Comprehensive Topics

Here's an attempt at covering a variety of designs, genres, critiques, and fundamentals. Feel free to post, express yourself, and help categorize the discussion. A few archetypes of games and listed some examples are already written; there should be a point where it's wondered if more types of games are relevant, but that should be about whether the game is a must play. Try to keep the thread organized; stay on topic.

Attached: RB Logos.png (674x330, 436.37K)

>Casual.
I'm starting with this because it's my least specific genre. I only had 1 example. Steam lists Spider-Man Remastered and Cities Skylines, the former of which doesn't fit, and the latter of which should have some category(?) -- The Sims is another. Honestly, I don't think Cities Skylines should be included in must plays; city builders plausibly should. They're really unique in the early-gaming design:get-upgrades:reach-goal gameplay, similar to RollerCoaster Tycoon; the fantasy is really fun; and economy is a most cohesive design in games. They could use invasion multiplayer a la RTS or character action.

Stardew Valley

Attached: 994.png (283x918, 310.1K)

c-c-c-combo breaker!!

>Adventure SP
There's another, similar category called Sandboxes, and it's a mystery what the difference is because sandbox isn't a well-defined genre. Some would suggest non-linearity; but most games have a linear storyline, and simply having side missions shouldn't be considered a sandbox. I have a really specific definition that would focus on innovation and dynamism; more on that in the next post.

Character / vehicle action has specifics that should exist at this juncture. Multi-button combos and rewards to longer strings is an example. For vehicle gameplay, physics should be central: the traction circle for in gravity and on roads, or Newtonian for space.

Here are some games to consider:
Mass Effect
Dragon Age
Assassin's Creed
The Outer Worlds
God of War
Ghost of Tsushima
DaS
Nier Automata
Nioh
BB
Sekiro
Elden Ring

Attached: 2345532.jpg (1000x683, 108.28K)

>I'm starting with this because it's my least specific genre
That's because it's not a genre, it's a target demographic. Any genre can be made to fit casual (in theory).

How is Adventure and Sandbox similar? They're about as far apart as one can get. Adventure focuses on story and exploration. Sandbox focuses on toy-like interactive mechanics.

>Sandbox.
The specific I would highlight as the difference between a linear game and a sandbox is losing and replacing items; ammo doesn't count as an absolute definer. I would further the definition to include "variety of activities that lead to status" because you could have a game with a lot of gameplay options that aren't conducive to the character or world. What's the difference between a game with multiple gamemodes from a menu, and them being accessible by going to a location: an open world? Is a game where you can go around and try different vehicles, shoot pedestrians, and cause explosions very sandboxy? It's not much more so if there exists golfing, yoga, and tennis. Is GTA less of a sandbox when you can't lose equipment because you got girlfriends at the hospital and police department, or when they don't actually arrest you and take your items? Is GTA V a sandbox because it has a stock market? So, small losses and gains of money (amongst a few creative options) is enough to make it so?

Rate:
GTA V
Cyberpunk 2077
RDR II
The Witcher 3
Fallout 4
TLOZ: BOTW
Skyrim
Terraria

Attached: P&Y character.png (70x124, 21.7K)

>MOBAs.
Some of these games get over 10M collective hours daily. I would say they're not worth how much attention and play they get; the top two have short team fights, about 4 abilities with CDs per character, are top-down and click-to-move, and are strategically shallow, leading to small intensity for a crowd and to overexaggeration in casting.

League of Legends
DOTA 2
HOTS
Smite

Attached: OIP[1].jpg (474x214, 21.77K)

*BRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPP*

Attached: 1650244185557.webm (720x720, 727.37K)

Nigga, no one gonna read that basic bitch shit

Attached: 1640857069917.webm (480x480, 2.31M)

This is now a bat thread

Attached: 1650251175726.webm (854x480, 2.56M)

it was already a bad thread

What the fuck do you mean "covering"? You want to just sit around describing fundamental bits of gameplay and genres? What good does that serve?

what did OP mean by this?

Attached: 1638471748136.jpg (720x480, 45.75K)

>BRs.
This genre has a few main problems: Lobby games are repetitive. Randomized spread reduces skillfulness and lengthens fights, allowing other characters to more affect what should be quick and concise interaction; it should be centered -- aiming a small reticule is more spatially requisite. Recoil is often laser-esque; it should be deterministic and responsive to movement. Mobility in shooters is important, and most titles are still slowed-ADS and little tech: APEX nerfed bunnyhopping and tap-strafing; Fortnite has a grenade that can be found, some environmental items, obtainable vehicles, and buildable height. A really innovative, rare implementation in shooters are dodges. Versus more parabolic systems such as Black Ops 3 and Titanfall, being able to quickly move the character in a direction or two (CoD: Advanced Warfare) increases 1v1 intensity and spontaneity.

APEX
Fortnite
PUBG

Attached: maxresdefault[1].jpg (1280x720, 173.09K)

you will like csgo then

>Small-Maps Shooters.
I want to specify mobility as really fun; Destiny 2 uses height better than the usual Call of Duty; and a lot can be said about CS: GO and Valorant, how controls and aiming should be intuitive and realistic (because that's how prediction and rewards are) and interactive (because stimulation is correlative with variety, depth, strategy, and intensity). Star Wars: Battlefront II Classic uses classes to define ranges and options while utilizing a roll to vary a character's size, location, and speed.

Destiny 2
Call of Duty
Battlefield
CS: GO
Valorant

Go-to:
Star Wars: Battlefront II Classic
CoD: Advanced Warfare

Attached: R[1].jpg (1280x720, 216.44K)

Nobody gives a single genuine fuck about your opinion, or is reading it. Try Reddit or Tumblr where somebody might care, even pat you on the back for your self-rambling trash. Attention-seeking mongoloid.

>MMOs.
The obvious subcategories are theme park and sandbox; the former has a problem with lasting playability because, instead of correlating all the activities to provide the most options for defining the character and the world, it usually limits activity relevance to a few minutes per day, a few slots of crafting equipment per character, low drop rates, and time gated chances at drops; the latter should cohere options to provide choice amongst gathering, crafting, trading, world PvE, and world PvP because character relevance is economical. As previously mentioned, losing and gaining items is the standard for a sandbox; replacing levels is simple (for fairness, roles, and variety:depth) via equipment -- it's possible giving characters as much power as they want because it's only kept via skillfulness, providing increased size, mobility, and abilities, rivaling comics.

EVE
WoW
Lost ARK
FFXIV
RS
Albion Online
New World
ESO
BDO
Star Trek Online
SW: TOR
DCUO

Attached: EVE - Ranged Gameplay.webm (640x360, 998.33K)

Nobody cares.
Not bumping either - enjoy your trip to page 10.

Soulslike will never be a real genre
Metroidvania will never be a real genre

Attached: 1655430414087.webm (540x550, 516.94K)

>[Mediocre Critiques].
Community (happy players are behavioral; unconditional acceptance, deemed "love", is what we have as an example of encompassing positivity)
To gatekeep (banning is stupid -- they paid for the game; TOS isn't an excuse for garbage rules; moderation is as simple as filters and muting)
Open world (persistence is correlative with strategy)
"Games, especially AAA, can't afford to take risks" (a few developers could produce a couple of characters, items, areas, and activities per day, having an MMO of content in 1 month; content generators are simple)
From subjectivity (physiology is near, if not, 100% similar, coming from the same starter cells, amongst the same mathematical propagation, to the same systems)
Unto that the purpose of a game is to ellicit an emotional reaction
From (a made up) least common denominator
From that gameplay has all already been done
From that gameplay is solved, meta, affected by wiki and online interactions
Procedural generation
"A likelihood of a video game crash"

>[Relevant Critiques].
Linearity
RNG
Movie games with shallow gameplay
Not including multiplayer
Copyright should be 10 years
Piracy is theft
Physical exclusivity platforms are irrelevant

--

That's all I have for now.

>Copyright should be 10 years
>Piracy is theft
so is piracy still theft after 10 years?

That's a figurative topic.