He was right

He was right.
Jap devs didn't know what the fuck they were doing at the time.

Attached: phil-fish.jpg (600x300, 17.88K)

Neither does Fish. I'm still amazed that a small indie game like his suffered from so many performance issues on PC. Holy fuck, European devs are just dogshit programmers in general but no one ever calls them out for some reason.

I hate indie games that are designed to be enjoyed by journalists.
You can't change my mind
sage

what ever happen to this loser?

Works on my PC

Fez was a decent game

He got really butthurt due to the blowback from his comment and cancelled Fez 2
Not really sure where he's at now, don't really care either

He said that in 2012. Let's see. In 2000-2012 alone we got:
>Gravity Rush
>Dark Souls
>Dragon's Dogma
>Bayonetta
>Demon's Souls
>Mario Galaxy 2
>Super Street Fighter IV
>Persona 4
All interesting titles that stand out compared to your shitty Batman games and brown shitstain palette western shooters of the time.

meant 2009-2012

>>Gravity Rush
not relevant at all. zero relevance. gimmick game abandoned by sony because they hate money when it belongs renewed in VR. making his point for him.
>>Dark Souls
all-time relevant game
>>Dragon's Dogma
not relevant. pc coop rpg release single player on consoles running at 30 fps. ?????????? dd2 will be a 8 million seller minimum
>>Bayonetta
not relevant at all. just a copy of dmc
>>Demon's Souls
you already put dark souls. DeS was not as good
>>Mario Galaxy 2
nintendo stuff is nintendo stuff. it kind of existsoutside the entire game industry, on its own island
>>Super Street Fighter IV
not relevant, completely dead genre
>>Persona 4
not relevant, completely dead/casual-only genre

I don't normally go down peoples points one by one like this, but you just failed to make any point. You listed one relevant game, and it fucking largely copies western design

Holy shit now that's some hardcore delusion.

it's "delusion" to you because you want to like japanese things because you think you're supposed to

but i've played video games since 1986, way since you were born-- i saw japanese complete dominance cede very quickly because they refuse to ever do anything new, they just make the same things over and over again. the japanese game industry more or less completely stopped innovating by the late 90s, settled on a singular aesthetic and pumped out copies upon copies of the same games. almost all creativity and genre-breaking/creating things in video gaming in the past 25 years have been western.

period.

And that was only because companies like Square Enix and Capcom were trying to be more like western studios in the PS3/360 era. America fucks everything up yet again.

way before you were born* had a seizure

And for each game you listed, Jap devs were squeezing out 5 games like Resident Evil 6
They really lost sight of what made their games unique during the first half of that generation and couldn't stop themselvs from aping western AAA games

If I remember correctly, he's a DJ now

>you want to like japanese things because you think you're supposed to
Or because they make good games? Everything in that post is completely wrong except for maybe gravity rush. You are a fucking moron.

didn't read + nigger can't read the room after dragon dogma 2 announcement released LMAO

you lied in almost every single thing
either that or you're a fucking retard, a simple google would prove you wrong.

90% of "his" game was programmed by another dude.

>European
What the fuck are you talking about?

but the point isn't whether those games are good or not. all those games are good

the point is whether those games are meaningful, relevant, or did anything whatsoever to drive the industry forward in any way

one of them did. one.

want to bet moeny on DD2 sales?

its funny cause i ask people on Any Forums to bet money all the time when they take stupid fucking positions, but nobody ever wants to bet! how strange

he fancies himself a designer more than a developer rightly speaking. but fez was a bad game. nobody should pay attention to this guy, however, his sentiment here was 100% absolutely correct

If your perspective is jrpg, he was not wrong. people hated on bioware when they called out jrpgs for the lazy garbage they are, but bioware were right. games like Dragon's Dogma actually succeeded because they were inspired by the big wrpgs at the time.

>but fez was a bad game.
Why?
I thought it was a fine puzzle platformer. Had a great soundtrack too.

>but the point isn't whether those games are good or not. all those games are good
You said i want to like them because I'm "supposed" to and I said its because they're good. Can you not even keep up with 2 posts?
>one of them did. one.
Mario is eternally relevant which you just handwaved with no argument.
Street fighter is eternally relevant which you again handwaved with no argument.
You have no idea what you're talking about

too obtuse/up its own ass (i'm so smart) nobody wants that out of a simple puzzle platform game

the gameplay wasn't engaging or interesting, the gimmick which he thought was so great just felt boring

it doesn't ever matter if something is different than what's come before if the general feel is off. and that describes fez. innovative but just generally not that pleasant. made by a guy who hates life, comes through in the game design.

Last I recall he didn't even make the game, most of it was a different guy, while Fishsticks is busy being absurdly fucking mad at him throughout the Indie Movie The Movie movie.

>bet money
OK nigger, to entertain you some more you're being more autistic than me to suggest betting payment processor info for your niggerish pride is the dumbest fucking thing ever have this fucking brick of text instead of a spaced out reply because it's the same amount of quality you deserve you fucking faggot holy shit

fez is still the best puzzle game ever made

>Mario is eternally relevant which you just handwaved with no argument.
correct on both counts
>Street fighter is eternally relevant
It simply is not, and I say this as someone who played SFII in an arcade on the day it arrived. You don't understand "relevance" because you did not even exist during that era. you can't understand the MASSIVE dropoff in cultural relevance within vidya that fighting games had. they are not relevant, period. the genre is dead

He didn't have to be an insufferable faggot about it. Could have just said "I think Japanese devs have lost their identity in trying to target a global market."

>too obtuse/up its own ass (i'm so smart)
I got this feeling while playing The Witness. Still enjoyed it.
Never felt the same way while playing Fez, though.

Who tf is that? Whats that shit on his face? I could grow a better beard at 15, whats he, like 40? Never listen to people with shit facial hair, you may as well listen to a woman.

>ignores the first part of my post
kek nice one
>It simply is not
And you simply don't know what you're talking about.
>You don't understand "relevance" because you did not even exist during that era.
You keep saying shit like this as if it matters at all. It's completely irrelevant and makes you come across extremely insecure about your opinions.

the witness guy is 100% the embodiment of that shit

i ignored it because it's meaningless. whether or not you like them isn't the point. whether they are meaningful to the industry/people is

japanese have made retreads for 25 years, you are a zoomer, you have no idea about this topic.

>You keep saying shit like this as if it matters at all.
LOL

I unironically miss this guy. Compared to the shitshow everything is today, getting drama over some indie dev saying japanese games are shit seems quaint.

He's not an American that's for sure

shut up phil no one cares

>i ignored it because it's meaningless
No you ignored it because you said something stupid and got called out.
>LOL
I accept your concession. What an embarrassing tard.

>pc coop rpg release single player on consoles running at 30 fps
what?

Unlike American devs, I feel like Japanese studios would be happy making PS2 games forever.

you can't "call me out" if you think video games like bayonetta and street fighter iv are meaningful to the video game industry

i stand 100% by what i said

you play jrpgs and that says everything about you as a vidya consumer. i guarantee you don't own baba is you, noita, or return of the obra dinn. not even outer wilds.

Why is the nigger talking about relevance when Fez is completely lost to the ether at this point?
Absolutely nobody gives a shit outside his Californian friends.

>>Super Street Fighter IV
>not relevant, completely dead genre
Literally a revival of the genre and record attendance/entrant numbers at EVO just because of this game.

>A logic puzzle game that literally no one imitates
>Another action roguelite
>Echo Night but it's Western so it's innovative
whew lad

you're getting called out because you're a contrarian faggot nigger mining for (you)s

>you play jrpgs and that says everything about you as a vidya consumer.
I actually don't. But you're really good at making inaccurate assumptions about people.
>i guarantee you don't own baba is you, noita, or return of the obra dinn. not even outer wilds.
Huh? What does that have to do with anything?

>record numbers at EVO

>reduces extremely innovative and unique games to nothing whilst defending persona iv and like 5 other games that are exact copies of other games

lel, j-gamer mindset in a bubble

Attached: flat,800x800,075,f[1].jpg (800x453, 39.39K)

>n-noooooo
>its not relevant because i played sf2 in the arcades!!!!
>im older than you reeeeeeeeeeee

>Revival of the genre
Revival of mainstream relevance sure, but the polar opposite happened as far as upward growth.
Indie games started getting more rare, licensed games that weren't arena based getting less and less, virtually no new IPs anymore, etc.

>Huh? What does that have to do with anything?

h-huh??????????? so what if i don't play any innovative games???????

oh you actually don't have a PC, LMAO, nevermind

/thread

btw if youre a console-only you are a secondary to video games and don't even get to talk about them...go enjoy some BTS or whatever normie shit kids are into these days

got too greedy with this bait friend.

Yeah, it seems a lot of B-tier Jap devs are making the same shit menu games but with fancier particle effects

Nobody cares go back to /fgg/

Wasn't his game Fez a rip off of a old game?
And how ironic, a indie game dev talking shit about japanese games when all they do is regurgitate japanese games from the 80s and 90s with a new paint.

I love Obra Dinn and wish more games like it were made, but it genuinely is essentially indie Echo Night. Which is not a bad thing, I wanted a new Echo Night for ages now.

>h-huh??????????? so what if i don't play any innovative games???????
So those are the only "innovative" games?
>oh you actually don't have a PC, LMAO, nevermind
All i play is PC.
user all you've done is make really terrible arguments and inaccurate assumptions while also making an ass of yourself. Genuinely embarrassing.

Attached: 1633887478728.jpg (1484x1080, 373.01K)

The actual programmer is Canadian, probably fish too but I won't waste a click on him. For sure it's not European.