ARPG Thread

grim dawn=diablo 2>>titan quest>>>>torchlight

Attached: ss_e82572ce6655017a8c5f72daa922923937a4b493-2261104362.jpg (1500x1500, 472.21K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UM95ngzoqrU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I dunno, they're all the same to me

test

The lack of randomness for replay hurts but the builds are really good. D2 has the randomness but the levels are a heavy let down. Didn't finish Titan Quest, didn't like Torchlight. Really like D1 but as such an early entry it has a lot of rough corners, but atmosphere and tight focus on a single area was good.

What is like having no taste whatsoever?

D1 is my favorite, if only for nostalgias sake

why the fuck titan quest is so boring?

I haven't played D1 or D3 yet. Haven't done any of the titan quest or grimdawn dlc, and I also have torchlight 2 and sacred 1 and 2 to play.

How does it hold up compared to 2? Diablo 2 LOD is one of my favorite games, but I'm young enough that I've never played the first one.

Grim Dawn is a good game. However, compared to D2, it's boring shit. The build system and itemization of Grim Dawn if unnecessarily messy for no meaningful gain in depth. It's yet another ARPG developed by people who loved D2 but wished there were more to it. That's the trap. If you add too much bullshit to an ARPG, it turns into grey junk.

why cant you come up with a more specific name for your genre that immediately separates itself from games like dark souls, fable, and skyrim?

Well, what would you call it?

Oh go fuck yourself. ARPGs are just arcade style games with equipment systems.

loot-compare-em-ups

seriously though, its weird no one acknowledges it. the fucking spinoff has a real name (looter shooter) but diablo is still just an action rpg.

The skill trees are what define an ARPG. At the core of an ARPG is a system that makes subsequent playthroughs of the same content feel different or new.

D1 has nice music and atmosphere, but D2 is probably the better game.

What makes grim dawn so much better than torchlight? I always saw those 2 as mostly the same.

Is it too late to play diablo 2 now?

>The skill trees are what define an ARPG.
you cant say such a general mechanic is a genre's defining feature. skyrim has skill trees. salt and sanctuary has a skill tree. even sekiro has a skill tree.

Try playing Torchlight or Torchlight 2 nowadays. The movement and targeting in those games is complete dogshit.

Some older terms include Diablo clone and hack-and-slash. I've grown to prefer Diablolike. ARPG is definitely not a good name since it's commonly used to refer to 3rd person action games that have little to do with Diablo but usually the context makes it obvious. I would describe the genre as isometric perspective real time action combat-focused loot hunt dungeon crawl RPG.

Have you played both of them? Grimdawn goes a lot more in-depth with their skills. You can combine skills from 2 different classes. It also has better music and visuals (imo at least). Plus, grimdawn has an actually story. Torchlight is just "kill thing x on floor y".

You think those games aren't action RPGs? If so, why not?

More specifically though, an ARPG will have skill trees that demand opportunity cost from the player.

Nope, but I'd recommend getting the remaster. It's still a genuinely fun game, I beat the game on normal and enjoyed it the entire time. Never finished nightmare mode though...

>You think those games aren't action RPGs? If so, why not?
sekiro definitely isnt. but yes, they are. thats the problem. if i say "i want to talk about arpgs" i have to specify if i mean diablo style arpgs or all the other ones. and they definitely arent the same genre. there is some overlap, but youll find a lot of people will like one and not the other.

The only ARPG I ever played is getting remastered. Maybe I'll play it again.

youtube.com/watch?v=UM95ngzoqrU

Is this a mobile game?

It was Xbox but they could definitely make it mobile nowadays

Last Epoch > All that tripe

Isometric Gear Grind Treadmill with Shallow Ninties Gameplay

I definitely recommend D1. Inventory is rough in a way as its very limited and gold/potions take up space in it. Builds are a little limited, but the fact i ts all one town that develops and responses from characters there change and you spiral down further as shit hits the fan is great. Both aoe and single target can work really well.

D3 is more action and follows in about manipulating the game for speed and big numbers, but it does have a nice amount of variety. Atmosphere is lacking, not because it used color, but more because everything is soft and bright. Had no replay value at launch but may have the most now.

D2 had a lot build variety and at least some of the atmosphere of D1, but 2 acts are tunnels which majorly cut down builds. Another Act is full of annoying cunt enemies that aren't hard just an irritation. Potion belt is cool, but loot always feels too far behind where you are in the game compared two 1 or 3. Praised the most but its easily my least favorite due to its levels.

Grim Dawn I can't speak for the DLC as I never really finished it. Game is really cool but not enough dungeon in my dungeon crawl. Feel it fits in more with Baldur's Gate type games than Diablo because its there to tell a story and build a character more so than quest for loot endlessly to make your perfect build. But holy damn are its builds cool.

Dungeon Crawler. Also weird to put Dark Souls, Fable, and Skyrim together given one is an atmospheric combat focus game, one is an over ambitious RPG, and one is a modding platform.