Stray is advertised s a platformer

>no dedicated jump button
>in a platformer
>where you play as animal whose entire physiology is based around IRL platforming

damn, seemed like a cool concept but I guess the devs couldnt be bothered to make a good 3D platformer.

Attached: download (6).jpg (300x168, 6.86K)

Now I want to play a cat game with Mirror's Edge gameplay. Shit, I'd play any game with Mirror's Edge gameplay.

Now I want to play a mirror with Stray gameplay

There is a lot of jumping. Show me a definition that requires platformers to have fail states.

You like button prompts that take all the player freedom out of jumping from one place to another? Can you imagine if pic related played like stray?

Attached: maxresdefault (4).jpg (1280x720, 117.23K)

Would work if you played a mirror zoomer

My definition of good game design for one.

filtered

Attached: lol.gif (600x463, 1.23M)

Don't you mean boomer?

I thought it'd be unintuitive but it works for cat platforming since they don't really fuck up jumps like we would, plus the prompts and the jumps are smooth enough that it doesn't feel awkward. It's honestly a really comfy game, there's a lot of puzzles and exploration and it makes my depression less prevalent.

Just stop being an autistic nintenzoomie contrarian.

Attached: 20220720035657_1.jpg (3840x2160, 1.18M)

if you can't fail at walking like Death Stranding is it not a walking sim?

Free jumping would break the game way too hard
It could possibly even be a detriment since people would get stuck in places thinking they could jump anywhere then complain there are specific paths to follow

Nope. Zoom zoom user.
One day you'll be old enough to understand the references here, don't worry.

That's why, in general, the movement mechanics of games and the levels are designed in tandem with one another. But like I said, the devs just couldnt be arsed.

Attached: Untitled.png (1893x878, 27.15K)

You could theoretically say most jumps on Ocarina of Time and games like Harry Potter are magnetic and scripted in a way, yet they're not bad games by any definition. You're just being autistic.

what did they mean by this?
>similar to layers of fear

Attached: 1648428228743.png (911x169, 97.1K)

Why do people keep saying Mirror's Edge? A cat platformer should be third-person, so you can, you know, see the cat.

Because that's the only good 3D platforming game.

>You're just being autistic.
And no one can stop me either.

Attached: you.jpg (300x250, 16.08K)

>Show me a definition that requires video games to have fail states.

>the movement mechanics of games and the levels are designed in tandem with one another
But that's exactly the case with this game.
All the platforming was designed with the auto-jumping in mind

seething

designed to be shitty

That's a (you) problem, not the game.

both games are walking sims

>he thinks there's an objectively correct way to design a game
>he thinks every game needs to cater to his taste
Only a low IQ chud would think like this.

Attached: 1658304884835.jpg (957x931, 275.31K)

But in OOT you can jump in the wrong direction, missing the next platform and falling down. This can be either unintentional or intentional on your part. And you can take fall damage.

>in a platformer
It's an adventure game, not a platformer you nonce

>expecting deep gameplay mechanics from an Annapurna game.

BLINX BROS...WE CANNOT STOP WINNING...
XBOX CHADS CELEBRATE!
BLINX IS STILL EXCLUSIVE BTFO

Attached: Blinx_2_-_Masters_of_Time_and_Space_Coverart.png (256x363, 210.78K)

>A platform game (often simplified as platformer and sometimes called a jump 'n' run game) is a sub-genre of action video games in which the core objective is to move the player character between points in an environment. Platform games are characterized by levels consisting of uneven terrain and suspended platforms of varying height that require jumping and climbing to traverse. Other acrobatic maneuvers may factor into the gameplay, such as swinging from vines or grappling hooks, jumping off walls, air dashing, gliding through the air, being shot from cannons, or bouncing from springboards or trampolines.[1] Games where jumping is automated completely, such as 3D games in The Legend of Zelda series, fall outside of the genre.

So this is a bit muddy. There are button prompts so the jumps involve user input but it really can be argued either way.

The king will never fall

>Show me a definition that requires video games to have fail states.
I think you shot this one out a little too confidently user.

>>he thinks there's an objectively correct way to design a game
There is and it's called Dark Souls 2