Why did the Saturn fail while the N64 succeeded?

Why did the Saturn fail while the N64 succeeded?

Attached: 44460A21-C3C5-49B4-B4A6-125AEED04196.jpg (4780x2600, 3.3M)

3d, not fucked up le harcdore on drugs tv ads that give nightmare to kids and no good sonic game besides le meme super sonic racing

Because the Saturn was more expensive and it literally had no games

The most successful sega system in Japan.

this
they also released it without warning and retailers were pissed about it because it kind of fucked them over

oh shit Saturn thread. Wait for the retards that say this was the better console. It's hilarious.

Build for 2d but the market wanted shitty 3d. It was a 2d power house but shit at 3d compared to the cheaper ps1. So they shifted focus to 3d,which made it obvious it was shit at it and you're better off with a PS1.

Its kind of sad

>difficult to develop games for
>didn't include enough process power
>not many games got localized from japan

Because
1/ Sega 32X
2/ Sega doing the surprise launch in the US (May, original plan being September 1995), which pissed off retailers because they have no stock, pissed off developers because the games aren't ready yet, pissed off consumers because it's more expensive than the Playstation and their purchasing plan was all fucked. It's incomprehensible to piss off everyone at the same time with a single move.
3/ Nogaems.

>they also released it without warning
Awesome marketing strategy

Mario 64 was a huge system seller, Oot, goldeneye, Pokemon all system sellers, Saturn system seller was supposed to be Nights and Sonic Xtreme, Saturn is full of obscure novelty games

PlayStation had 3D Crash Bandicoot. N64 has 3D Super Mario. What did Saturn have? Not a proper 3D sonic the Hedgehog game that's what. I was born in the early 90's, the first home console i ever played on was a Mega-Drive/Genesis but i literally did not even see a Sega Saturn in the flesh until i was already an adult. The thing simply did not exist in real life as far as we were all concerned as kids. At least one neighbour would own an N64 down our street, but a Saturn? It's something you only read about it magazines.

Attached: 2E9C1FDC-C9CD-4F65-B04E-2A3B377C08F9.gif (320x240, 346.83K)

Saturn had Virtua Fighter 2, which was a pretty big deal. It also had a lot of arcade games like Virtua Cop and even got ports of other popular games of the time, like Resident Evil. At the end of the day, Saturn just didn't have enough "must have" titles, the system was notoriously complicated to develop for and was expensive ($399.99 MSRP in 1995, which is almost $800.00 in today's dollars).

Sonic R is still the only good 3D Sonic game

It pissed me off as a kid that it wasnt backwards compatible with sega cd games, or genesis games (despite having a slot in the back that looked like it could accept genesis cartridges)

>Nogaems
The funny thing is, it had games. near perfect arcade ports of fightan games. Also Cotton/Panzer Dragoon/Nights/etc

more expensive and lot of arcades ports.
But people at the time wanted games like resident evil or final fantsy, arcade was on the decline at this point.

I just don't see a fighter as a "system seller" it was in Japan because VF was at the top of the genre at the tiime

>I just don't see a fighter as a "system seller"
In the 90's fighters were insanely popular, just as popular if not more than FPS games are today. Street Fighter II on SNES sold 6.3 million copies, for example. It was the highest selling third-party title on SNES. Fighters could absolutely move hardware back then.

>but a Saturn? It's something you only read about it magazines.
This. Someone owning a Saturn in your neighborhood was as likely as someone owning a Neo Geo.

Soulcalibur was probably the last fighter system seller, it was worth buying a console but it just wasn't enough. You need other genres nowadays, I guess smash sells Nintendo hardware

because n64 could do proper 3D

By the time of the Saturn/PS, fighters lost a lot of luster. The SFA line wasn't anywhere close to as successful, and nobody wants to talk about the embarrassment that is "Everything between MK3 and MK9".