octopath traveller?

>t. never beat king mammoth

octopath failed miserably on connecting the stories. god that game sucked.

Not really. There are 8 characters, yeah, but they all share the same big, interconnected world. The town one guy's chapter 2 is in may be some other guy's chapter 3.

SaGa Frontier

I thought it was the worst written game until i played 13 sentinels a year later.
Japan just keeps outdoing themselves when it comes to atrocious characterization.

SaGa Frontier puts all the characters in mostly the same locations, and doesn't have them team up for some epic conclusion.

Yeah, it ends up creating balance problems because not all moves are equal so you can just continuously use the best ones, or continuously buff because buffs stack infinitely as near as I can tell

think I'll give this a shot. looks like it fixed everything I didn't like about Octopath

first romancing saga lets you recruit unpicked main characters in your party and you can do their main quests partially.

filtered

damn, are we the same person?
that game sucked dick too.