Why is city buildering a dead genre?

Why is city buildering a dead genre?
City Skylines tried but it was far too basic.

Attached: Breezewood,_Pennsylvania.jpg (2272x1098, 572.06K)

Huh? Cities skylines is far more advanced than any city builder. I could spend hours setting up traffic lights to optimize my traffic.

Where would you pit stop in this pic Any Forums?

Probably Perkins. I like trying rando trucker restaurants.

>No McDonald's
soulless

I don't know why people call this burgerpunk
we have this here in yurop too
big streets just right outside a city with tank stations and big chain stores

>old Taco Bell logo
No. Soul

It isn't, you just made this thread to obsess over Americans

actually my country spends even more (as a percent of GDP) on private vehicle infrastructure.

Attached: 1658105139832339.jpg (828x984, 121.84K)

Am I the only one who finds it oddly soulful? That feeling of being on a road trip, it's dark out, you pull into a town like this and get some chicken nuggies. Some uneasiness because of the sketchiness of these types of truck stops but the lights from the stores still light up the street. Head goes back under the blanket and you fall asleep until you finally get back home

Why do these keep getting posted? They're truck stops between highways in the middle of nowhere purely designed for truckers and people on road trips to stop and eat and get gas, they're not to meant to pretty, but functional

I'm going into Sheetz, buying food and snackies.

Thats with mods. The game is really barebones in. some aspects. They couldnt even be bothered to add more than like six industry building names. Every second building is Franks Fish stick Factory. Shit like this really grinds my gears

what if we could give trucks steel wheels and put them on rails
and then link them all up
would that not be more efficient

Workers and Resources: Soviet Republic is pretty cool, a little janky and pretty autistic but its satisfying when things start working the way you want

it's crazy to me that everyone actually drive cars
I'd rather everyone carry a gun on them at all times

Attached: ptgqq6ybafd91.jpg (1078x699, 89.99K)

that would defeat the military strategy that these interstate systems were designed for

So...? The game has far more depth with every single car and pedestrian being an object that moves around.

I'm sure that the military would be better off with the 1 trillion dollars we spend on road maintenance every year

>I hate cars! they should just ban cars from every city
>where the fuck is my uber driver/amazon delivery??? it's been 5 minutes!

CSL could benefit from an SC4-style Industrial Outbuildings system, although most people wouldn't appreciate it. Even in SC4, very few people know how to do industrial zoning without the standard/automatically generated street network, which prohibits outbuilding generation. Also, very few SC4 players realize that Industrial zones can be any arbitrary size and still work, I've literally done an entire 256x256 tile of just industry. The only limiting factor is fire dept access and having 4-5 squares for a subway station and freight train exit.

Anyway I mention this because: with such huge zones proper Outbuildings can develop which allows for much more Industrial lot variety and super huge heavy industry that most players don't ever see.

If you look at city builder-adjacent indies from the last five years or so it's basically been split into colony sims for the management enjoyers and meditative puzzle games for the chill enjoyers.

Although there's another issue here: in CSL Industrial buildings can't load directly onto trains, they must deliver by truck and use a train terminal which is a PITA to set up. SC4 has similar functionality but eh it's more of a niche object for special situations like islands or industry that can't get a rail connection for some reason (which it should, since rail is objectively better than road).

Another minor issue I have: CSL's ships are tiny compared to their real life equivalents. SC4 got this correct why shouldn't CSL?

Last time I drove through Breezewood, that brick building was on fire.

Seems kinda silly that industrial areas can just load it directly onto train tracks instead of a station.

More depth compared to what? Most City Builders nowadays have agents. Simcity also had them. It also was a better game, if only the size limit wasn‘t so small.

Would you rather a nation-wide network of roads that basically functions or three new ways for f22s to break down on the runway.

healthcare

Why would I want to build a soulless square american city why highways through every street

I played that SimCity and it wasn't nearly as good as City Skylines, both without mods. City Skylines with mods BTFOs any city builder.

Sorry user, that's a myth. I saw it making the rounds again this week with some silly viral post so I understand your confusion.

I wish there was a city builder where its actually amusing to watch citizens go around and do shit

I've never used uber and I just pick up my amazon stuff from amazon lockers
humans are born with these amazing things called legs, two of them in fact!

Attached: 1641525730578.jpg (713x1024, 207.05K)

It's a niche genre and hard to balance serious simulator autism against casual appeal.
Plus you can't just crap out a sim game in Unreal or Unity

It was never an "alive" genre. I bet you could name all city building games without mentioning jackie chan

Next time there's a steam demo event check the city builder tags. I guarantee you you can crap out bad sim game in unity.

It's more realistic that way and allows for more complex rail operations. It makes rail far more competitive over trucks because you can just connect it via rail and have lots of cargo be delivered without jamming up. Which is CSL's actual problem in that rail congestion is not handled well and there is no easy fixes for it due to how intercity trains are generated/dispatched.

I could probably mod a solution in but eh. CSL RRs need to be more than 2 lanes with 1 lane each direction, the game should allow as many rail lanes as they do cars. This would solve the train congestion problem by allowing more slots for trains to be generated, and permit them to be easily dispatched to their destination through signalling/control points like a real railroad. It'd also be useful to assign trains priority on a scale of say 1-10; power plant trains would be #1 followed by intercity freight trains, intercity passenger trains and then local commuter and freight trains.

This is a lot of work for what should ultimately not be a problem because CSL requires the player to use the preset city connections. This is the bigger problem that all of this ultimately represents.

Because here it's ubiquitous.