Redpill me on this series i never played it, is the fan translated gba version of mother 1 the way to start?

redpill me on this series i never played it, is the fan translated gba version of mother 1 the way to start?

Attached: Untitled.jpg (369x270, 20.75K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cdromance.com/nes-roms/mother-restored-hack/
romhacking.net/hacks/2211/
romhacking.net/hacks/5923/
youtube.com/watch?v=yQUN7QAnMp0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

meh? Pacing is pretty jacked, combat is boring in all 3 games but in the third game has the pretense of "rhythm" combat which doesn't really add anything except let you pretend you're interacting with the game. Music is a mess none of the songs are particularly good but they're cute. Earthbound in particular is farty as all hell. Game does not earn how preachy they can be like holy fuck is it embarrassingly written. Also itoi went full propaganda in the third one. They're weak but only well known or even celebrated for being nintendo RPGs, not for being good games.

Play Earthbound first. You'll only appreciate the first game later unless you're already a fan of NES-era JRPGs.

it doesn't matter where you start, but 1 is the hardest and less polished than the other titles

1 is the best game in the series
cdromance.com/nes-roms/mother-restored-hack/

its recommended to play mother 2 before 3 because of important things from 2 being in 3
mother 1 works as both the first game played and a prequel to 2, so play 1 whenever

Attached: E-JhJnqVgAU8f_l.jpg (2048x1889, 321.36K)

Just play Mother 3, the other two are boring and outdated

Start anywhere but 3. It holds up standalone, but there's direct references to 2. 2 sort of has references to 1, but there's a bunch of retcon making them negligible.

Play Mother 2 on the SNES 1st op

>mother
very grindy, primitive jrpg with quirky but sometimes creepy americana setting. even though i grew up with turn based jrpgs, at this point in my life if i'm going to replay this game i have to disable the random encounters (the rate is brutal) to my liking. its a fun game if you can tolerate old school nes jrpgs, but i wouldnt say its necessary to enjoy the rest of the series.
>mother2/earthbound
one of my favorite jrpgs ever. it almost feels like mother was a proof of concept for this game. they are very similar in a lot of ways, including many of the characters. its aged a lot better than the first game. you can see the enemies on screen and can choose to despawn them, dodge them, or fight them so its better than totally random encounters. this is the best game in the series by far.
>mother 3
this game has a lot darker tone and more serious story. its instantly recognizable as a mother game, but i feel like the more serious direction they took things just felt out of place. the other games felt like continuous adventures whereas mother 3 has chapters, lots of character switching, and shows the passage of time. its still a good game but i dont feel like it even comes close to surpassing earthbound. its a better game than the first mother, but thats in part because of how primitive the first game is.

>is the fan translated gba version of mother 1 the way to start?
maybe? there's also a patch for the NES version which uses the same translation. so that might be better.
romhacking.net/hacks/2211/

>All enemy graphics, NPC sprites and tiles are be redrawn from scratch to be more faithful to the clay models. The goofy enemies are goofier and the creepy enemies are creepier. A shiny new font and title screen was added, too!
>The overworld has been tweaked to be much less bleak and repetitive, so it’s harder to get lost. There is more scenery, areas are more colorful and confusing areas like Duncan’s factory have been simplified. On the other hand, tiny areas like the Cemetery or Snowman have been expanded.
>There are also a lot of changes under the hood. Enemies will yield slightly more exp and the encounter rate has been readjusted. The “Dangerous Foe” battle theme is used less often and party members will be met at a higher level. DragonDePlatino’s goal in creating this hack was to make Mother less challenging

Attached: 67b.jpg (600x450, 77.59K)

romhacking.net/hacks/5923/
this patch seems to just provide the translation if that's more your style.

Earthbound takes time to get going, but once you get the momentum going and get your partners, it's a fun turn based RPG.
Mother 3 is a great game, one of the best turn based RPGs out there. A lot of people like Earthbound more, but I think that might be nostalgia. Then again, I need to replay it again as an adult to get a better opinion on it. It's more forgiving, though, and more polished. Both games are really funny, so you gotta talk to everyone and really enjoy exploring towns and such to get the full game.
Never played Mother 1.

That's the one linked, it's pre-patched and ready to drop into an emulator immediately.
To address the shit taste ITT, it's the one you should start with if you aren't a pleb.
>b-but muh 80s JRPG has grinding
So? There are practically only two parts of the game that require grinding, the second one is when you can teleport freely to a very easy grinding spot, and the first is the start of the game.
You won't be able to just walk straight from your house to the end of the first quest/chapter [/spoiler]and that's a good thing.

I think myself would prefer 25th anniversary edition, but still think it's great you can play the version you guys enjoy.

>i want my children's games to be even easier
just watch a youtube longplay at that point senpai

Gba translation is better as it is completely uncensored. I played Mother 1 first and will finally go for Mother 2 soon. Great game, some of the best music I've heard in a game. There's even a full CD for the first game with actual singing and lyrics. Fucking beautiful too.

>redpill me on this
Ok, umm, It's an allegory for trans-rights in capitalist post-modern society. There ya go.

>redpill me on this series i never played it
Its the critically acclaimed SNES flop that inspired most indie games today. Knock yourself out

The concept of "RPG that isn't medieval fantasy" was novel back when Mother first released, but nowadays it's not so groundbreaking anymore. If you keep that in mind, you can appreciate more the games for the innovations they were.

listen, these meme games are only good if you understand what it means to be a 90s kid. if you're not a 90s kid then you won't understand their quirkly and unique style, so don't even try zoomer. just chill out and play blunderfail why don't you. it's more your speed.

but seriously now, I never played the first game, I played 2 and 3. Earthbound is about a boy on a quest to save the world from a great and ancient evil that threatens its existence. In terms of actual gameplay, it's very basic, but that's not where the draw lies. No, it's the themes, the character dialogue, the atmosphere, and overall presentation that make it truly unique. it deals with some heavy subject matter while still managing to stay lighthearted when it's warranted. basically, it has expert shifts in tone. you'll be fine playing any one of them because they're not direct sequels, each story is self contained.

sovl
youtube.com/watch?v=yQUN7QAnMp0