If Nintendo had just done this from the start the GameCube would have been a massive success

If Nintendo had just done this from the start the GameCube would have been a massive success.

Attached: panasonic q.png (800x538, 308.31K)

Unironically true. They also wouldn't have been hampered by retarded mini disc size restrictions, either.

Precisely! Nintendo is always so afraid of piracy, and it's somewhat valid but its hampers them many times over.

20+ years later, Nintendo fans can't accept that gamers liked PS2 and Xbox because of their games, and to this day blame the Gamecube's loss (and its rivals' victory) on DVD playback and not its software.

What would it have retailed for?

Even if it cost 50 dollars more that would still be 50 dollars less than the xbox and ps2

Did the Gamecube launch cheaper than the PS2? That's the only thing that could have made it a worthy contender- being a really cheap DVD player.

Maybe more of those games would've made it over if they didn't have to chop them up and compress the cutscenes more than they already have.

for gamers sure
but for the mainstream success, the dvd ability of the ps2 was crucial

most people might not have bought more than fifa, gta and the likes but the ps2 sold immensely
and guess what, more people buy your console and all of a sudden more games are made for it.

mini-DVDs cost it having GTA games.
i heard though that the stories games started with the goal of working on gamecube before moving to PSP.

This. People release games for hardware that has an actual install base. That's why the Wii U floundered while the Switch is flourishing, even though the hardware is total shit.

If nintendo had allowed full sized dvds they would've gotten way more 3rd party support than they actually did, which is a lot more important than dvd playback. It's not about watching movies, it's about full size games on full size dvds.

Literally the only reason my dad bought me a PS2 over a gamecube was the fact it could play DVDs

Gamecube games were rushed pieces of shit for the most part
>SSBM
>Super Mario Sunshine
>Metroid Prime
>Wind Waker
>Star Fox Adventures
>Wario World
Not to mention the shitty DK Bongo games.

Gamers liked games, but PS2 was sold as a cheap DVD player, not a gaming console.

hot take. hot as in mexican food diarrhea

And because of that, a ton of people bought it and it got lots of games for that reason.

>the shitty DK Bongo games
your post was funny but thats pushing it buddy
dk bongo shit was straight up fun and i played the shit out of them because im a based person

shitty dust magnet

Attached: IMG_20220711_031452.jpg (1872x3328, 1.13M)

Reggie hated them
>“I have to tell you, as an executive, I hated Donkey Konga. I hated it. I fought with our parent company. I thought it was going to hurt the Donkey Kong brand. Personally, I didn’t find it a lot of fun to play. I pushed back hard.

Reggie Kong is just an uncle tom

But that's wrong, even at launch there were cheaper DVD players than the PS2. Why would someone spend twice as much money on a PS2 if they just wanted a cheap DVD player and not a gaming console?

Attached: CircuitCity2000Holidays.jpg (3000x2000, 836.8K)

No, they still fucked over major devs due to thier Gen 4 attitudes.

it probably would have still failed like the wii u and n64. nintendo's consoles have been doing poorly for a long time now other than the wii. their handheld game is ridiculous though.

I couldn't agree more. I rarely say this meme word, but it's a hell of a lot of cope from Microsoft and Nintendo fans. They literally can't comprehend how they lost the 6th generation

Stop parroting this nonsense. I am tired of underage idiots saying this bullshit. In 2001, DVD players were pretty affordable and only became more affordable as the years went on. You don't get these kind of numbers because its' a DVD player. This bullshit revisionist history has to stop. You could find a DVD player for 100 - 200 dollars at the start of the millennium and it only got cheaper as time went on

Attached: 1566508075514.gif (650x366, 2.58M)

because it was a dvd player and a console in one you dingus

how many of you faggots were actually alive at the time?
the ps2 was the first time at all people were talking about dvd players, i didnt even know what a fucking dvd was but i knew that the ps2 was a dvd player

and for most people it was a no brainer
>i want a console and a dvd player (back in the day physical movies was a big deal)
>i am going to get a dvd player regardless of what tv, or vidya i get
>hold up this console IS a dvd player??
other route
>cool the new sony console was just announced
>oh and i dont need to additionally buy a dvd if i get one since it already is one? awesome

it was too good to be true at the time and ironically had literal movies and actual good games
nowadays consoles are a joke comparatively since they dont have games and cant play movies but the games are movies

Attached: 1655891820649.jpg (474x644, 111.2K)

You can see South America

It wasn't even that DVD's were expensive back in 2001, it was more so almost everything was still coming out on VHS. It was just the more common media still for movies and shit.

>>SSBM
Actually turned out to be a better game *because* it was rushed.
>> Super Mario Sunshine
I agree it didn't measure up to 64, but it wasn't bad.
>>Metroid Prime
One of the few legitimate masterpieces on the cube. The control scheme is hard to go back to, but you're smoking crack if you think the game is shit.
>>Wind Waker
Kind of agree here. The game is still good IMO, but lots of what was planned had to be scrapped because it was rushed, and the pacing + structure of the game suffered as a result.
>>Star Fox Adventures
Not really going to try and defend this one. It's okay.
>>Wario World
Somehow I missed that this game even existed until a few years ago. I was obsessed with my gamecube back in the day yet this completely passed me by. Don't have an opinion on it either way. You might be right.

? I watch 4k blu rays on my xbox

>Gamers liked games, but PS2 was sold as a cheap DVD player, not a gaming console.
This is somewhat true with the PS3 and Blu-Ray, but not the PS2/DVD. PS2 dominated because everyone and their brother had one for the games.

From what I remember having rented Wario World, it was a very short game.

>i want a console and a dvd player
Yes, this type of customer existed.
>i dont need to additionally buy a dvd if i get one since it already is one?
Yes, this type of customer also existed.
>i will buy the PS2 because it is the cheapest DVD player.
This type of customer didn't exist, because it wasn't the cheapest DVD player at the time. That is what I was pointing out, and you jumped in by redirecting to 2 other hypothetical consumer patterns which weren't even being discussed.

What you just put them on top the xbox and stare at the case?

>because it was a dvd player and a console in one
it also happened to be cheaper than the other dvd players on the market, somehow, so if it's the year 2000 and you DON'T have a ps2 you're basically retarded

I'll buy it off you user

>This type of customer didn't exist, because it wasn't the cheapest DVD player at the time
In the developing world it was. Hence the huehue fans

>The ps2 was the first time at all people were talking about dvd players, i didnt even know what a fucking dvd was but i knew that the ps2 was a dvd player
How fucking young are you? It's a good combo, but you type like some fucking "zoomer" that didn't live during the time. The Xbox had a DVD player and it bombed. Don't pull the shit about the 20 dollar dongle and remote, the older visions didn't even need it

I always knew Reggie was based