Would you agree that Japan handles LGBT characters better than the US and other Western countries?

Would you agree that Japan handles LGBT characters better than the US and other Western countries?

Attached: Sylvia.png (360x360, 173.23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/rDPUB-AkOto
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

yes because they are pagan like the greeks and romans (alexander the great was genuinely great despite not being straight)

i liked that homobro in valkyria chronicles, he was cool

Attached: v2290645f_b.jpg (970x1024, 177.82K)

i think japan is unafraid to make good characters that happen to be gay/black/white/whatever other tokenism

Gay Tony is probably the best gay character the West has ever made.

Attached: image.png (640x867, 811.93K)

There is no such thing as "LGBT". Actual gay people hate trannies and other modern progressive bullshit being pushed in the mainstream.

That being said, yes Japan gives us better gay characters because Japan still sees gay people as mere people who happen to be gay rather than the West who wants to trample over actual gay people and replace them with their personal virtue signals.

What is stopping the US from doing the same, you think?

Japan includes and writes gay characters more organically rather than to hit social quotas or to push agendas, so yes.

people in the united states that work in any entertainment industry have no connection with the real world and are therefore unable to write or create anything that normal people who live in the real world are able to connect to

Wait.
he was GAY?

simple, they don't know how to make good characters in general and it just makes the gay/black/token others look much worse than they really do

I didn't mind Arcade Gannon

Damn, you hit the nail directly on the head.
>simple, they don't know how to make good characters in general
True as well.

Yyyep. Him and Erik.

No, OP is obviously pulling your leg.

You can choose to marry him, even

People in the US don't see gay people as actual people, they just see them as something to parade around and virtue signal about. Americans are homophobic and offensive even when they try to be "inclusive".

You can also marry Erik and Rab

Sylvando isn't gay.

I’m pretty sure they never explicitly stated he’s gay, he’s just super flamboyant and effeminate and probably also gay

I didn’t even know he was gay until years after playing the game

Kind of funny how people whine about Japanese culture and their depictions of certain characters, but they almost always make the best depictions of minority characters since they genuinely just want to make them likeable and not some toek piece for social commentary.

living with isn't marriage. by that logic you can also marry grandpa rab.

Yes. They're mostly played for laughs or for fanservice

Bingo.

Sylvando is queer coded but doesn't actually do anything gay in the game

Sylvando isn't even *actually* gay. He's flamboyant and all the gay clichés, but at no point in the story does he express any kind of attraction to men.
I wouldn't compare him with characters actually unabashedly stated to be gay.

Because in the West a character that is a minority has to be representative of all members of that minority, so they have to walk on eggshells when designing them.

>queer
Look, you may think he's strange, but not all strange people are homosexual.

Sylvando isn't LGBT because he doesn't identify as LGBT. He literally has to say he likes men or that he's gay or trans for it to be representation, otherwhise he's just flamboyant.
Jann is also not LGBT, he's just your average Any Forums poster mirin Largo's muscles.

He has a jacked sailor "friend" davé and he shows up in act 2 with a troupe of twinks. Idk bro.

its so obvious honey

Attached: SLYVVV.png (1920x1080, 3.5M)

>but they almost always make the best depictions of minority characters since they genuinely just want to make them likeable and not some toek piece for social commentary.
it's fucking funny that the xenophobic, ultra traditional japanese are able to make good minority characters and the actual minorities can't

Yes because they are characters first and homosexual second, while still being identifiable as such. In the west many homo characters are either constantly obsessed with their sexuality OR they're completely normal people who slide in a small "btw I'm gay ;)" line somewhere. Instead Sylvando is a huge flaming faggot but never makes a deal about it either, he's a good character with and without his homosexual traits, while also enhancing them with his extremely flamboyant attitude.

I wouldn't be surprised if some western journalist called him a "harmful stereotype" or something, when he's the exact opposite.

>the guy who acts stereotypically gay is gay?

I just thought he liked making people happy, hence the circus act...

>the actual minorities can't
The actual minorities aren't even allowed to try. American media is entirely nepotistic and entirely run and made by straight jews.

? Sylvando just hates manhood manly machos like his father, hes not gay tho

>he's just your average Any Forums poster mirin Largo's muscles
totally, looking thick solid tight bro but no homo

Because the japanese, both out of naivete but also earnest respect, value the identity of other cultures and countries instead of making them mystery meat goyslaves with nothing unique about them.

He's a gay done right. Likeable, funny, entertaining. Tons of heart. Probably the best character in the game too.
Gay characters in the West are the total opposite.

They call him fucking "onee-san" and "Sylvia" in the japanese version.

>The actual minorities aren't even allowed to try.
i only half believe you

Attached: IMG_2115.jpg (1024x768, 134.91K)

you just don't get male bonding Dave is a bro through and through

Literally the exact opposite of bloggers think about Japan, but hey, they're bloggers.

Because traditionally, when you see or meet somebody who goes against the grain you just go "huh, that's an interesting fella" and you move on. ONLY modern western countries need to make it into an identity. ONLY modern western countries obsess over it. ONLY modern western countries blow it out of proportion and un-normalize it by constantly pointing it out and talking about it as if it's important.

I like dudes, but to me liking dudes over women has about as much impact as liking brussel sprouts over broccoli. It shouldn't be a big deal to you, me or anybody else. And the more of a big deal you make about it the less comfortable you make me. They'll never understand this lesson though because they're addicted to the smell of their own farts.

Sylvando isn’t gay. When did he ever imply he was trying to fuck men? Stop making every character you relate to gay in your head. Just because your a faggot doesn’t mean every well written character is. This is why society hates you.

Attached: AE73FD60-4BD5-4F14-B478-5CEEECD767C0.gif (498x498, 552.03K)

Best post itt, you nailed it with Sylvia being actually enhanced with his flamboyant behaviour, instead of it being used to virtue signal.

Attached: 1653587001852.gif (498x498, 586.22K)

>the 7/11 dude here in Tokio once said he dislikes smelly koreans, Japan is sooo hateful :(

Literally all you have to do is give them more of a personality than "I'm gay". I can't stand okama characters in japanese shit because of the same thing, so it's worse when westerners then hold them up as some good trans/ lgbt characters. Pic related was a surprising subversion when he calmed the fact down from being his flaming lolgay music mode into his man mode. Game was fucking garbage and I still hate Liam O'Brien
Curtis and the server guy from Phantasmogoria 2: a puzzle of flesh is probably the only time a western gay couple has ever had a impact on me. Felt really bad at that death.

Attached: Mysterious.jpg (450x675, 96.51K)

Come on, now.
youtu.be/rDPUB-AkOto

>I can't stand okama characters in japanese shit because of the same thing, so it's worse when westerners then hold them up as some good trans/ lgbt characters.
We like them not because they're well written, but because they're sometimes pretty funny and entertaining. I don't give a shit about "fair representation" of homos.

well said, also why pic related works as a gay character

Attached: Screenshot 2022-07-25 at 20-49-57 kim kitsuragi - Google Search.png (368x512, 286.3K)

>ONLY modern western countries obsess over it.
well they're not allowed to obsess over anything else because that would be evil dumb and bigoted and also not backed by science(tm)

but more on the thread topic, i do wish more people would try to make their token characters more likeable. it can't possibly be that difficult