How do I into Starsector? I'm a huge Warband fan, but this game hasn't grabbed me so far...

How do I into Starsector? I'm a huge Warband fan, but this game hasn't grabbed me so far. Maybe it's because I'm shit at combat/not past some of the learning curves?

Attached: starsector.jpg (300x168, 6.61K)

You play until you get good, not hard.

You do missions to get a better fleet to do more missions. There's a lot of different things you could consider missions but if that core doesn't appeal to you then just stop.

the game has literally no sense of progression and can be "beat" in one sitting despite years of development
once you've played it once you've seen it all because there's fuckall to actually do

>How do I into Starsector?
Watch Sseth's review and then never actually play the game. The devs don't even seem to care whether the game sells or not.

You have fun making your own faction then make people like this samefag seethe

I don't dislike the game, but as you implied, if you're not into writing fanfic then there's not much to actually do.

This. The game is too open and would have have been better if it was remade with levels, cutscenes, and a story you follow.
As it is now, the game forces you to decide for your self what you want to do and set your own goals.

>cutscenes
Get out, snoy.
Can you formulate why exactly you're not enjoying the game? Does the progression feel too slow? Do you feel like you're not making money fast enough? Are you getting gibbed in combat?

Don't get baited into piloting big ships, at least not until you know what you're doing. The game punishes you severely for overextending yourself and getting out of position, so slow big ships tend to get absolutely fucked unless you know exactly how much punishment you can withstand and how you plan to make the most of your time.

Frigates are great for players starting out because of their mobility. It's very easy to disengage when a situation looks bad. Once you're comfortable with moving on to something that is better for having a substantial impact on battles, I'd recommend a Sunder for a beginner. It's a very effective weapon, especially if you put something like ion pulsers on it.

Honestly my biggest gripe with the game is that you only get three chances at best (one of those chances is an ultra rare encounter most people won't even see because of the conditions to make it appear) to obtain the end game weapons. Once you've fought the two fixed doritos fights, the only one left is the mission, and the dev said it's hard coded to never appear again after the first time you clear it. This essentially means that you can spend hours building up a fleet and leveling up only to find out the weapons you planned on using for your flagship didn't drop so you either go without or start over from scratch. Poor design IMO. I think those weapons should be extremely hard to obtain, but it's just fucking stupid that there's a hard cap on how many can generate.

Is there some guide I should read to get good at combat? Im so bad at it

>cutscenes

Attached: sony in charge of vidya.png (990x169, 48.75K)

Attached: tempestchan.jpg (2121x3000, 1.1M)

Attached: shadechan.jpg (3384x2000, 2.06M)

That's not samefagging, newfriend. Samefagging is replying to yourself.

>You have fun making your own faction
Impossible because I wanted to make a cool good boy faction that didn't use AIs, but then the game cockblocks you and only allows you to have 2 human administrators for no reason. Game is mindless fun before then though, but actually trying to make your own little empire blows.

Cheat the living shit out of it by giving your character infinite skill points. Then you will start having fun.

This is also how you have fun in Warband BTW.

Get mods, vanilla Starsector is rather boring and most of the mods, barring some exceptions, are very finely balanced to the point that majority of mod ships and weapons are inferior to vanilla. In fact SS mod community is perhaps the only one out there obsessed with balancing their content to such a ridiculous no-fun-allowed extent that genuinely interesting things ended up being taken out of mods due to community feedback that is concerned with balancing this singleplayer game as if it were an esports title.

Attached: Larry-Foulke-2013-4003.jpg (250x250, 34.17K)

>but then the game cockblocks you and only allows you to have 2 human administrators for no reason
You can easily edit that and change max administrators or officers by editing settings.json. A lot can be edited there to tailor the game experience to suit your needs, including the exp rates, the maximum amount of skillups officers can have, officer maximum levels and so forth.

What mods, fren? I've got most the QoL ones I think

None I'm familiar enough with to recommend. Aside from having the hand-eye coordination to circle enemies while shooting at them it's just about learning which ships are alright and which weapons don't suck and how best to combine them. People will talk about the best this or that, but the game is fairly forgiving if you're only fighting pirates, as their ships are often riddled with d-mods. I can safely say don't be like me and try to make a cool space salvager fleet and take the abilities that buff civilian ships and try to mod them into combat roles. Absolute waste of time and no matter how you spec them they evaporate in about 10 seconds of contacting the enemy. In general mid max the shit out of ships. The game limits you on how many ships you can even field, so make sure you have enough pure combat ships to field them and just have shitty civilian ships stay behind. My last game I liked having big lowtech ships that just pounded people with cannons till their shields dropped and then spamming a torrent of torpedoes at them. Very satisfying watching big capital ships instantly explode the second their shields ran out.

lolwut
The most fun I have in warband is starting a character from scratch and trading,then become a mercenary when I want to. I like the rags to riches path. I also do it in the mods.

Sounds like something the developer should do. I get it, and I'll do that next time I want to play, but the fact there was even a cap that low there kind of killed all my desire to keep playing.

Colonies are kind of exceptionally unbalanced right now. Their only purposes are making mone and building ships, and both of those services you gain access to when you don't actually need them anymore, because the ampunt of resources they require to develop would mean you're already filthy rich and played long enough to assemble your dream fleet.
AI should count for the admin cap, admin cap should be extended by some means, AI admins should have different events for disconnections instead of the same double crossing, colonies should provide more different services, maybe have some kind of ideological doctrine for your faction that conveys different bonuses and penalties, etc.
I know that the devs subscribe to an "Everything is about combat and non-combat is just an excuse to get to combat" philosophy, but this game really deserves to be expanded in non-combat fields more.