Should RPGs always lay all the numbers bare?

Should RPGs always lay all the numbers bare?
Or do you think obfuscating some things can help make a game feel more immersive?

Attached: 2.png (666x525, 14.64K)

Attached: fixed.png (634x350, 37.93K)

>Read immersive text
>Call developer a nigger for obfuscating numbers
>Google numbers

If they obscure them, then they should at least provide hints as to how much stats are changed. Like for example "improves intelligence slightly" for an increase of up to 5, then moderately, greatly, significantly or whatever other array of adjectives you wanna use.
Not something like "improves intelligence" on two items where one gives +1 while the other gives +20 or some shit like that. Cause then it just becomes some guessing or trial and error game.

Thanks doc

>Roguelikes/roguelites
Right the first time you obtain it, left the next time you obtain it.
>Any other game
Right when you pick it up, left in the item stats screen.

The flavor of the second one is nice, but having actual numbers helps more in terms of gameplay. Most people are going to want to know what the actual stat boost is and will either look it up somewhere or manually check the difference in their stat screen.

right text, but you can hold alt to see the numbers
>an enchanted necklace that increase's one's intellect when worn. (+1)

It is said that the necklace will protect the wearer in times of crisis. (When below 25% HP, increases defence score by 5)

fuck I missed it

Gimme both. The stats then the flavor

It's hard to imagine anyone really being appreciative of obscured stats, for as much as I love flavor. Chances are if you're playing an RPG, you're a stats autist anyway

this is the correct way

I actually never thought about this. Probably because most game devs are braindead and have no idea how to interact with people so they have no idea what they want

Stats autists are the worst. Right is better if the dev is competent and the player can trust the description to be mostly accurate.

>+ stat
should always be transparent, either as a description or you can visually see your stats number
>unique modifier
I actually like these vague descriptions, like rings from souls rtsr, pontiffs ring, etc. that just tell you how to use them

>immersive
doesn't help. the immersion has to do with the actual effects not how it's presented

I literally hate nothing more than item descriptions that say "increases X" without giving you any context about how much it changes something. How the fuck are you supposed to make any intelligent decisions if you can't tell what the effect actually is?

Don't really know the answer. But in TF2 the detailed description ruined the game. Like with this weapon. When there was no description, everyone perfectly understood what it does and how it is played. But now it's a wall of unnecessary text.

Attached: anu26nm6yb481.png (450x509, 52.85K)

It first came to mind for me when I heard about that Dark Souls 3 Cinders mod. Some people were praising it because it rewrote a lot of item descriptions to include the exact numbers. Considering the souls games expect you to trawl through item descriptions for little lore tidbits, it personally took me out of things to just see something like 'increases physical attack by 15%' stapled on.

>"increases STR"
>"increases STR of all team members"
>assume the one that only affects yourself gives a bigger boost
>it's the opposite
haha

Attached: 1658872626948376.png (1566x1438, 1.37M)

This. I'm tired of having to go to a wiki or painstakingly testing the numbers on an equipment.
Like I'm playing fire emblem three hopes now and I have two lances, one that has 195 attack and one that has 165, but the 165 one has an effect that "greatly increases damage when mounted". How the fuck am I supposed to know if it's better or worse than the 195 one for a mounted unit?

So long as it isn't "+5% damage on back attacks at night when wearing light armour" or junk like that. Minmaxing is for chuds.

This is actually a thing I despise in New Vegas. It's a game with great buildcrafting potential if you actually know the details on how the items and perks work, but the game barely tells you that information.

seeing the machinations of the game laid bare like statistics was acceptable due to the limitations of how the game could be constructed and presented. instead of having a game master like in tabletop games, in crpgs players had to gamemaster their own games with the information that the game gave to them. now you could easily have an AI do that for you while all you would be doing is playing the game.

Always right. Numbers autism is pointless unfun faggotry that kills immersion. Hmmm is 3 a bigger number than two this spreadsheet gameplay really makes me think.

Attached: 1657431354273.jpg (400x430, 63.15K)

Small brain.

~An enchanted necklace that increases one's intellect when worn (+1 Int)
~It is said the necklace will protect the wearer in times of crisis. (???)

>Trigger the defense buff when low health

~Protects the wearer in times of crisis. (When below 25% HP, increase defense by 5)