Why do so many people have a problem with server browsers...

Why do so many people have a problem with server browsers? You suggest them as a solution when a game is suffering problems with matchmaking and people get really irritable about it.

They're really not that hard or inconvenient to use. I genuinely can't remember the last time I couldn't quickly find a match in a game because the server browser didn't work. Why do people treat them like some mammoth inconvenience?

Attached: tf2 server browser.jpg (1280x1024, 281.49K)

This might be a bit too much for you, but sometimes I want to play something more than 2fort or hightower with carts removed.

the problem is that since matchmaking was introduced there are way less servers and the ones remaining are generally shit and/or use gay custom settings like no crits or whatever

I only ever used the server browser. In fact I didn't even know there was matchmaking until years later.

You have a solid selection of mostly standard servers that run variety maps of everything that people actually play in casual matchmaking. They also run custom maps, which casual never will.
It's really hard for me to understand why no random crits is a dealbreaker for people. Crits are either occasionally funny or they ruin a fun fight by instantly ending it on a chance. It just feels like a principle thing where people are for some reason angry that they'd deign to tweak the game from vanilla

it's not that i need crits, it's that i don't like the people who want them removed
"competitive" autism has no place in tf2 and i don't want to play with those people.

>this makes zoomers shit and piss themselves

move on from this ancient game, faggots.

and play what?

>YOU ARE CURRENTLY A GUEST LEVEL ACCOUNT AND MAY BE KICKED IF A VIP USER JOINS WHILE THE SERVER IS FULL
>Type /donate to learn how to become a VIP and earn all kinds of perks including x2 crit chance and double healing rate!

>search the browser for one of my favorite maps (eg. ctf_doublecross)
>the only active server with that map 24/7 has few players, and is modded (no random crits)
>forced to play matchmaking in order to experience the map with many players in a vanilla environment
This shit is why. Community servers are always great to have, but they aren't the magic solution for everything. Sometimes there is insufficient supply to meet the demand.

Attached: 1621057884866.png (870x491, 157.58K)

grug no want look for server
grug want press button play game

Attached: bloat.png (827x894, 1.59M)

I'm not sure I understand your complaint. TF2 as a basic concept is designed to be played to win. People will play literally any game, no matter how simple, to win.

You don't really need to be plan to become a comp pro TF2 player and sweat super hard all the time to be able to enjoy the QoL improvements offered by nocrit and class limits and despite Uncle Dane being a big comp player I rarely feel like his playerbase is all compheads. He has too many servers for that.

No random crits is boring. You know you're going to escape certain matchups with it gone, but with it on every encounter is a gamble. I just wish I can tell which melee swings were crits

Honestly? If matchmaking as it currently existed didn't exist, it'd be more likely that a 24/7 doublecross server would be genuinely populated. Part of the issue with casual matchmaking is that people are so disgustingly lazy that they'll never bother with community servers if the option is available.
There's also a site that you can set up to send you alerts when a map you like is being played, funnily enough.

My speculation is that the majority of newer generations grew up with different UIs that tend to cripple user options in favor of tedious, mind-game-playing menus that are designed to keep users engaged in dopamine loops, so something as simple as the option to sort by latency or playercount with a single mouseclick is completely lost on them. They expect the UI to spoonfeed them the path of least resistance (to what the company wants the consumers eyes to be on), rather than needing them to actually pay attention to the menu and make their own choices.

grug click bottom button instead of top button
grug type "skial"
grug click server that say "america"
play game fast anyway

Going around any corner is already a gamble in an FPS, crit just turns any engagement no matter how small into a question of whether one of you is going to get lucky and instantly win, which gets old fast. There's a reason no other FPS fucks with it.

>server browser right under vanilla browser
>no retarded advertising placements to slow down UI
TAKE ME BACK

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 107.33K)

There could be something to that- I find the amount of shit Apex Legends constantly shoves in your face kind of nauseating, for instance.

Attached: ScreenHunter 97.jpg (1914x1075, 543.3K)

Let me guess; Australian? Fucking hate that shit. Basically any relatively niche game almost never has a playerbase here, and if it does they're always playing the worst fucking gamemodes. Of course there's nothing but 2fort and tdm_hightower in TF2, but then you go to a game like Quake Live and it's nothing but fucking boomers playing 24/7 Clan Arena all day every day, with maybe an FFA match every now and then.

Attached: 7dl7c6x5kwv81.jpg (486x750, 68.58K)

I think the Dane servers have HK and Sydney options if the tweaks they have don't irritate you, but I do feel for strayans playing old shooters

I saw one of his Aussie servers filled up ONCE. Never seen it with players since.

>crit just turns any engagement no matter how small into a question of whether one of you is going to get lucky and instantly win
Disingenuously wrong. You don't get a guaranteed crit encounter on every engagement, only the chance for it. Other games feature RNG spread (albeit this is removed for specific recoil patterns in more competitive games like CSGO) that functionally acts like crits since it affects your shots and if it'll randomly headshot people and do more damage.
Me personally, I always play vanilla with the assumption that I will not get a crit, while my enemy's next shot will be one.

>can't read
>bullet spread functionally acts like crits
Jesus christ.