Is gamifying language learning helpful or detrimental?

is gamifying language learning helpful or detrimental?

Attached: duolingo asshole.png (2400x2400, 627.89K)

The best way to learn a language is through comprehensible input.

Why would it be detrimental?

People learn differently, giving an additional option to learn something can't be detrimental. If it's not working for the person there's always the traditional ways

It depends on the individual.
However, what does not depend on the individual is that there are good and bad resources for learning a language, and Duolingo is one of the latter.

Last time I tried duolingo it was just a glorified Anki. I wouldn't call that shit a game

duolingo is ok to start with but after a certain level you will get diminishing results

It helped me stay on it for a while after I'd come back from my holiday, but Duo really only helped with some basic phrases. I imagine it'd be pretty good if you used it alongside speaking/learning a language with a native speaker.

Yo quiero impregnar lily con queso nacho taco chimichanga

Duolingo is literally and blatantly not language learning; it is a simple phone game themed around language learning so as to make you feel productive

The concept doesn't have to be detrimental but Duolingo certainly is.
It makes a terrible job of explaining and teaching grammar rules, it is full of mistakes and mistranslations (many native speakers aren't able to pass the tests because of how many errors are there) and at a certain point it's teaching you how to win at Duolingo instead of teaching you the language.

i hit a wall when i got to 3 ع in arabic

If you want to learn a language use picrel
I went from knowing 0 spanish to being able to hold a basic conversation in a span of 2 months. That's a level you're not gonna reach even after a year on Duolingo.

Attached: unnamed.jpg (900x900, 99.57K)

Duolingo is pretty bad. Don't learn Russian

I would argue it’s even better than current “conventional” methods because most people get bored.

>and at a certain point it's teaching you how to win at Duolingo instead of teaching you the language.
Kek

It's fine. But an app like that can only do so much. You need to actually study at some point.

Did you try Duolingo for Russian?

I do Memrise, it is glorified Anki

Why can't it be the future where you just buy a usb chip and put it in your brain and learn every language

Why have a brain at all when hardware is so useful

Why can't everyone just learn Esperanto instead?

Why have humans at all when machines do everything so much better

It's soulless and sounds like shit.

Unironically because the French shit themselves when they say how easy Esperanto is to read and write, and they started a World War in order to prevent it from becoming lingua franca. However, in their hubris, they made English the default world language, permanently damning Americans to be monolingual.

Es bueno saberlo user, sigue así!

What are you going to do about it?