This blew boomers minds in 2003

>This blew boomers minds in 2003

Attached: c900ef_cbb4312c0fd642c49b6d4ef9cebc7712.jpg (1000x563, 151.97K)

Other urls found in this thread:

destructoid.com/fumito-ueda-next-game-teaser-art/
youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=fGnce-FyrMc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It still blows my mind in 2022. We don't get games like this anymore.

yeah, that game was fuckin awesome

>we will never get the cut colossi in our lifetime
Ah fuck I can't believe you've done this

Attached: ColossusGiantSpider.png (1455x1008, 3.3M)

I’ve beaten this game a couple of times a long time ago and I tried the PS4 remake recently since it was released on ps+.
I’m really bored with it, I don’t think I can finish. It’s not as impressive as it used to be even with modern graphics.

To think an unfinished game was already this good

Attached: PheonixPheasantColossus.jpg (640x480, 39.09K)

>literally just make a game that's 16 giant ass boss fights
You could never get away with this in the modern age, what a shame.

The bosses would have to drop loot

>This blows zoombers minds in 2022

Attached: url(23).jpg (640x480, 43.2K)

>good game is also good in development
what a profound statement

Didn't furi do that with even less?

Zoomers were 50+ years old in 2003, dumbass

Games like what?

Attached: RocColossus1.jpg (640x480, 41.9K)

this game was so fucking ambitious and cool. i spent hours and hours just exploring the world and finding cool stuff and theorizing about things with my friends irl and online. it's such a richly designed and fleshed out world that you don't even need to see but like 20% of to clear the game.

sorry, but nothing will ever top the feeling of "i have to fight THAT fucking thing?" that this game instills in you.

The last boss is so disappointing, completely antithetical to the rest of them.

Not every game that ended up good was good in development

Attached: RocColossuspic2.jpg (640x480, 38.4K)

why?

It's called Shadow of the Colossus.

It's stuck in the ground.

I thought he was fine, the location and scale of him make him seem like the "last guy" waiting for you.

Attached: WarthogSiriusColossus.jpg (640x480, 86.9K)

>The voice acting
>The sense of scale
>The feeling of weight and motion in every action
>The music
>The mystery walking into it blind
>The ending
Literally the only game that comes to mind when I think 10/10 vidya

Attached: 1262517155530.jpg (800x599, 84.01K)

The game was fantastic, but no, even at the time that view wasn't anything special or impressive.

And why is that antithetical to the rest of the colossi?

The game is shallow. Typical Japanese empty open world game. I’m looking at it from modern lenses which is pretty fuckin stupid, but there isn’t a whole lot to it. The bosses are not fun to find, and easy to figure out how to kill. It’s a game of its time and definitely artistically aestheticly pleasing, but the game play dosent hold up in 2022.
Thanks for reading my blog

So?

Attached: 1256081924322.jpg (1024x640, 93.43K)

>this blew zoomers minds in 2017

Attached: 1642846970009.png (637x358, 245K)

Because they have huge areas to battle them and you feel like you're actually hunting colossal creatures, it's a totally unique experience. The last one is like a mario level.

It was a different time

The difference between ER and SotC is SotC doesn't egg you on to go somewhere with the false promise of something in return. You go to a location in SotC knowing damn well you just want to explore and figure out something about the world

Attached: ColossusLeech.jpg (640x480, 64.44K)

>The game is shallow
not reading the rest of your garbage post. go the fuck back to your freemium "it's free bro! updates are free! infinite content!" soiboi garbage you fucking subhuman.

Games like SotC have this sense of awe and wonder to them, the kind of game that has the AAA budget behind it but with an almost indie-like sense of creativity.

It's a game that even though what you do is pretty straight forward, there is so much detail and scale to the world that it feels like a really lived-in place.

Immediately springing to mind is the field just before you unlock the gate for the final colossus. If you take the time, there is an immense amount of ground to cover and essentially all of it is optional.

"Games like this" are ones where big budgets, immense creativity, and passion not restricted by focuses on mass appeal and the lowest common denominator.

There are still games that occasionally come out like SotC, but not as many as one may hope.

Attached: GriffinColossus.jpg (640x480, 57.09K)

I don't think SotC is "art" like some hipster fucks try to claim, but it is an excellent example of how good games could actually be. I can't think of a single game in the last 2 generations that are as interesting and thrilling and magical as SotC.

Lol fuck you too nigger

Too much obsession with gameplay and grinding elements over coherent art style, creativity and narrative I think

Attached: DevilColossus.jpg (640x480, 48.56K)

I'd actually argue the complete opposite, I think it makes the game even better. You're right that you're "hunting" them, but that act is supposed to make you feel like you're essentially slaughtering (mostly) docile colossi who want nothing to do with you.

The last colossus on the other hand is completely rooted into the ground, and being the last stand and the last colossus, there is no turning back and there is no solution left other than to fight.

It IS far more linear, but it's almost like the glitz and glamor of being in those more open areas is stripped away, as if the game is saying, "This is the last push, the last obstacle, this is what you've been working towards".

Lol wut Furi, and Praey for the Gods.

good games.

boomers??? what the fuck are you talking about. it was millennials who played this. OP you retarded faggot

Just play BotW it mimics the empty open world pretty well.

They could make a sequel with more bosses with better puzzles/designs and it could be even better than the original. But that would take, you know, actual effort and instead they decide just to remake the exact same game with different graphics.

Lurk moar
Boomer just means anyone older then the year 2000 now to zoomers

It's the obsession with "content" IMO. People are happier paying for a mediocre game that lasts 100 hours than a fantastic, one of a kind experience that lasts 10.

Struck a nerve you fucking dipshit? Run on back to go play Apex or Fortnite or some shit. Don't forget to buy in-game currency for your new cosmetics and be sure to check out the battle pass, you fucking subhuman.

>this blew Zebes in 1994

What's the best way to play this? PS2 vs PS3 vs PS4? I hear PS3 is best because the graphics stay more true to the original, but is better to play than PS2 because of framerate and whatnot.

I played a few hours of the original on PS2 but didn't finish and am looking to revisit and beat it. Which is best and why?

Where is Ueda's new game anyway? This is going to be a decade of development hell all over again isn't it

Attached: RocColossuspic4.jpg (640x480, 47.13K)

The game gave you more than enough to tell it’s story while also being a ridiculously awesome game. The world was absolutely SATURATED in soul. The damn lizards on the wall made the world feel more alive than the 63 animals or Texas sized world map of any other open world game. The main character doesn’t utter a single fucking line of dialogue and yet his struggle is so poignant.
I am truly sorry you didn’t get it user, you missed a great experience.

PS2 or PS3 are fine. Don't worry about it being "best" because life is too short.

>The main character doesn’t utter a single fucking line of dialogue
Lol wut yes he does he has a conversation with Dormin in the opening of the game.

Zoomers should read this post

As someone who has played all three it doesn't matter. They all have identical controls and parkour. Pick the one that gives you the most feels. My favorite is PS3 but that is just because it runs well and I have spent the most time grinding the queen sword in

Controls like shit. People "ooh" and "aah" about how movement feels so weighty. Those people are called dumb faggots. Responsiveness is king. 1v1 me in Quake 3 faggots.

No it didn't because it was released in 2005.

>thrown violently off colossus when your stamina hits zero
>colossus follows up with an earth shaking attack that kicks up dust, reducing visibility to near zero
>hit "call for your horse button"
>smart decision in the voice acting direction has the MC cry out desperately for Agro, or whistle loudly
>struggle to see where your horse even is
>catch a glimpse of it rearing on the opposite side of the colossus
>Agro tears up the ground in a full sprint towards you, through the boss' legs as the colossus turns to look straight at you with those glowing eyes and readies another attack
>music swelling the whole time
they just dun' make em like they used to.

I won't lie user if you ever ran out of stamina on a colossus you just aren't good at video games.

SotC is a big budget game made for mass appeal.

Last guardian is better desu
I cried at the end

no one in the world cares about you, meme bug

it was kino then and now
ueda is unironically a genius, perhaps the greatest genius of gamedev

Zoomers can't process fiction that requires the usage of their imagination. Are there any 9 hour long lore videos about SotC?

The originals devs left. Why would you want a sequel?

Uedafags are the only people more pretentious than Kojimatards.

Agro's AI was insanely advanced for the time.

Fun fact, in this game you can walk on top of Agro while he is moving (makes the janky archery aiming with snake colossus way easier), hang off the side of him and dive if you are high enough above water (it is really satisfying to do above the quadratus arena)

Not true, I have a gf.

Attached: sample-6ddb0978d4ba2a28e0d362cb8a203e23.jpg (850x567, 151.09K)

They're like 50 year old japs I wouldn't expect them to. Talented young game designers still exist and they could make another one.

You cried when the kid got kidnapped by the flying dog?

SotC is insanely impressive, probably the most impressive PS2 game. It felt a generation ahead compared to other games.

How did a PS2 game not only manage the impressive hair on the protagonist and the colossi, but the fucking ragdoll physics?

>Fun fact, in this game you can walk on top of Agro while he is moving (makes the janky archery aiming with snake colossus way easier)
Literally press L1 jesus christ why are you people bad at video games.

>Shadow of the Colossus
Favorite game ever. I like to draw my own colssi.

Attached: colossi (2).jpg (2882x2736, 1.35M)

And not every game that was good in development ended up good on release. I'll hold a grudge about Hardspace Shipbreaker for the rest of my life.

That's kind of cool user.

Based hobby user

AGRO

No idea why people like this game or BOTW both are boring

also agro's ai was some of the best, most realistic we've ever seen.

>comparing every game good and bad to fucking BOTW
Don't summon the keyboard warriors, nobody cares

SotC isn't an open world game. It's a game with an open world.

They're just similar
Empty open worlds with stamina a horse and climbing

Can you go into detail?

Ueda is still around and making another game with epic. Who knows if it will connected to the 3 games. Why can't it be a one off thing?

Oh OK thanks

But it's really not, at least not in the traditional sense.

Most games that have mass appeal are ones that can be immediately understood and picked up by your average person. That's why games like Call of Duty sell so much each year, because the idea of point, shot repeat is something anyone can grasp..

SotC on the other hand has deliberate interaction between Wander and the colossi that can be frustrating do drive home a thematic purpose and make the game feel that much more real.

It's the same thig with Agro too, a game with mass appeal often makes it so that with a horse it's pretty much just "point ad go", whereas Agro actually feels like controlling a horse, with the wind up to a full sprint, really weighty movements, and even Agro's natural pathfinding plays a part.

SotC reached a big audience for sure, but saying it was made for mass appeal seems misguided.

Next Ueda kino when? Is his studio that understaffed or is the new game simply too ambitious without the Sony money?

Attached: batb.png (1920x934, 760.16K)

All games are the same. You play them with controllers that have buttons on them.

I feel sorry for zoomers because I know they've never been truly excited about anything or had their mind actually blown

The graphics of Final Fantasy VIII trailer back in the late 90s completely blew my friends and I away. Zoomers have never experienced that feeling because they're fried from social media instant gratification

Attached: download (8).jpg (300x168, 7.42K)

Not that user but in every game with a horse it is just a car with a different visual model and it goes at a "static" constant speed in instant directions. It feels unnatural and overly responsive in a bad way.

Agro somehow has his own animated skeleton to him so you can feel the responsive CLUNK CLONK of the hooves hitting the ground at different rates as you tell him to go faster or slower, he turns directions with his legs instead of his face (?) and even responds to the reigns by moving his skull in that direction. If shit starts exploding too close he throws you off and reels the other way from projectiles

Most well-funded modern devs can't or won't do this shit let alone the 2005 Ueda team

What is that disgusting thing on the right

He'd come when called.

He's doing an Epic exclusive. I'm not kidding.
destructoid.com/fumito-ueda-next-game-teaser-art/

The funny thing is, this was one of the most heavily-shitposted games on Any Forums back when it was brand new and for a few years after, too. All they had to do was call it overrated or call it "hipster shit" and it'd be bump limit in under twenty minutes.

The FF8 trailer was mindblowing because we'd never seen CG that looked that good. There's not been such a crazy jump in graphical fidelity in zoomers' lifetimes, and there never will be.

Tim Schafer

It's still amazing to me there was only 2 years between 7 and 8

8 will always be the most mindblown I've ever been by a jump in graphics. They went from polygon blocks to believable and good looking models. Little things such as your party running around behind you instead of you just absorbing them like in 7 was a huge deal for us too.

The game wasn't released until '05 you absolute sub-human zoomer. The graphics were amazing for the PS2. Maybe don't talk about what people thought when you were still shitting in your pants. KYS faggot.

Well at least it'll be free.

Well fuck. What a fall from grace.

This is the first I am seeing it but I think it might be a cat-chimera colossus thing. And that the perspective is looking at its face

Attached: meow.png (1920x934, 845.68K)

SotC and FFX are kino and they're one of few games I can replay over and over

Spore is an obvious example of this

>Spore
the game that broke my hype receptors. i haven't gotten excited for an unreleased game ever since that piece of shit came out.

just wait another 10 years

Attached: playerone_tv-272.jpg (1271x1891, 560.84K)

The game was made for mass appeal. It isn't some special snowflake arthouse game only ten people have played.

Yea good point games are for faggots

>All they had to do was call it overrated or call it "hipster shit"
They were right.

I don't think you know what "mass appeal" means in corporate context. It means being safe and standardized, taking little to no risks.

What could've been...

Attached: 1628341530058.jpg (1884x2291, 531.44K)

A seamless giant open world environment without any Silent Hill fog and looks as good as a Final Fantasy game? Fuck yeah it was mind blowing.

Could we be going back to the SOTC Forgotten Lands vros? It looks a lot like the pedestal you lay Mono's corpse on especially with what have to be the iconic 16 doves. Only in the citadel in SOTC there is a roof above the pedestal which makes me think maybe not

He said it is combining elements from all 3 games so if there is combat this might make sense

Attached: Mono.jpg (640x362, 136.31K)

kek

Also the fact that you can climb into giant bosses instead of slicing their feet.

no it didnt, that game was shit

hi Itsuno

Attached: 1650809104328.jpg (970x892, 142.85K)

I grew up in the PS2 era, I never got to experience this, but I can only imagine the feeling. FF8 has always been my favorite trailer for a game, its such an amazing trailer, but I never thought about it from this perspective.

Attached: 1643838764867.jpg (1461x881, 147.23K)

And those young zoomers would still fuck it up by trying to add their own "flare", ala the faggots over at Bluepoint.

From what I've seen in all the spider colossus concept art it seems like the shadows of the 16 colossi hosts come out of the thorax part to try and hit you as a projectile. I think this was supposed to the true final colossus of the game imo. Colossus 20 or whatever. Would be logical too with its map placement having it coming out of the spire directly behind the citadel

The faggots at bluepoint are millennials. What ever problem you have with their remakes is the fault of the millennial devs.

The biggest sin of the remake is it doesn't have a free roam mode where you can tackle the colossi in any order.

Christ, I forgot how much brown and plasma furnace bloom this game had. I'm glad that's no longer a thing.

A crippling anime addiction isn't a girlfriend, faggot.

No she is real and I love her!

Attached: shadow-of-the-colossus-wander-194.jpg (1332x850, 192.17K)

Zoomzoom adhd strikes again

That's pretty interesting considering that the spider colossus is the most mysterious in my opinion.

Attached: 1640194071025.jpg (2113x1479, 405.83K)

Cube World moment
>Captcha:PS28GA

How could you possibly guess that the colossi come out of its thorax? What images substantiate such a thing?

I'm old and, at this point, so crotchety that millenial and zoomer are the same to me and extremely annoying.

Shut the fuck up zoomie, you have shit taste and will never own a home

Attached: 1645251717743.jpg (3507x2480, 716.61K)

The dev is a spineless fuckhead

What is scariest colossus and why is it Hydrus?

Attached: AOS2mlHh.jpg (1024x576, 24.89K)

It's fucking terrifying. The cutscene where you see it in the lake is so good too. The only other experience I've had that comes as close as helpless as that boss is the sea section in Rainworld.

>mindrot: the post
there are so many examples of zoomers posting retarded shit exactly like this, that someone should make a compilation image chronicling the absolute state of a generation's mental decay.

y'know, i just might do it myself. congrats faggot, your post is the first in my compilation.

Tried the remaster. One of few games I never bothered to complete

Attached: C502FE04-B024-42EF-A167-3641EAF3E95B.jpg (500x500, 47.11K)

It blew more than my mind

Did you mean to reply to that user

>phoneposter
>frogposter
>zoomer retard
>bad bait rehashed from before he was even born
what's left to say, folks?

whoops, no
sorry user, meant to reply to this faggot:

What a fag

Makes sense, that colossi looks like a headache to beat. There's a reason why cut content is what it is

Games with SOUL

Agro is a lady and you will treat her with the respect she deserves.

Shadow of the Colossus was a boring a shit game when it released and it still is a boring as shit game now.

I'll never understand what makes people coom themselves over some imaginary "artistry" going on with this game. It plays like shit, it runs like shit, it has 0 content. Other games would get shit on hardcore if they released in a state like SotC, no one would claim "ooooh this game is so artistic and deep!". No, it's a game devoid of anything that makes it a worthwhile experience.

Attached: pepe.jpg (1200x675, 98.21K)

You can't read. Not the colossi. The shades. The souls of the people that made and inhabit them that come out and fuck you in the chest everytime you defeat a colossi and release them?

In the early gameplay/concet art you can see the same dark tentacles you get attacked by in the retail game coming out of the spider's body and toward you while the colossus is not yet defeated. That is all I was saying.

Here is a pic so you can see more clearly what I am referring to

Attached: C4BABF44-53E4-4CFE-A335-3DDEDDA2E47E.png (779x606, 850.37K)

That’s all from soft is, the space between bosses is nothing

Final boss was originally an undead colossi named Evis, probably to contrast with Wander being corrupted.
Instead they made Buddha (Now Malus) even bigger and the final boss looking over the forbidden lands.

Kinda prefer the original idea, because Evis was hidden behind the castle Argus is guarding, also said castle entrance was guarded by the worm.

damn if only the boss fights were good you'd have an interesting game

>I am too dumb to grasp the meaning of the story where is my ebucks this satisfying gameplay that you are only forced to play like 10 hours of is too boring for me mooooooooom!
Every time someone complains that games nowadays have no soul, I just smile and know they are getting exactly what they are asking for

I smell a zoomer who unironically thinks all there is to games is "difficulty".

That's a shame. Does not seem like there is any footage of him but there is this left behind apparently which is actually super cool if legit. He was Basaran's diameter but roughly 3x the height

youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=fGnce-FyrMc

Attached: D91DC873-514B-450E-9554-4D35C265BB0F.png (720x530, 595.57K)

That's okay. They're for people that actually like video games. You don't need to like them.

>zoomers have no mind to blow

Yeah sotn too so many risks by copying super metroid

No but this did.

Attached: gothic old camp.jpg (1280x720, 205.16K)

This gives me the same vibe as when I descended to Enkanomiya in Genshin Impact. Too bad the game's so old, because even 8 years ago it looked fascinating.

if shadow of the colossus was made today, it would have crafting, ubisoft towers, menial copy pasted side activities, outposts, and a bunch of NPCs just like every fucking 'open world' game

You aren't wrong but fuck your post made me mad.

>boomers
>not bloomers

You had 1 job.

>Fetch me 600 lizard tails with an upgraded sword so I can fund my minigame stall where the prize after beating it on super hard is the map that leads you to the next colossi
With a bunch of quips included

No it wouldn't, but the threads would have underage subhuman retards calling it Ubishit or calling the lizards korok seeds.

This is literally what Elden Ring looks like to me

stop letting "hipster fucks" live rent free in your head dude, you sound massively insecure. it's ok to admit this game is an artistic masterpiece and the rest of your post just cements why this game gets the reputation it has as an "art" game.

cope. game is/was complete garbage and a waste of time

Must suck playing elden ring on a 970

I don't care at all because as far as the average 5 iq retard on Any Forums goes, I myself would be considered one. My issue is with the type of insufferable dumbass who thinks museums need to contain a crt tv with ps2 and SotC running in them.

>My issue is with the type of insufferable dumbass who thinks museums need to contain a crt tv with ps2 and SotC running in them.
lol what

why are you just making things up to be mad at dude.

Not continuing the conversation with somebody who wasn't even born when the game came out.

NTA but I'm older than you and you need to stop getting mad over shit you invent in your schizo mind.

>My issue is with the type of insufferable dumbass who thinks museums need to contain a crt tv with ps2 and SotC running in them.
No need to make up imaginary people

>NTA but I don't remember this so it didn't happen
Okay?

see

i'm 35, where are the CRT museum posters at dude? grow up for christ sake

Take your meds.

Well, yes.
Games with good art direction were rare. Still are