I can't believe how this made 0 noise

I can't believe how this made 0 noise.

Attached: proxy-image (12).jpg (800x450, 32.98K)

Only versions worth creating content for are locked behind a VR game (limited audience) and S&box (Garry's Roblox 2 that most people don't have access to)
And it isn't even a standalone engine

Attached: 1604984278859.jpg (1046x960, 318.06K)

What about DOTA or whatever that was called?

Valve doesn't really give a shit about modding any more, so they let the biggest mod for Dota 2 (Auto Chess) slip out of their hands and then rushed to make their own after the fact.
0 - 2 for these Dota spin-offs

you have no ability to comprehend how much I *want* to use Source 2. I've practiced a ton with the tools, Hammer is fucking amazing in its source 2 rendition compared to before, you can make an insane amount of shit purely in the editor without ever stepping foot outside of it, it's generally just source but nicer.

AND GARRY'S NOT RELEASING S&BOX AND JUST MAKING FUCKING RETARDED UPDATES

>guys we added 3 new props to construct and a new set of clothing for the ugly retarded hotdog men that nobody is going to use a year after release.
>we also added [trivial feature] and [cool feature] but [cool feature] is broken and also we added a bunch of lighting and engine bugs
>we've been very productive this month

i want to bring in the fiercest slave drivers from ancient Egypt and the US south and have them whip garry.

oh and gaben's not innocent either, fucker made ONE meaningful game in source 2 and hey, Alyx was cool, but without multiplayer or widespread easy playability of course nobody's going to use it. If Alyx was like Boneworks then maybe, but it's not, it's mostly just pretty while actually being pretty empty of real substance out of fear of making noobs sick.

From where do you get the tools? Installing DOTA?

Source 2 games usually come with a 'Workshop Tools' thing in the Software section of Steam or by adding the -tools parameter to your launch commands.

No sdk and valve seems to have abandoned mods in general

I have HLA as it has a later version of the tools and it's closer to what s&box has albeit still different but hey, no access.
My advice is use the HLA tools, it has a lot of little shit like a working preview mode so you can walk around your level in first person. However barring that, I recall using something like the free steamvr tools? I'm almost certain if you search for it online you'll find a way to use cmd prompt to trick it and launch hammer without a vr headset, i did that before i got a cheap quest 2.

forgot to add that to my list of grievances, the fact that there's no SDK is heinous.

Because there's no fucking proper SDK for it. You wouldn't believe how much I want to get a proper S2SDK to make a VR game or something, but right now all we have is the stripped down version of Hammer 2 and S2FM from Alyx and Dota 2. It's not enough.
Mark my words, when the proper SDK goes public, we'll see a second renaissance of PC gaming.

Attached: alphonsealphonseelricanimefmafullmetalalchemist106429.jpg (215x185, 16.43K)

it has exactly 1 game thats using it

We already knew about it when Any Forums went to celebrate the fat fuck 50th birthday

Its probably too that the landscape has changed a lot for modding these days.
Like if you had an idea for a game, back then you'd probably be inclined to mod into to a game that supports the features you're looking for.
Where as now, most people with a game idea just go straight to a standalone engine like Unreal, Unity or Godot (lmao)

four games dota 2, half life alyx ,artifact and underlords. Granted those last two games were also failures.

Yeah, I have a buddy using fucking Godot to make a game right now, lmao. I've personally been getting so fed up waiting for s&box or an sdk that will never come that I've been learning to use UE. It's depressing though because for some reason I feel a certain attachment to the Source engine, and I was really hoping to benefit from just being a gamemode of s&box just for the free publicity of sorts you get from being on a game people will already own and have downloaded anyway.

>Only exists in Dota 2 Aperture Desk Job, SteamHome and Alyx
>Only the windows version of the new hammer editor is included with those games
>Valve for some reason has decided only Garry Newman should have the sdk now
GEE I WONDER WHY NOBODY'S TALKIN ABOUT IT

>>Valve for some reason has decided only Garry Newman should have the sdk now
This is the greatest sin
Garry is a huge faggot and now he can gatekeep Source 2 modding as a platform

seriously why does that freak keep avoiding release for s&box? he could at least give out more keys for devs or some shit. has his brain just been corrupted by free endless gmod and rust cash?

I genuinely, desperately want some answer that's not so senseless.

Attached: vile.jpg (680x383, 49.97K)

It's a power thing.
Garry was handed authority and became the gmod janny that everyone hates.

• It's more of a Source 1.5, Valve just kept adding incremental improvements to Source until someone at Marketing decided to staple the big o' "2" on it. Not too different from Source's relationship with GoldSrc ("GoldSrc" was just the state of the source code when Half-Life hit gold)
My understanding that at some point there really did want to actually create a clean break and make their own new engine from scratch. Abandoning the BSP model etc. etc. Apparently that "real" Source 2 drowned in development hell alongside one of the many versions of Half-Life 3.

• The Source 2 we DID get was released with incomplete dev tools and Valve show no sign that they actually intend to release a proper SDK at any point in the future. The best we can hope for is S&Box.

>The best we can hope for is S&Box.
We're fucked.

This is probably the biggest fail from Valve’s NODEV along the way. They have their store, their OS and now their own fucking hardware and they can develop an engine that JUSTwerks with all of it but they didn’t.

Hopefully they will actually do a proper Source 2 release, but in house engine is one thing while continuously supporting a public engine is an other one.