I want to make a 2D game. Should I learn GDScript or Lua...

I want to make a 2D game. Should I learn GDScript or Lua? Which would be easier to learn for someone with no prior programming knowledge?

Attached: image (8).jpg (983x360, 40.29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

rbwhitaker.wikidot.com/c-sharp-tutorials
github.com/Packmanager9/Ditzbitz_Engine
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Godot is for 2D
Unreal is for 3D
it's that simple

Godot will be easier because it holds your hand. Love2D will teach you gamedev better.

>Which would be easier to learn for someone with no prior programming knowledge?
GDScript is piss-easy and Godot's node system is super-hierarchal, so much so that a fourth grader could navigate through your game in the editor with ease.

lua is industry standard. gdscript is a clusterfuck of incomplete and broken features

Dunno about Love, but Godot might frustrate you more than not because, for how hand-holdy it is, this is actually a detriment since you'll often skip out on basic programming or game engine rules.

I recommend you to start with Unity and then maybe switch to Godot if you want a more friendly GUI for game devving.
This of course means that you're going to learn 2 different languages, C# into GDscript, but that's fine, since knowing the former means you'll only need a day or two to pick up the latter.

I especially recommend RBWhitaker's C# lessons, which are very digestible. He's an excellent programmer and a good teacher.
rbwhitaker.wikidot.com/c-sharp-tutorials
He also has tutorials covering Microsoft XNA (now Monogame), but you don't have to worry about that, since it's a framework and not a real game engine.

And then, there are Youtube videos.
Youtube videos can be great, but can also be terrible. Some programmers are super hardcore and type out shit that will seem incrompehensible to a layman, others will treat you with kiddie gloves.
Finding the right Youtube channels/ videos is also going to be important for whatever engine you're using.

>industry standard
lol maybe the industry of the 00s, roughly the last time someone thought it was a good idea to implement a scripting language.

>just use this spyware engine bro
no I don't think I will

What about GameMaker for 2D?

Game Maker has been a joke compared to the competition for a few years now and no one should use it now that they have a subscription model. I guess it might have a use case if you're literally braindead enough you can't learn the absolute basics of other engines because Game Maker holds your hand that little bit more.

Godot is free as in freedom and can make 2D games
so it wins

So Godot is handholding, GameMaker is superglued hands, and Love is no touching?
Would you say it's the most balanced and/or versatile? Say I wanted to make a small game to test the waters, would Godot be ideal?

If you want anything more free (less handholdy) than Godot then just use C++
These are the levels:
C++ for extreme autism
Godot for 2D
Unreal for 3D

I recommend this thing I made
github.com/Packmanager9/Ditzbitz_Engine

Attached: CPU AI FFA.gif (418x238, 1.89M)

personally, I'd recommend Love2d, as another user said, it's great to learn actual lua programming. once you learn how to set up tables and for loops, that's honestly all you really need to get started on making a game.

t.made a fighting game in love

>Game Maker has been a joke compared to the competition for a few years now and no one should use it
B-but ... My baby, Undertale, was made in it ...

That's the thing, because a number of good games have been made with it in the past it still has the brand recognition to coast on for a while. I wonder just how long though.

Well, I guess for a game like Undertale it's fine to be made in GameMaker, but can they still ride the coattails of Toby with Deltarune?

if you can learn one language you can learn another
just start with Godot so you can actually make something

Lua is weird.

Learn basics of programming in c# and then start learning Unity.

Post it.
Based pomao