What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Attached: hl.jpg (1280x1024, 147.84K)

Other urls found in this thread:

london2038.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

op I don't know want game this is but HNNNNGH that faceless armored female!!! UOOOHHH EXPOSED MIDRIFF WHICH DOESNT HAVE ARMOR BUT EVERYTHING ELSE DOES UOOOHHH!!!

incompetence

there's a private server thing if you wanna play it today

Remember when it was going to be the WoW Killer?

It's the classic "let's make a singleplayer-MMO" trope.
Only, they actually advertised as it. And... it didn't have enough MMO features to cater to the MMO crowd. But in trying to bring those features in, they half-assed the other aspects of a Diablo-clone so it didn't please the Diablo fans either.

So you got a "meh" reception, and the game was sold to some Korean MMO publisher.
This is when it became HellGate: Global.
Maybe, I stopped playing a few months before this.
The one egregious thing about it that permanently killed it was Stonehenge.
You see, the game has that retarded mechanic where your damage (taken/inflicted) is modded my a multiplier based on your level versus the monter's level. But the scaling was retarded.
Your level +1? It's doable. Your level+2? Hope you enjoy 20 minute fights! And anything beyond that was unreasonable.
But if you fought monster lower than you, while much, MUCH faster to take down, they'd drop shit loot.
Enter the STONEHENGE expansion: an area where monsters are set to your current level!
Here's the catch: it's 15$ a month to acess it.
While I wouldn't call it "pay to win", it was close to it, and pissed of so many people, the game died in a couple months.

If you wanna try playing it nowadays:
london2038.com
London 2038 is an updated version with multiplayer servers maintained and cared by former fans and players. I highly advise it over playing the vannilla steam version.
They added a lot of fixes and quality of life to it.

I really enjoyed this game as a teen. What's wrong with it?

Cinematics were bad. Templars walking around with swords out and waving them around like they are silly. The main hero guy that was leading them dies. Princess Leia last resort story from Star Wars is chosen as the main story and the girl they raising as the princess becomes the next Templar leader. For the 5 chapters of the game, they use a floating book that turns the pages 5 times. Nothing else happens beyond the book having 5 pictures , one for each chapter, and a voice narration. Kinda cool 3D book but there was nothing in it.
The ending cinematic, I won’t spoil it for you, was also pretty bad and pretty much a letdown.
The end boss did have some sort of interesting boss mechanics that reminds you of Remnant from the Ashes game, or Dark Souls.
That’s the main issue, not the cinematics. I just talked about those because it was funny and on my mind first. The game was mostly a good first person pseudo-shooter with half action and physics. But they could do a Hellgate 2 and give us the real deal since Remnant and Dark Souls exists to give them ideas what we actually want.
Offline SP with coop over LAN first person shooter with action and physics and less RPG stuff, with online direct connect. I didn’t need the MMO server. Needs less cringe characters and make story less focus on girls and womens and silly men in power armor. Power armor is fun but in the game you don’t feel any heavier and there’s no physics or anything just numbers. The heavier swords do have more interrupt though so they tried to make it like dark souls by forcing it through make-believe.
Didn’t like how you needed tons of accuracy to use the bomb guns as guardian but oh well, I guess all I needed was one anyways. Engineer lets you make-believe build your own Bionicle bot once you get high enough.

Attached: C055E1B4-EE69-459F-ABC3-DE29C23BCC8F.jpg (1920x1080, 465.37K)

It was buggy piece of shit that crashed all the fucking time.

Nah, I didn’t like your interpretation of the game, because none of this is relevant to history and humanities. Just sounds like the actual Hellgate the game was talking about.

I prefer that everyone go to freeware internet distribution sites and find The Original Hellgate London on historical archives and play the original CD-Rom game with the offline single player client.

It is not a bad pseudo-first person shooter, even if most of it is makebelieve and it makes a nice 3-4 day game. You can actually just rush the final boss if people just stick to the main quests which are represented by purple colors above the NPCs.

I do agree that there was too much MMO stuff.

Attached: 1010EF03-689F-4D56-B137-D72F63B762AA.jpg (750x750, 37.67K)

I played through twice recently. Once on the updated patched version, and again without it as Engineer and Guardian. The patched version crashed. The cd-rom version didn’t.
The DX9 version both times.
So I suspect the patchers.

>Cinematics were bad

Attached: hellgate london ass.webm (1080x720, 754.08K)

>Nah, I didn’t like your interpretation of the game, because none of this is relevant to history and humanities.
??? Wut
>the original CD-Rom game
Well, if you manage to get your hands on the original CD, yeah, it's a nice game. I got the original with me, bought it at launch day.
But if you go to steam and buy it there, you get the Korean version, loaded with MMO crap.
And neither the Korean nor the CD version have working multiplayer nowadays.
If you wanted to play with a friend, your best bet is London 2038.

This version user linked just works

>The cd-rom version didn’t.
Bull-fucking-shit. The game notoriously crashed all the time and it was especially irritating it did that because the game was very selective about when saving happened so every time it did crash you could potentially lose a significant amount of progress. This was a very well known major problem with the game.

Like I said, this was my experiences with the game. Windows 10, offline SP. no online.

London 2038 Steam version is probably always online with the SP version gutted.

You're a liar.

Get lost mmo onlyist glowy troll.

>London 2038
>Steam version
These are two different things you mongoloid

>he thinks we are impressed

Attached: D28ADE5C-BDCF-4277-BB3E-AA6252B8CD20.jpg (639x360, 50.98K)

Don’t care, Steam are nazies and MMO rehashes are for the wrong crowd.
>muh mmo onlyism

The game crashed on AMD GPU's a lot.
You could find some blogs at the time discussing this: a few games from that era were made specifically for certain GPU brands (AMD isn't innocent either).
You could, theoretically, run the game on different GPU than it was developed for, but you either turned down your graphics options (making the game look like ass) or dealt with crashes every time the game spawned too many particles, or the volumetric fog had to calculate light levels.
One of the reasons I believe this is because it crashes harder for Engineers and marksman (some of their skills cause a lot more particles to appear) and on certain GPU's, every time you hit a red barrel and it explodes, your framerate tanks.

There's fucking nothing mmo about the game though, you can play with other people if you feel like it

It's an MMO the same way Diablo 2 is an MMO:
you can join a multiplayer server, partner with other players in 2-6 man teams, and run levels with them. That's about it.

Good game too bad no one is creating games like this anymore, everyone are preoccupied with gay shit

Oh ok well I’m that case it was played on a 1080 GTX and a 1060 GTX on two different PCs running win 10. I don’t buy AMDs. The DX10 version might crash, didn’t try it because it originally launched on dx9 but they added support for 10 later is what I heard.
Except for needing account with them so they can sell your email to Koreans?