Do you like grinding, yes or no?

Do you like grinding, yes or no?

Attached: jp.900x.jpg (900x620, 228.91K)

Fuck no. Side quests should be the way to level up before continuing onto the main shit.

No I don't. That being said, I beat the original Famicom version of DQ1. And as the only person on this board to actually play the damn games instead of praising them just because you are too cool for Final Fantasy, DQ1 is a fucking long game. It's not 6 hours long like everyone says, it's somewhere around 16, 15 of which is just grindind. Endless grinding.

DQ1 is short in the sense that it doesn't have lots of content, but it's long in the sense that it has lots of grinding (most of the game).

There are grinding mechanics that seem very innocuous and fun to do, the problem with grinding is when it's extremely repetitive and boring, like the constant same random battles were you just press A to win.

It's always better if the RPG has no grinding or at least something to help the grind in a different way other than just battles, now if we are talking about grinding for powerful items, yeah it good, you should earn that powerful item and not just be handed to you.

Attached: FMNgzWiXsAgCWPY.jpg (2048x1479, 661.1K)

>grinding for levels or class progression
I like
>grinding for overpriced gear
I dislike
simple as

grind is shit. people that play stuff like jrpg, mmorpg and other types of games with a lot of grinding are literal npcs.

Definitely not. If you have to grind at any point it's bad game design

user, the original Japanese version of DQ1 had a password system that let you skip most of the grinding.

So, like a cheat code?

Kind of? The original cart didn't have save files. You got a password from the king and used it to continue the game. Thus, if you knew how to rig the password system, you could potentially do stuff like start with a large sum of money, your level maxed out, etc.

I played the gbc ports, what are the differences?

Ordinarily, fuck no. But, grindin games are good for when you're also watching a movie, or show

This is why i keep saying we should get a BOTW style remake of DQ1. There's not a whole lot to the world, but there COULD be.

That said this was a problem with a lot of very early NES RPGs. Mother has some of the worst grinding I've ever seen.

Honestly if you don't use cheats to max money in a JRPG i don't know wtf you're doing.

I don't remember ever having to grind in a DQ game

the remakes give you double the money and double the exp, it's what everyone recommends and what everyone plays. that one is indeed 6 hours. also btw dq1 is a masterpiece

>also btw dq1 is a masterpiece
I wouldn't go that far. It's a good baby's first JRPG for 1986, but it's extremely feature-poor compared to its PC contemporaries.

No, but it's not terrible in DQ1. The game is bite sized and you'll only have like 3 grind sessions in the whole game. Although the worst part is the xp pacing. You get towards that abandoned village and every enemy there is so hard, but barely gives you more xp than the easier ones from the zone prior.

Grinding always sucks, but I've started to appreciate learning to minmax my grinding in these old rpgs. Trying to do them in the most efficient manner possible. That said, once consoles improved, the good rpgs stopped having you grind, while DQ just never evolved and stayed a shitty grindfest.

>was a problem with a lot of very early NES RPG
That's the only time its acceptable. Old rpgs couldn't be massive games due to stuff like cart size. Grinding was a way to make a game last more then a day. Grinding now is unacceptable.

Even in Crystal Project which just came out last year I was a the final boss with a max level party and I was like "hm. to buy all the stuff and fill out the archive i need.......3000 gold. and the battle that drops the most drops...5. Time for cheat engine"

No. I was really fucking tempted to drop 8 (the first DQ game I played) when it turned out I needed to grind for the first boss in the game less than 30 minutes in. Ended up dropping it later out of boredom anyway.