I'm tired of city slickers bitching about open world games being "empty" because they literally get anxiety at the...

I'm tired of city slickers bitching about open world games being "empty" because they literally get anxiety at the thought of being in a place where there's no Starbucks or homeless person in their immediate vicinity. Big vast spaces in games are immersive and kino; not to mention they make actually finding shit more fun because it's not something that happens constantly.

Post your favorite "empty" games.

Attached: gm-0b5d0ca9-7010-44a9-b180-8af1faa57849-deathstrandingreleasedate.jpg (940x530, 83.03K)

The GOAT

Attached: 422ed0765060c41ce1a839cf7f7d57d55cb76501v2_hq.jpg (782x914, 84.15K)

>bitches about supposed urbanites
>would stare at a monitor for hours watching his character walk from point A to point B in video game instead of going outside and enjoying nature

>Implying you can't do both.

Yes, the feeling of isolated empty areas can enhance the experience too. The point of Death Stranding and Shadow of the Colossus is obviously for a lot of it to feel lonely and isolating. Then for something like a GTA game not every corner of the map needs to have a side quest or minigame, you can have these comfy chill zones, the countryside and desert of SA (not completely devoid of content) has long stretches of nothing but it's part of the atmosphere and the world.

Death Stranding is a different kind of 'empty'. The weight and traversal mechanics mean that even the empty is gameplay, and that's what makes it so good.

Is another kinda good example. It's evidently done as a pace breaker and tone setter. Actual empty, like the entire top section of GTAVs map or some Ubi shit is just pointless and adds nothing to that type of game.

I unironically love the open world in MGSV

Attached: 4a52cc6b6b286b42b25fdcec44b12daf--metal-gear-solid-video-game.jpg (736x424, 75.56K)

>immersive
I don't want immersion in the first place. I don't need to escape anything. I just want a game, the more arcade-ish and less simulator-ish, the better. I don't want to waste too much time either.

RDR2 sometimes I just spawn a canoe and ride down the river.

Attached: Red Dead Redemption 2 2020-05-20 01-50-10_1.webm (1280x720, 2.84M)

If you weren't from a city yourself you'd just go the fuck outside for this experience like I do. I have three coat racks made of antlers, now put actual content in open world games rather than leaving half the world area empty because you wanted to sell it as a "big game".
No, not Ubisoft's random event minimap icon spam either.
Any Forums loves hating Skyrim more than anything because it's full of women who can't separate their angst about the retards in charge of Bethesda from the actual product, but it got the balance better than anything else I've seen. There was variety in events and little things to find or big things to stumble across, some quests, lots of resources to gather mostly very light to carry, etc

If you actually didn't care about immersion you wouldn't even play video games. You would be into poker or something.

Video games are fundamentally an immersive hobby because almost the entire medium is about a computer program creating an illusion of something else.

the amount of times ive seen country boys squirm and piss themselves while walking around the city is too many to count. nothing more delusional than peasant fodder.

How are you this fucking triggered by a post on Any Forums? I mean seriously. You would be less miserable if you weren't so sensitive. I await your deflection because we both know you fear the truth.

>If you weren't from a city yourself you'd just go the fuck outside for this experience like I do

Bullshit, I've lived in the same countryside all my life. I love it here but I've also seen the surrounding area hundreds of times. Video games are great because you can go to places you could otherwise never visit.

Does anyone have that picture of some zoomer writing about how they felt like crying because they were on vacation with the family in the countryside and they couldn't stand how lonely and quiet it felt? Laughed my ass off at that.

Attached: 1647932146210.png (1646x1440, 1.77M)

>be on Holiday
>Greece
>good food
>great weather
>nice people
>slow internet

For me it's civilization.

Attached: 2Q==(266).jpg (1150x663, 146.7K)

there are thousands upon thousands of linear, mindless arcady games catering to your taste. Why the fuck do you have to bitch about the games that don't? It's not like anyone is forcing you to play open world games.

I live 10 miles from the nearest bus stop and convenience store and still got 25mbit Internet and getting fiber at the end of the year.

Sounds like a Greece problem.

I don't think the emptiness is the problem, it's the idea that a developer made a game open world for the sake of saying it's an open world game. With games like Death Stranding and SOTC, there's actual gameplay and lore reasons for the large landscapes with maybe a few creatures here and there.

But then you look at a game like Mafia 3 where there is absolutely zero point in that game being as big as it is, none of the main action happens in the over world and everything is confined to specific locations. So if it's gonna have that big world and none of the main action occurs in this world, you'd think there would be some kind of side activity, but no, the most you get are some cards you can collect. It's big and boring and wouldve been better with a stage/mission based system. (Not that it would've been good, just better.) And yes I know the first two had open worlds.

Attached: 6c1715d4321e2b9ac4d71dd5245de4db0205cc4d34a54067e122198e0a080888_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg (639x361, 25.61K)

do you sometimes just hold forward on an analog stick not plugged into anything and close your eyes for fun?
that's what you're arguing for.

have fun losing all your cargo or getting killed by BTs retard-kun

maximum comfy.

Attached: 20200825_172801.webm (1920x1080, 1.6M)

Wow what a clever argument, why not point out that video games are just about pressing buttons and watching different flashing lights happening on a screen while you're at it?

What else is there?

Look champ, the truth of the matter is, you and your entire generation have completely messed up dopamine receptors. If you can't play an open world game and just enjoy the scenery, the lighting and the act of traversing and exploring the environment, without having some quest marker or dynamic event happen every 10 steps, that is not something to be proud of. You lack the sense of wonder and curiosity that makes us human. You might as well be a rat strapped to one of those things where they get an elecrtic stimulation whenever they hit a button.

because real videogames have interesting decisions to make in them?
holding forward to walk through a map has no decision making.

Good thing both DS and SotC has those things when exploring their worlds then.

Most good open world games also have good traversal. Riding your horse in RDR2 for example feels great in and of itself and if you ride manually, there are plenty of decisions to make as to not ride your horse off a cliff. Plus it's not like anyone is advocating for a game that is only walking through an open world where nothing ever happens. People are simply saying that it is okay for a game to give the player some room to breathe. There is nothing more mind-numbingly boring than non-stop action. Excitement can only exist when you have contrast and build-up.