Mod for a 30 years old boomer shooter

>mod for a 30 years old boomer shooter
>pulls you in more than $100M™ Mature, Story-Driven™ modern AAA

Attached: Asher 2063 Afterglow.png (400x400, 57.59K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MsUWUVQs4M8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Legit the greatest FPS franchise since STALKER. Such a blessing that they exist.

Attached: kF8UNhB.png (1920x1080, 2.42M)

Attached: Tm2xDN9.png (1920x1080, 1.65M)

I need a quick rundown, why is it good? Is it just a Stalker styled doomwad or are their new mechanics?

It's more Fallout and Mad Max than STALKER in style. Mechanically it plays like a boomer shooter, just extremely high quality and with Build-level detail (dedicated melee button, aiming is important, verticality is important, big urban areas with lots of secrets, etc). There are also extremely light RPG-esque elements in that you collect scrap (currency) which you can use to buy certain things like weapon upgrades, and there are also NPCs with light conversations and hub areas. It's basically the best of Blood, Duke Nukem 3D, Strife, and Hexen all combined into a mutant-ravaged hellscape. If Ashes 2063 and Afterglow were a single game and released commercially, it could legitimately qualify as the greatest FPS ever made.

sounds noice, might check it out

fantastic gunplay, great level design, a fucking bike to travel between areas, scavenging, trading, weapon upgrades and actual missions given by NPC's
fist episode is "linear" in a sense that you constantly move forward, like in first 2 Metro games
second ep has hubs with adjacent levels you can enter and return from when doing missions and these is some longer one way trips like in Half Life 2 as you progress
story is 80's cheese, but it's good cheese, and it's unfolding as you progress

but man, I wish they would put more of the game underground
the Dam, the Metro, water treatment plant, the military bunkers, those were best levels in both episodes
Botanic gardens looked fantastic, but they opened too much at times to flex that giant glass dome

>the Dam, the Metro, water treatment plant, the military bunkers, those were best levels in both episodes
The sewers in 2063 were incredible, not only an FPS sewer map that isn't shit, but an outright masterpiece of atmosphere and exploration.
>Botanic gardens looked fantastic, but they opened too much at times to flex that giant glass dome
They barely even ran on my computer, lagged like fuck every time I went into a main dome area. I can agree that the biggest graphics-gameplay gap was in that level, the trap plants were annoying too, but overall even it was still a highly memorable experience.

to this day I don't know if that weidass tree thing that ran away from you was immortal or just retardedly tough
I wasted so much ammo on it it's unreal

Does this work on any other engine than GZDOOM? It's giving me some serious vsync problems and I can't figure out why.

what mode are you running it with? (OpenGL/Vulkan)

kek I had already forgotten that. I had a completely full arsenal and spent every single round just to make sure. If it wasn't invincible there must have been some kind of special secret to kill it.
Needs to run a newer version of GZDoom. I used 4.7.1 which still had some issues with reflections and the aforementioned one laggy level, otherwise it ran fine.

I tried both and nothing changed.

the uppermost download on ModDB page (Ashes: Stand Alone Version 1.03)
comes pre-packed with everything and set up
just run one of the
>Play Episode [number]
BAT files

Nice, I'll try this latter.

Thanks. Is this the entire game so far?

yep
someone is making an expansion already and they do want to make ep3
it's all on ModDB if you want to check it out

There's also a quasi-official (creator-endorsed) fan mod called Ashes Dead Man Walking. I haven't played it yet but it seems well-received.

youtube.com/watch?v=MsUWUVQs4M8
ENTER

nvm, that pack has the fan mod already included as an expansion, I guess that makes it fully official now. Really need to play it then.

the sheer fucking size and density of maps, coupled with quest giving NPC's and bandits, creepy ghosts and psychic mutants in dark tunnels in this mod made me contemplate a Metro 2033 mod that would let you explore more of Glukhovsky's METRO, instead of revolving around two gay caricature factions, spending half of the game above ground and then fucking off on a Transsiberian train trip...

Its a great mod for post apoc atmosphere fags. If you want constant action, this is not for you. First episode is very linear, 2nd is much more open and has hub levels.

I mean, just look at this thing...

Attached: Map_Metro_2035_EN.jpg (2469x3635, 1.81M)

Dead man walking is not amazing but pretty good. Its some small side story.

>Actually good level design, secret hunting is actually fun and requires a good eye for detail
>monsters that are unique aren't just doom reskins
>Not for minotaurs, straight improvement over doom
It's a 12 dollar game in a mod.

>Add double/triple barreled shotgun
>Stock shotgun tossed into the dustbin
>Uhhh what if add bayonet and reload speed upgrades
WHAT was he thinking?

3barrel is an overkill for most anything
I only used it on fat fuck mutants

Standard shotgun for lots of small shit, triple barrel for big shit.