Why is Dark Souls memed as a very difficult game for hardcore gaymers?

Why is Dark Souls memed as a very difficult game for hardcore gaymers?
I beat Demon's Souls when I was 9 or 10. I don't think I even upgraded my weapons because I didn't know how.

Attached: file.png (2048x1152, 3.35M)

Demon's Souls is easier because you can just eat a shit ton of grass.

>9 or 10
we all played it at 5
you didn't beat the game

>Why is Dark Souls memed as a very difficult game for hardcore gaymers?
because they're more difficult and opaque than other games of similar popularity during a time when handholding was spiraling out of control
>I beat Demon's Souls when I was 9 or 10. I don't think I even upgraded my weapons because I didn't know how.
this didn't happen but yeah the games aren't particularly crazy w/r/t difficulty

>9 or 10
frfrfr bruh iss nawh bussin at all ong sheeeeeeeesh
Shut the fuck up faggot

normies/journalists died twice in the starting area then parrot hardest game ever dude. then they get too intimidated to go further and turn it off instead of actually playing the game.

Original demon's souls following never called it 'very difficult' but praised it because it was old school, it had similarities to old NES games, not only in fights where you could die in a couple of hits, but in how it reveled in being cryptic and obtuse, with stuff like world tendency or side quests, in not being afraid of frustrating and punishing players with long runbacks and a die and retry learning methodology, etc. It got praised for these reasons precisely at a time when the industry kept casualizing and dumbing down everything, it was an unapologetic game for gamers in the era of motion controls, auto regen, constant checkpoints, floating quest markers, etc.

That you couldn't figure out how to upgrade your stats is another example of how obtuse it can be for a casual player not willing to read some documentation and do some maths.

Lazy critics flanderized it, 'x is the souls of y', bamco capitalized on it for marketing with 'prepare to die' and as a result even from itself fell for it by drawing attention to raising difficulty in the sequels.

I was in college when Demon's Souls came out...I got into it because I was big into Monster Hunter at the time and it looked like another game where I fight large monsters. I was totally wrong about the type of game it was, but I still adored it.

Attached: Demons-Souls-Blacksmith-Boldwin.jpg (1600x800, 149.75K)

Normalfag meme. It's only hard when you don't understand the mechanics. You play these games for the atmosphere and level design and to get immersed into the dungeon crawling experience. Any difficulty is just to make you pay attention.

because of the "prepare to die" meme when they released it on PC

Shit an boring series
Morrowind is better

it's memed as such because its main audience is codkiddie casuals that hadn't played a non handholding game before it came along, hence why soulslikes are pretty much the default action game now, it's for casuals and normalfags and always has been

>dude... DUDE... what if mushrooms lmao?...

It's a case of "you had to be there", nobody is surprised by this kind of game right now but it's exactly because it made it normal for games to be like this. Basically what said on top of having incredible atmosphere that left you alone with the game, nothing to distract you from it. It is unironically an experience some people look for - no quests, no intrusive cutscenes during gameplay, no overbearing dialogues. The perceived difficulty was merely an extension of that immersion - you couldn't turn your brain off and autopilot through everything at least on the first playthrough.

Because it is a difficult game for hardcore gamers. While you might not think it's hard enough one of the reasons it became so popular is because it came out in a decade where 99.9% of games were mind numbingly trivial, the difficult and punishing nature of the game was exactly what gaming lost since the retro era. It's why we can look at games like Hollow Knight and laugh that it has a "souls-like" tag but that just shows how shit the industry was before being reminded people like to be challenged.

demon's souls had lots of traps and ambush enemy placements to make it a gotcha fest. later on in the series the dungeons became just a filler connector between boss rooms

this board is populated with redditors for a few years now.
elden ring is the easiest game i played in the last 10 years, and so is the rest of these silly japanese "press a button to roll" games.

i think these games have a 100% completion rate on steam, every single e-celeb whore finished it while munching cheetos and twerking.

"hard game" my ASS.

Attached: 123072936_10217431976022409_806056127312446270_n.jpg (640x348, 25.64K)

trying too hard

same thought kek
reminds me of the "bait" I would post when I was new and everyone would immediately called me underage and tell me to fuck off

underageb&

>my daddy came on a controller and I rolled around on the buttons as a sperm and beat the whole series hitless Pajama Sam was harder git good ecks dee

Attached: It's_All_So_Tiresome (1).png (1022x731, 642.76K)

>dude what if Monster hunter only you can overlevel and i-frame spam every single attack!

so just monster hunter then

/thread

Attached: 1581782076596.png (1920x1080, 1.4M)