Why are english dubs of Japanese games so bad?

Why are english dubs of Japanese games so bad?

Attached: d.png (250x165, 101.47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Qi1KebO4bzc
desu-usergeneratedcontent.xyz/wsg/image/1514/23/1514238090424.webm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

There's a webm of this

>All negative asses
YAWN

They're ready take their dialy helping of black cock.

youtube.com/watch?v=Qi1KebO4bzc

Attached: braptivation.png (1112x1486, 1.46M)

This but russian ballerina practice videos.
Elden Ring showed that shilling out the shekels to hire actual actors to act yields better results than the cheap VAs who can be afforded to do 10,000 lines in a 100 hour JRPG.

No there's a bit more to it than that. The dev team (and thus the audio director) actually goes out to london to handle the voice acting themselves. There's no original japanese getting an english washover.

To answer OP's question, its because almost everything involved in it is shit and everyone has shit taste and eats it up.
>the actors cant act and deliver lines for shit
>the translated script is awful
>the sound director is awful and is either too lazy to make his actors deliver good lines OR he actually makes them deliver their lines in retarded ways on purpose
>the fans eat this shit up and vehemently defend it for no good reason
>theres zero real incentive to have any kind of budget or quality control to begin with becuse there's ZERO reprocussions for poor quality voice work. the sales of the game/anime do not suffer, the feedback never makes it back to the japanese devs, and the low budget voice actors who cant act to save their lives will still get work because no one cares

But the REAL crime is that japanese games tend to have at least a few if not many young girls and women, and this is by far the one role NO ONE AT ALL in the english speaking world can do right. men and boys? sure, sometimes you get decent english actors. older women? its not common, but there are decent ones out there. young girls? never once in all of the history for english voice acting of japanese games/anime has anyone ever gotten this right, and they never will.

That is more thorough and simple as. Incompetency all the way through and no churning of child actors for all the teen girls. Makes sense.

Attached: 406385de80c380dad62835a186564db5.jpg (1200x900, 121.71K)

Imagine timestopping for a week, nutting inside each one of them and then unstopping time after setting up cameras.
Timestop Pranks™ would go on to become the greatest show ever created.

i have a bad case of diharrea

>Implying
desu-usergeneratedcontent.xyz/wsg/image/1514/23/1514238090424.webm

name 3 examples from 2022

Because it's the same damn people over and over again.

Elden ring and xenoblade 2 were good

>>the sound director is awful and is either too lazy to make his actors deliver good lines OR he actually makes them deliver their lines in retarded ways on purpose
This one in particular shits me off. There was a long period of time there where Atlus and Nintendo were refusing to give their voice actors context for their lines in case spoilers leaked so the performances were dogshit because THEY CALL ME THE ONE TAKE WONDER BECAUSE I'M SO GOOD BOSS WAHEYY

This right here is a good breakdown of a lot of it. Same with anime dubs too. Its all done on a shoestring budget and people like up to suck the dicks of everyone involved even though they are doing a rush job that sounds like garbage. The budget for most dubs of anime or games outside of AAA multi million copy sellers is just hilariously low so everything is done by the lowest bidder.

>xenoblade 2

No. Also fuck them for changing names for no goddamn reason. I hate that shit.

>xenoblade 2
>good english voice acting
like clockwork, here come the shit eaters to defend their aural slop. now tell us how much you hate japanese voice acting while youre at it, lets get your dishonesty out of the way.

xenoblade 2 dub had a awful voice director. characters straight up sound confused or out of tone when talking. this leads to shit like rex screaming like angrily rather than in sadness.

>watch dub comparison videos of Zelda BOTW
>literally every other language dub is better than English

How does this happen?

t. one eyed monster

Xenoblade 2 is interesting in that they (likely) had good actors that were ridiculously held back by the shitty voice director. Every character in that game has a handful of line reads that are phenomenal, and then the remaining 95% of reads are the most stilted, awkward shit that is tonally inconsistent.

I'm extraordinarily excited for 3 because even in the brief snippets we've seen, it seems like this problem with the directing has been fixed.

Westerners can't into japanese media. They think it's like embarrassing or that they're above "degrading" themselves by reading certain content so a lot of their lines are done tongue in cheek hence why it always sounds off like they aren't in character. Especially so with women VAs.

because everything japan does is pure autism which doesnt tranlate well into englisch

>xenoblade 2
lmao this game is probably the PERFECT example of "english voice actors cant do young anime girl voices" theres literally only two types of actors for this role:
>she actually sounds natural, but as a result she sounds WAY too old or mature for her role. bonus points if she cant act like mithra/hikari's voice actor and all her lines come out completely fucking flat
>she actually tries to make herself sound young and HOLY FUCK THE EAR CANCER, made even worse by shitty translated script and a sound director with a head up his ass who actually thinks thats what "anime is supposed to sound like lol". people will defend this and then turn around and make fun of JP voice acting for being "KYAAAAA KAWAII ECCHI UGUU"

>Westerners can't into japanese media. They think it's like embarrassing or that they're above "degrading" themselves

this is extremely true but also with western artists emulating the "anime style".
they always have to give the characters a nose or other western landmarks that ended up making their work look unauthentic.

Incompetence. That's a problem not only with dubs, but with Western media in general. There's only a handful of people who actually care about their jobs and are capable and qualified enough to do their jobs well.

Death to Babylon

This shit right here. Its either a 70 year old chainsmoker or a 30 year old trying to be mickey mouse. There is no inbetween.

>Best girl welshing it up best she can she is
>"shut up."
Good take! Wrap it up we got another hundred hours to record.

Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition eng dub is really good.

american dude living in japan, will i ever be considered as one of them?

Attached: FDYmI5cacAEEHrB.jpg (622x622, 61.61K)

It's the really anime style games like Xenoblade 2 that seem to fail the most when it comes to dubs. Same for anime shows in general. Whereas games like Bayonetta, Metal Gear, stuff like that I couldn't imagine any other way.

Do they actually wear the backpacks...

literally no one bought elden ring for the sparse amount of voice acting

This is a good point too you see it a lot in modern comedy anime dubs like Kaguya-sama or Machikado Mazoku, at points it feels like they are self-sabotaging

You're a guest; and the thing about guests is that they're expected to eventually go home.

capcom, from and kojimbo have good english dubs
it can be done when they care

Did anyone say that? Do I say "meds" now or what?

Attached: 1656309242704.gif (220x257, 17.34K)

i just assumed you meant the games success when you bring up results

damn, that broke me, how do i know when i've overstayed my welcome?

Attached: 1617637652865.jpg (515x515, 50.33K)

when they start saying whaito piggu go homu

>Best girl welshing it up best she can she is
but nia's voice actor was also a problem: not necessarily because of her acting, but because she was horribly miscast. of course all of that is very easy to handwave when the script is heavily localized and dialogue is changed to accomodate it.
bro youre literally naming games that were made in english first and foremost, of course theyre gonna have good english acting compared to games that were translated and localized from japanese. plus those games are usually very westaboo to begin with.

lol no they're still pretty nazi at the root

The subs are bad too. But you wouldnt know that because you cant speak Japanese