Tried almost 30 different games for this piece of shit. Are there any good ones? Using RetroArch. Not into arcade games...

Tried almost 30 different games for this piece of shit. Are there any good ones? Using RetroArch. Not into arcade games. I would have been pissed to have gotten this for Xmas over 64 or PSX.

Attached: 7337b4c5-7440-4e17-9ea3-27168c7f8c06.jpg (1080x810, 200.16K)

Saturn lacks a killer app to anchor its library. It never got that game that was either a definitive must-own or something that properly showcases its tech.

There is always that one user that will claim any console that was generally regarded as bad is actually underappreciated or actually the best of its generation.

Most of the time I think it is anons whose parents couldn't afford more than one console per gen. They delude themselves into thinking it was the best console to cope with what they missed out on.

All I had that gen was a Saturn and even I recognize there was something of a gulf in terms of "games to make your friends jelly".

Counterpoint: The 3DO was actually good

Why?

NiGHTS is probably the closest to such a game but the underlying gameplay isn't enough to make it stand up to something like Mario 64 or Metal Gear Solid.

Attached: nights-into-dreams---button-fin-1550186955593[1].jpg (1024x1024, 196.35K)

Because I said so.

Attached: essex head.png (1000x1000, 454.77K)

>Not into arcade games
You're in for disappointment then, Saturn has a metric shitload of arcade ports

NiGHTs
Christmas NiGHTs
Burning Rangers
Panzer Dragoon
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Shining Force III
Guardian Heroes
Radiant Silvergin
Saturn Bomberman
Best home versions of many many 2D fightan gaems
Virtua Cop
Virtua Cop 2
Die Hard Arcade
More I can’t think of atm

>retroarch
stopped reading there

Attached: fuck this.gif (450x254, 4M)

>Not into arcade games
Yeah, you aren't going to enjoy the Saturn.

I had a psx, n64, and a Saturn when they came out. I still have the Saturn.

Virtua Fighter 2
Fighting Vipers
Fighters Megamix

But what is the anchoring game amidst those?

PDS is damn good but it came out so late in the Saturn's life cycle that it can't be considered a quality anchor. Everything else feels like it appeals to some people but lack that mass-market impact with something for everyone and sells the hardware (and even PDS as an RPG still feels a little too niche to be the anchor even if it came out earlier in the cycle).

Like everyone has something they could get out of Crash Bandicoot. Might not have staying power for everyone who plays it but everyone with a PlayStation SHOULD at least play it sometime.

I hate admitting this--the Saturn has charm but it feels scattershot and nonspecific. The games in your collection will feel more valuable for the sum of their parts than any specific standout title, at least in my opinion.

Not everyone wants to fork out tons of money for the original hardware. And used retro games are very expensive. 30 games on an emulator for free is better than spending over $1000 on ebay Saturn games only to find you don't like them...which would probably be the case for most Saturn games.

The age of physical games on retro hardware is over. These days flash solutions are the only affordable way to really experience older consoles on original hardware.

I don't doubt that you had those. I am saying that 99% of the time whenever someone claims the Saturn, Jaguar, or any "losers" of a console gen are actually the best console, it is usually a coping mechanism for someone that could only afford one.

im not angry at you for using an emulator im angry at you for using a shit emulator

It was popular for its good arcade ports, user. There isn't much on it if you hate arcade games.
Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean
AMOK
Assault Suits Leynos 2
Astal
Bulk Slash
Burning Rangers
Dark Savior
Darius Gaiden
Dragon Force
Dragon Force II
Fire Pro Wrestling S: 6 Men Scramble
Grandia
Guardian Heroes
Keio Flying Squadron 2
Langrisser IV
Langrisser V: The End of a Legend
Loaded
Lunar: Silver Star Story
Lunar 2: Eternal Blue
Magical Night Dreams: Cotton Boomerang
Mega Man 8: Anniversary Collector's Edition
Mega Man X4
Nights into Dreams...
Panzer Dragoon
Panzer Dragoon II Zwei
Panzer Dragoon Saga
PowerSlave (Exhumed)
Princess Crown
Radiant Silvergun
Rayman
Road Rash
Saturn Bomberman
Scorcher
Shining Force III Scenario 1
Shining Force III Scenario 2
Shining Force III Scenario 3
Shining the Holy Ark
Shinrei Jusatsushi Taromaru
Soviet Strike
Steam-Heart's
Super Tempo
The Legend of Oasis
Three Dirty Dwarves
Thunder Force Gold Pack 1
Thunder Force Gold Pack 2
Thunder Force V

Never played a Crash Bandicoot game. Castlevania:SotN, RE2, MGS, and FFVII were more anchoring than Crash and later in the psx’s lifetime. Even Tomb Raider is more of a PlayStation game. PlayStations big attractions at the beginning of its life was arcade ports like Tekken, 3D fighters like Toshinden and the $35 price tag for new games.

I just picked something off the top of my head. You're probably right about Tomb Raider.

The Saturn suffered from the same problem as the Dreamcast. It was cool tech...if it had come out a couple years earlier. Just like the Dreamcast, it ended up being behind the times of a major competitor and left in the dust, unable to actually compete before totally dying. Just like the Dreamcast, they made a "perfect" last gen console for the next gen. Sega fans seethe at this, but they know it's true.

The DC was ahead of the curve. It had online play and the graphics were competitive with the PS2's.

The way I picture it they ended up having to use the DC to dig themselves out of the Saturn hole and it wasn't moving the sorts of numbers they needed it to in order to make that happen.

It launched with 1 analog stick and a proprietary disc comparable to a CD, in 1999. That was NEVER going to compete with the PS2. Ever.

No mainline Sonic games either if I remember correctly.

Would be like if Switch never got BotW, Odyssey, Smash, AC, MK8D. But relied on SMTV, Xenoblade, and Mario Sports Games as the anchors. Sure those games have their fans, but they are niche subset games and lack 10mil+ appeal

There were not. Sonic X-Treme was supposed to be that game.

The only Sonic games on the system were a compilation (Jam), a port of a Genesis game (3D Blast), and a racing spinoff (R).

The GC should have been no competition either by that metric. Its sticks didn't click and it had no real semblance of online play (the PS2's online was pretty lousy since it was up to each individual company to provide their own online play instead of tying it into a central network like Xbox LIVE but it existed). Its media was also more compressed than the PS2's (albeit bigger than a GD-ROM, though not by a ton).

It has a bunch of great rpgs and srpgs. You either need to know moon or use a fan patch. It's no PS1, but it shits all over the N64.

I have seen other people say DreamCast failed because it was ahead of its time. That is usually the main cope people use.

Kudos to you for saying it was dated and behind the times.

Well what is the DC actually worth as a platform? Surely you're not going to say it was actually a pretty forgettable console.

Idk, actually owning a turbo grafx was something only pretty hardcore gamers did back then (even if you could grab one for